Thread: Dairy-free, low carb meal ideas? page

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member

Dairy-free, low carb meal ideas?

Primal Fuel
    I'm fairly new to the primal thing, but I've been reading MDA for months and have educated myself about the ins and outs of a successful primal lifestyle. I am super motivated and excited to get healthy!

I was a vegetarian for two years, but I understand that to be paleo/primal that wouldn't really work. I had my first piece of meat last week (wild salmon) and I bought organic turkey breast yesterday. I am very allergic to dairy, so unfortunately I can't even do high-quality dairy or grassfed butter. I eat 1-2 organic eggs a day. I get most of my healthy fats through coconut oil, avocados, nuts/nut butters, chia seeds, etc.

My diet is fairly healthy, but from what I've been told on here and from my own judgment I really think I get way too many carbs and not enough variety. Some of my carb staples are sprouted grain Ezekiel bread, jasmine rice, sweet potatoes, bananas, Larabars, chickpeas, lentils, etc. I just can't seem to figure out what to eat without them!

For someone new to this (and on a budget), what dairy-free, low carb, and high protein + fat meals could you guys recommend? Recipes would be great, as would just breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack options. Thank you so much!
    Last edited by jenniferbarclay; 10-27-2013 at 04:45 PM.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Dairy-free, low carb meal ideas?

No reason to not eat more than 1-2 eggs. I have eaten 12 in a day before.

Avocados, potatoes/sweet potatoes instead of the bread/grains, more coconut in general... Maybe add in red meat & offal if you're open minded.

Low carb budget friendly day:
    -huge frittata with 4-6 eggs, veggies, bacon, etc. Topped with guacamole or salsa or avocado if you want.
    -coffee with coconut milk
    -lunch with a salad (salmon/chicken/ground beef as protein)
    -dinner with steamed potato/sweet potato & choice of meat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferbarclay View Post
    For someone new to this (and on a budget), what dairy-free, low carb, and high protein + fat meals could you guys recommend? Recipes would be great, as would just breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack options. Thank you so much!
    Beef brisket. Simmer in water or bake, covered with foil until a carving fork pierces it easily.

MaceyUK is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    make your own mayo with olive oil and egg yolks. You can add this to lots of things like canned tuna, salmon, eggs, steak, fries.
    Two egg yolks
    tsp mustard
    1 tsp salt (1/2 if you don't love sodium chloride like me)
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    4 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 cups mild olive oil
    Beat all of the ingredients except the oil. I use a food processor with whisking attachment.
    Once they are blended and with the whisk still rotating slowly add the oil speeding up as you go. Divide it up into portions and add garlic, chilli, tarragon or whatever to adapt it for different dishes.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk