Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting page

K.ROB is offline Senior Member

Fasting

Shop Now
    Why do a lot of you fast? It just doesn't make sense to me. Grok didn't fast. There is no way he would. The only reason he didn't eat for periods of time was because he couldn't find food. Does this make sense. I haven't heard any clear reason on why we should fast. It doesn't seem like it would be good for the body.

Thanks

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Actually, the IF is something that our friend Grok would have done if he had been in situations where his food would take a bit longer to get to. The real purpose behind the IF is that it teaches the body to reach for the stored body fat as a way to find energy, rather than full out dependency on carbohydrates for survival. It is also good to help you release and shed excess water and a burn a fair amount of fat in a short period of time. It does not hurt the body if done once in a while and for no more than 24 hours at a time. Many Orthodox religions suggest fasts like this as part of their rituals.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Fasting sort of replicates what Grok experienced when he couldn't find food. It's surprisingly good for the body, actually.

I fast for weight loss, sometimes just skipping one meal, sometimes going an entire day. Other times I fast incidentally because I just don't have time to cook anything in the morning, or was so busy I just sort of forgot to eat.

Fasting isn't torture, and rarely do I actually get hunger pangs, even when fasting more than one meal. If you're not really hungry, and you don't really feel like you need to eat a meal or two, why not fast?

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.ROB View Post
    The only reason he didn't eat for periods of time was because he couldn't find food.
    I think thats the whole point of fasting on this program...to emulate that.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    There's a neat study cited in this article Mark did a while back about IF:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting/

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    This all opinion from what I've noticed.

The difference between fasting and starving is the mind. I can ensure you that if you are mentally reminding yourself you are not eating, you are not doing something healthy for yourself, you will destroy the benefits of the fast.

But if you are fasting under the impression that it is good for you, that you are losing fat (or whatever goal you have in mind) then that is exactly what will happen.

So if you are thinking about fasting, get the mind in order.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Ooer that's a really good point. I'm going to start calling you Sigmund. It's so easy to forget that the subconscious processes are effected by the conscious and vice versa. All and in it's the same entity with the same goals and we have to be communicating with our team.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Grol is offline Senior Member
    It makes no difference what I am thinking about when I fast. My body accesses fat stores and burns them. In fact, I'm pretty sure my body could care less what I think of the situation. It's just burning what it can without food in the kiln.

The Warrior diet makes a great argument for paleo peeps eating one meal a day and at night. It's been discussed a little around here before, but three square meals a day is purely a modern invention. Historically, even in Rome, we ate one big feast daily, and that was at night. Eating before that in those days was considered slothful and gluttonous. For a settlement of paleolithic humans that evening feast served several important purposes and eating by day was probably never more than the smallest of snacks for a little needed energy.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.ROB View Post
    The only reason he didn't eat for periods of time was because he couldn't find food.
    thats called "answering your own question"!

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    thats called "answering your own question"!
    True. Fat loss isn't a reason for me to be eating primal. I do it because its how we are supposed to eat.

Thanks for all the comments. I don't think I will doing a fast anytime soon though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast