Thread: Hamburger Bun Success! page

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

Hamburger Bun Success!

Primal Fuel
    I've been experimenting with hamburger buns for a while now; I'm okay eating my burger w/o a bun but the hubby and son really prefer to have their burger with a bun. After trying various different recipes this is what I came up with:

2 eggs
    2 T olive oil
    2 3 T yogurt or milk with lemon
    1 cup tapioca flour
    1/3 cup potato starch
    1/3 rice flour
    tsp baking soda
    1 T baking powder
    tsp salt
    rosemary
    garlic powder
    2 cups grated cheese
    about 2 T water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Mix wet ingredients together. Sift dry together. Mix the 2 together adding enough water to make the dough soft. Let rest 10 minutes. Line a sheet pan with parchment, scoop (I use a large ice cream scoop) the dough into English muffin rings (if you don't have EM rings you can make them by folding aluminum foil into the desired size and secure with paper clips), grease the rings otherwise the buns will stick. Bake for about 25 minutes.

IMG_3085.jpg

I think this dough would also work for focaccia. The dough looks stiff when you make it, but while it bakes it spreads so you need to confine it unless you want a flat bread, which could be nice too.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Seems like a lot of work for a bun.

Me personally just get over the cravings and live life without a bun ! A real burger will never be the same . Just Have to live with it like a lot of meals out there .

Although the paleo versions seems fun and great ideas , it's like 2 steps forward but 1 step backwards

From London England UK

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    How many good-sized buns does it make? Do they freeze? My boyfriend would like this, he's not primal and I either make or buy "bread" for him.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    If i need something to hold meat for a hand held meal I just use iceberg lettuce. Burgers I tend to just use a fork but the lettuce works good for philly steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How many good-sized buns does it make? Do they freeze? My boyfriend would like this, he's not primal and I either make or buy "bread" for him.
    I forgot to say it makes 5. They freeze very well, I split them before I freeze them, so you can just pop them in the toaster to warm them.

You can shape them small so they are the size of dinner rolls. They work really well to mop up sauce.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

caveBEE is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for posting a tested bun recipe. We also usually just eat the patty without a bun, but husband (DH? I suppose is what's used here?) (who is known as grokhness monstah on MDA) came up with this idea: big slices of turnip/rutabaga, boiled then fried... worked quite well! If you like turnip of course!
    Turnipbun.jpg
    Bacon is NOT the problem...
    check out our sometimes not so primal side at http://superfoodies.wordpress.com/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    CaveBee, that's sounds pretty good, I may have to try it!