Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins-the worst way of getting nutrition page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by brookcorbyn View Post
    The point of the paleo diet is to mimic the diet of our ancestors.
    And I thought it was all about re-examining the BS we've been taught the last 40 years about health, and looking back so that we can get some cues from when most people were lean and healthy. If I thought I was going to have to go out and spear squirrels and nutria, I'd have never have started eating this way.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    The "paleo diet" is a bumper sticker. What hides behind this simple formula is the concept that we are better adapted to a certain set of ingredients. But as omnivores, humans adapt constantly to what is available, with varying degrees of success. Humans are opportunistic eaters. So saying that that opportunism was at its best until 10 kYears ago is a little weird.

To my mind, what mostly happened, if I have to be simplistic, is that we introduced more and more crap, toxic pseudo-foods, distorted genuine stuff into weirdo shit, as industrialization progressed and demography increased. We found new ways to increase energy density, but that went with a decrease in (micro)nutrient density, coupled with a deteriorating environment (ecological, social, spiritual). In short, it is quite the essence of the Hindu era called Kali Yuga.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    The caveman lure got me here, though. I knew pets did best on wild food, wanted that for myself, and when I googled "wild human food" this was one of the results.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    I see a lot of posts of people who take vitamins and dietary supplements.
    The point of the paleo diet is to mimic the diet of our ancestors. I don't think the early man had a bottle of vitamins just laying around.
    About 99% of vitamins and supplements on the market are made in a lab. They are all synthetic vitamins that our body cannot absorb. The early man had no problem with getting all the nutrients needed to sustain a healthy lifestyle.

There are however natural organic vitamins on the market. But if you are following a paleo lifestyle then you should not need any supplements.
    Even though a few people are ripping you, I can see your point. You can be sure that eating this way will afford a person a much higher quantity of all those nutrients we need to thrive. A couple people mentioned a couple of nutrients that it seems are necessary to supplement because of either our environment has changed (Magnesium) or because of a modern lifestyle (Vitamin D). You can be sure that there are many others. Some part of all of this and other diets is a quest for "ultimate" (probably unattainable) health. I do not eat liver. I know I should. I'm hopefully not going to die or get sick if I don't eat liver. But maybe I need to look at what I am missing in nutrients and either substitute or maybe supplement, so I can be at my best.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    I wrote a post on multivitamins not too long ago. Yeah, I don't believe vitamins are ideal, especially from synthetic sources, which most commercial vitamins and supplements are. There is a wide variety of foods out there that in combination can provide a powerful source of micronutrients. All of these foods are of course, either not directly primal/paleo or are not encouraged to be eaten in large quantities (i.e. fruit.) In these cases, I think individual supplementation is a good fallback if they are of decent quality and taken in appropriate ratios with complementary nutrients (i.e. A/D, D/K2, calcium/phosphorus, sodium/magnesium, calcium/megnesium, etc.)
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

brookcorbyn is offline Junior Member
    Thank you black timber.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Caloric load that would not result in weight gain does not provide adequate nutrition for me, despite good food choices. I don't take vitamins, I get foot cramps. Tested a number of times (vit B and Magnesium).
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

peril is offline Senior Member
    AFAIK it is not too difficult to craft a diet that will give sufficient nutrients without excess calories. It takes offal and seafood to do it, along with other more common food. Magnesium is possibly the only hard one.

The thing is that many choose not to eat those foods but to supplement, often in an ad hoc way. Their choice, not mine

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    About 99% of vitamins and supplements on the market are made in a lab. They are all synthetic vitamins that our body cannot absorb. The early man had no problem with getting all the nutrients needed to sustain a healthy lifestyle.
    However, you are assuming that we, modern humans, are coming to this diet as 100% healthy and functional. Sometimes, for whatever reason, our bodies can't or don't absorb nutrients from food if some aspect of our GI system isn't working quite right (assuming those nutrients are in the food to begin with, as others have mentioned).

For example, I have been a heavy meat eater my whole life and found out a few months ago that I have severe iron-deficiency anemia. A lifetime of eating red meat and green veggies and cooking with cast iron did not build my iron stores, yet for some reason my stored iron levels are significantly improving with iron supplementation in the form of pills.

Aside from the fact that our modern food and water is very different from early humans', our modern bodies are different, as well. Some respond very well to an ancestral diet with no added vitamins or supplements, while other bodies need something additional.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Aside from the fact that our modern food and water is very different from early humans', our modern bodies are different, as well. Some respond very well to an ancestral diet with no added vitamins or supplements, while other bodies need something additional.
    Not to mention we don't really know what an "ancestral diet" really is, and how it varied from region to region. We only know what they did not eat: soybean oil, cream puffs, wheat, etc. and we try to avoid that stuff.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast