Thread: Coffee Talk page

Catharsis is offline Senior Member

Coffee Talk

Primal Fuel
    I searched for this and didn't find much. Where are you guys finding your high quality mold-free coffee at? I'm having a pickle of a time finding places I trust.

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I don't doubt that aflatoxins are prevalent in most commercial coffee, but I think the fear of ingesting mold is a little overblown (unless you're allergic or sensitive). If your coffee beans are single origin, wet-processed, grown at high altitudes, and freshly roasted/ground, I wouldn't worry about aflatoxin residues.

I buy single origin beans in bulk and roast them at home in a cheap air popper ($10 - $20). A 5 lb. order of coffee will cost around $30 - $40, so it ends up being around $6 - $7 per pound, which is an awesome price for coffee of that quality.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I don't doubt that aflatoxins are prevalent in most commercial coffee, but I think the fear of ingesting mold is a little overblown (unless you're allergic or sensitive). If your coffee beans are single origin, wet-processed, grown at high altitudes, and freshly roasted/ground, I wouldn't worry about aflatoxin residues.

I buy single origin beans in bulk and roast them at home in a cheap air popper ($10 - $20). A 5 lb. order of coffee will cost around $30 - $40, so it ends up being around $6 - $7 per pound, which is an awesome price for coffee of that quality.
    I'll keep that in mind. Pretty generally wasn't a coffee guy until recently, and I just got a drip maker. Where do you usually get your unroasted beans?

M.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I've been buying Allegro organic expresso beans from Whole Foods.

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    My new favorite is Black Night, they have it direct or through Amazon.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I have some of the single source coffee types from trader Joe's. I wonder if that is good enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    There are many good ones at Whole Foods in the coffee/tea area. They are usually pretty good about getting local roasters' coffee beans, although they tend to be a little more stale than fresh from the roaster.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    I'll keep that in mind. Pretty generally wasn't a coffee guy until recently, and I just got a drip maker. Where do you usually get your unroasted beans?

M.
    I get mine from Sweet Maria's, but there are lots of places you can find online that sell unroasted beans. The website eats.meats.west linked to sells them. Sweet Maria's provides loads of info about each variety and how they are harvested and prepared, which is a plus if you're trying to get the cleanest coffee possible.