Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Journal Is About IBS page

Timthetaco Guest

This Journal Is About IBS

Primal Fuel
    I spend literally all of my time thinking about IBS - what it is, how to fix it, and how it affects my life. I have a lot of time to think about it since I resigned from my job for health reasons and have had to dissolve my former life with my wife into one bedroom in my parents' house. I wouldn't ever recommend doing such a thing, but life is what it is. Now our life is in storage and we have to live off the occasional student aid and money from my family. Such emotional stress only serves to exacerbate colonic spasms (I have a good study on that worth sharing), which delays my recovery even further. If that weren't enough, I seem to be a rare and interesting case of IBS in that I have occasional outbursts of violent rage. I've never seen anyone else relate such severe psychological symptoms with IBS, so I feel like I can't even relate to other people with IBS. Bummer that.

I decided to start a journal so I could actually have a repository for my thoughts. Don't have any friends, and even if I did, IBS is never a common topic in real life. Being riddled with anxiety (social and otherwise) pretty much relegates me to the indoors, stuck in front of a computer screen, resenting my life. And I can only bother my wife so much about my stupid colon. She'll listen and offer support, but she can't understand. So with no other outlet, I figured why not create a journal.

I do get outside and feel happy on occasion, but that only correlates with my bowel movements, which are infrequent and difficult. Following my most recent bout of constipation, I flushed out my system in desperation (thx magnesium citrate!) and suffered from what I imagine was an overcolonization of c. diff. Violent gas shooting around my abdomen like a pinball machine, terrible fatigue and dehydration and foul, green, watery diarrhea for a week until I connected the dots and started taking Florastor. That helped tremendously, so I'm still taking it. Unfortunately that's the only probiotic that offers me any kind of relief. Any other probiotic I've bought over the years has been nothing more than a damn waste of my money.

These days I'm eating lots of fermentable fiber from sweet potatoes, plantains and beets and lean meats. I don't like many fruits, so I've been known to just snack on sugar instead. No nightshades, no dairy, and no damn caffeine. Caffeine makes me feel terrible.

That's all for now.

Liftinglife is offline Senior Member
    This sounds unfortunate, I have IBS and over the years have learned to manage it with certain foods. For anger, I think some therapy would help. I wish I had more or better advice or some comforting words of wisdom but I don't. Keep journaling! Hope to hear more from you.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Good luck and keep us informed. I take it you've tried eating Primal for some time?
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry to read all that Tim We've both been on the forum for a while but I havent really connected with you before. I hope things work out.

If it's any encouragement: having a journal on MDA has been one of the most life changing things I've ever done. In the space of 8 months I overcame an ED (that I'd had for 13 years), got rid of depression (31 years), and most lately have dealt with some severe trauma that was stopping me from moving forward in my life. There's something magic about journalling, if it's approached in the right way. And there's some amazingly enlightened and kind people here who only want to help. I bet this will be the first step in a new departure for you

Good luck.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftinglife View Post
    This sounds unfortunate, I have IBS and over the years have learned to manage it with certain foods.
    How do you manage yours?

Quote Originally Posted by MaceyUK View Post
    Good luck and keep us informed. I take it you've tried eating Primal for some time?
    Yeah, I came to paleo through low carb. I made the switch in late 2011, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm sorry to read all that Tim We've both been on the forum for a while but I havent really connected with you before. I hope things work out.

If it's any encouragement: having a journal on MDA has been one of the most life changing things I've ever done. In the space of 8 months I overcame an ED (that I'd had for 13 years), got rid of depression (31 years), and most lately have dealt with some severe trauma that was stopping me from moving forward in my life. There's something magic about journalling, if it's approached in the right way. And there's some amazingly enlightened and kind people here who only want to help. I bet this will be the first step in a new departure for you
    Appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad you're finally seeing progress. I remember reading your older posts. You've been struggling for a while.

Liftinglife is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    How do you manage yours?

Yeah, I came to paleo through low carb. I made the switch in late 2011, I believe.

Appreciate the kind words, and I'm glad you're finally seeing progress. I remember reading your older posts. You've been struggling for a while.
    I have to avoid to much dairy, high amounts of seeds and nuts, and while I can have them in small quantities like a few nuts to garnish a salad, I can't eat nuts as a go to snack at all. Which sucks, cuz they are so yummy. I really miss icecream too! But once I notice a food causing problems I avoid it all together. It may help to do a cleanse and just add in one food a week and assess your tolerance.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I have IBS, too. Some of my triggers are pokey seeds, citrus or kiwi, and - apparently - chocolate!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Pleasure And yeah, I was struggling for 31 years I feel like night is finally over. Your day will come - keep the faith <3

I also have IBS-CD. It hasnt been an issue since I started on the Peat woe, but a few weeks ago I went through a lot of stress and it came back. Eating lots of carbs (sugar over starch) and keeping fibre low keeps me good in general.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Timthetaco Guest
    Ll - I actually discovered the problem with nightshades after my doctor gave me Bentyl. I took one dose in the morning and had about a pound and half of mashed potatoes that night. All the sudden, I... needed more Bentyl! And it happened again either the next day or a few days later. The wife and I stopped at a breakfast diner on our way to Flagstaff for a bluegrass festival (amazing, by the way) where I had two entrees, both with a large side of potatoes. When we got there, I was feeling off again, so I decided to eat something, and the only non-wheat carbohydrates they offered was potato chips. And I felt off for the rest of the day. Good news was they had a vendor selling steak sandwiches, and you could order a whole tri-tip! It was just the two of us so we didn't, but I'll be damned if we didn't think about it. My wife ordered hers without a bun and the man said "Paleo style? You got it."

KG - I think you actually have IBD, not IBS. I think any gastroenterologist would be compelled by the story of your trip to the emergency room with uveitis. IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, so you would go through the same diagnostics I did, but I think for you they would actually find something. Have you not considered a colonoscopy?

YB - I do better with sugar, too. Unfortunately there's no fruit I can dive into like a container of brown sugar, so I'm known to just do that. I need to find one.

Timthetaco Guest
    It's been a while, but I actually feel compelled to provide and update since I've actually been seeing measurable improvements. I'm not used to things actually working for my IBS, but I've focused in on a few strategies that seem to keep me mostly sane. I have colonic spasms, confirmed by colonoscopy, but I have no desire to take Bentyl or Linzess, so I eat raw garlic (which really, fucking ow) and drink peppermint tea. I've seen them both on lists for natural anti-spasmodics, and the lists must not be lying, because they offer considerable relief from my spasms.

On top of the garlic and the tea, I've been taking Florastor and Culturelle daily. I've had my share of bad luck with cheap probiotics in the past, so I decided to try an expensive one, and I've had pretty remarkable success. My stools are actually a fairly deep brown these days instead of a light brown/green that I'm used to. I've been evacuating without pain and actually experiencing normal urgency. I had honestly forgotten what it felt like to have to take a shit, much less actually being able to do it so easily.

The only problem lately has been uncontrollable anxiety, but that's not exactly a new thing in my life. So my recipe for success so far: garlic peppermint tea as needed, Florastor and Culturelle daily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast