Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm Stuck!! page

lmdavenport is offline Member

Question Help! I'm Stuck!!

I can't figure out how to play & grok it out!

Here's the story:
    I moved to Los Angeles 10 months ago (Canoga Park for those that know the area). I had been trying for five years or more to move here, since it's a much better area for a single person than where I used to live. All my friends were here, the jobs were here.... anyways. I moved heaven & earth to move here.

By the time I got here, all my friends had moved away. I'm starting from scratch. I moved into a great apartment. I joined a gym that's about 2 miles away. I have a great church that is about 7 or 8 miles away (most folks from the church travel over 20 miles to come there).

I wasn't able to find a job, so I started my own business. This means I DO have free time at odd times of the day since I set my own schedule.

My biggest issue with play is that because I'm new and don't have many friends here, I don't know where to go, and when it comes to play, I don't know what to do. Once a week, I meet my ex on his lunch break for a 30 minute hike. He's a hard-core gym rat, so doesn't want to give up his lunchtime workout much, but he does like the hikes. I just feel and know I need to be doing more! Even though I've been here 10 months, I'm still not sure how safe my neighborhood is for evening activities.

I watch the kids in the courtyard play and I'm envious. I don't like kids, so I sure don't want to play with them, but I want to run around and scream and yell and chase things like them, but with my own friends.

(Please don't take this as a woe is me pity rant because I don't have many friends. My circle is growing, and I'm perfectly content OTHER than this exercise thing!)

Here's my other snafu - I started thinking Roller Derby would be a BLAST! But.... Monday night I have church. I'm out of town Wednesday & Thursday taking care of clients in my old neighborhood (120 miles from my house). Saturdays I have church again. I go to school full time completing the last few units for my bachelor's degree, and of course, I'm working like crazy to grow my business. When I think of joining a sports team or something, I first look at how out of shape I am, then look at my schedule, and can't figure out how to make it work.

So........... HELP! lol

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member
    Buy dumbbells/kettlebels and swing them around like crazy? Fill up a big bag with sand and try to throw it over your shoulder 10 times, then sprint to it and carry it back on your back (even if it doesn't end up far away from you)?
    Are there mountains near? I'm not suggesting you start mountain climbing without any proper training or equipment, but maybe you can stay at the foot and just climb some big rocks?

I must note that I'm not fully Primal (well, if you consider potatoes and rice Primal, then I guess I am Primal) and I don't do any of the above. I would if I had the space for it. I certainly have the time. But that are just a few things that you can do in relatively short time (10-15 minutes) and don't require a gym membership (or friends. ).

It depends on what you think is fun, though. You might see that as "workouts" instead of play.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
    Buy dumbbells/kettlebels and swing them around like crazy? Fill up a big bag with sand and try to throw it over your shoulder 10 times, then sprint to it and carry it back on your back (even if it doesn't end up far away from you)?
    Are there mountains near? I'm not suggesting you start mountain climbing without any proper training or equipment, but maybe you can stay at the foot and just climb some big rocks?
    Great suggestions! I have stuff at home and can NOT get myself to use them. I know I need to get out of the house, because otherwise I sit and work instead. I can ALWAYS think up a reason I should be at my computer rather than getting outside. Saturday I didn't see sunlight at all

Hey, at least you're bringing in money! (to buy a bench on which you can do bench presses!! ... But pay the bills first, OK? xD)

If it isn't dark yet, I like to go on walks after work. I throw in some sprints, usually about 2-4, or none if I don't feel like it. Maybe that's another idea?

And if you're really desperate: take all of your workout stuff outside, lock the door, throw the key through the mailbox and hey! You have nothing else to do but workout! (Make sure your neighbors have a spare key and are at home, though. )

Hey, at least you're bringing in money! (to buy a bench on which you can do bench presses!! ... But pay the bills first, OK? xD)

If it isn't dark yet, I like to go on walks after work. I throw in some sprints, usually about 2-4, or none if I don't feel like it. Maybe that's another idea?

And if you're really desperate: take all of your workout stuff outside, lock the door, throw the key through the mailbox and hey! You have nothing else to do but workout! (Make sure your neighbors have a spare key and are at home, though. )
    Um.... not sure I'm bringing in money YET! I have one client that supports me lol. I've been thinking of taking my stuff outside. I think there's a park somewhere down the street..... again, not sure of the neighborhood though.

If you find a park with lots of people, some might join you for your workout. And I bet the people passing by might cheer you on if you get tired and sweaty. You might meet people who enjoy working out and maybe you can work out with them more often?

One client? How long have you had your own business? How do you LIVE!? Just kidding.

If you find a park with lots of people, some might join you for your workout. And I bet the people passing by might cheer you on if you get tired and sweaty. You might meet people who enjoy working out and maybe you can work out with them more often?

One client? How long have you had your own business? How do you LIVE!? Just kidding.
    It is SO tough! That one client is my parents I do have others, but they're very small. Maybe $100/MONTH. That's why I spend so much time on building my business. I need to have more clients, especially as my parents are selling their business.

And good point, people may join me….. I have a medicine ball, I think I'll look into getting a kettle ball. And don't forget, I DO have a gym membership. I just… haven't been. lol

100 a month?! O_O
    What kind of business do you have? What do you sell/offer?

I have no idea what a medicine ball is. I have the rather ironic image of a small stress-ball in my head right now. I assume it's a ball that you sit on while doing stretches, so it exercises your core and forces you to stay balanced?

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Get yourself a yoga ball, they are great to sit on for work and in the meantime you are training your abs.
    Honestly I can't believe that living where you live you can't find anything to do outside. I believe the weather is always great there. but a few ideas:
    - get yourself some skeelers. I love skeelering when the weather is nice.
    - if possible adopt a dog or offer to walk the dog of a neighbor. You'll meet lots of people like that as well.
    - join yoga or pilates classes.
    - I play tennis regularly. I think being able to do that outside would be a great idea in LA and many clubs have people who are looking for tennis-partners.
    - I love hiking I could imagine doing that regularly if I lived in your area.
    - I love horse-riding, maybe it's something you can do as well.
    - Mountain biking.
    - I don't know if you live close to the sea but paddle-boarding, surfing etc. are great ideas. A friend of mine does kite-surfing.
    - do you have a garden? Gardening also counts as play but you can also build your own play-ground with all these balance-exercises.
    - Use the city as your play area. I don't know what it's called but my cousin did this thing where he ran through the city, crossing buildings, steps, walls, everything that came across his paths. He really enjoyed that.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    [...]-get yourself some skeelers. I love skeelering when the weather is nice.

[...]
    - Use the city as your play area. I don't know what it's called but my cousin did this thing where he ran through the city, crossing buildings, steps, walls, everything that came across his paths. He really enjoyed that.
    [...]
    Aren't those Roller blades in English/American? Could be wrong, though...

And I think it's called "jumping" (not to be mistaken for the Dutch "Hakken" which is done on house-music. ) or something in Dutch. Not sure if it's international.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast