Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Joining Planet Fitness ... page 6

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Seriously... I grunt when I do big squats or deadlifts. It's involuntary and probably has something to do with sucking in or forcefully expelling air
    It's leakage from the Valsalva maneuver. When you do a Valsalva properly, you create air pressure against a closed glottis. If a little bit leaks out, you grunt a little bit. It allows you to lift more weight, more safely than not performing Valsalva.

Planet Fitness doesn't care about you getting strong, or about you lifting heavy weights safely. They want their members not to show up, and when they do show up, not to work hard, sweat too much, make noise, use chalk, or otherwise be awesome in any way.

It can be made to work, but I believe almost any person will get stronger when he surrounds himself with strong people. And that's not what PF is about.
    The Champagne of Beards

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    RM, you might enjoy this video they made to advertise the gym I work out at. Note that they do not have cupcake day, nor is there a lunk alarm:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xykor5McCBQ

I might be in it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    About the bolded. I dunno what gyms you have been to, but I fully believe anyone feeling judged is just insecure. I have never, ever seen anybody in the weight rooms be anything less than supportive. Actually its kind of counter to every other aspect of society in that way. My first experience in a gym was at the age of like 10. I got stuck under the freakin bar + like 10 pound. Thats right I was trying to bench 55lbs. I had done "the bar" for a few reps and went for the fives. Big dude pulled it off me with one hand (totally impressive at the time....totally not impressive now ), but he didn't belittle me..... asked if I could use some help. Offered some tips (spotter and less weight...maybe even dumbells being the main things I remember). Point is this concept that people are out to get ya or judging is just freaking paranoid self absorbed delusions IMO.

On the other hand men do compete...its in our nature.... but for me (and most I would thing) we don't look for weaklings....we look for those that might challenge us. We look for people at or a little above our level. If we forget that we where once weaklings.... well there is always someone higher up the chain that can remind us. Not by being a dick, but just by being there. Take that as judgement if you want, but sometimes the truth is cruel. Face it and do something about it, or go to a gym that supports and enables your insecurities and tells you its OK to just be "you". I thought a gym was a bout changing yourself for the better, but hey whatever. Not really directly to you Chokinggame...just some general observations.
    Personally my experience has been positive, I think it usually is when you start young. Most people are especially encouraging with kids, and older, experienced people are usually happy to instruct or help out. Any sort of judgment or discouragement is especially untrue for kids as well, no one expects you to know much or have a foundation, so it's very easy to learn and build habits from the ground up.

I think competition is something different, it's not really what I'm talking about. I say judgmental not in the sense that people will be out to get you or intimidating or anything like that, but I've definitely seen subtle, snide behavior towards people who are considered out of place. Fat people definitely get joked about and laughed at. People who are trying equipment they're unfamiliar with and use it incorrectly get mocked. I can overhear a lot of this shit if I listen.

It's not openly hostile, the person being ridiculed may not even know it, but they'll definitely make fun at someone else's expense. It's usually younger guys, maybe college aged or so. It's usually more in big mega-gym type places. The places I went to when I was younger were more old school, smaller places with more laid back crowd, mostly older bodybuilders/powerlifters. There weren't any Lunk Alarms, for instance.

I don't know, some of it is just the same asshole behavoir that you see anywhere, you can't expect it to disappear in a gym or anywhere else. I just think it's funny when you see stuff about it online especially. There's a lot of internet fueled stupidity (gallon water jugs being bad, for instance). I guarantee those fake article/thread titles in my last post are pretty close to real things you could find online, right next to something about acceptance and community etc. The juxtaposition is funny to me.
    Last edited by TheChokingGame; 11-18-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I guess Planet fitness is trying to scare people out of other gyms by making shit up about what it is like.
    Very astute. Until PF instituted their No Lunking policy, nobody thought about somebody else grunting as being threatening. Gross maybe, but not threatening.

I have to admire their marketing strategy of creating demand for a non-threatening/judgmental environment, and then lumping a number of non-threatening/non-judgmental behaviors that are commonplace at other gyms into that bucket. You won't hear much grunting at a PF because there are no freeweight barbells, and no heavy dumbbells (if i recall they don't go over 50 lbs). Its tough to drop weights on a Smith machine....

Their whole strategy seemingly revolves around underpricing competitors out of business (my gym died in September when a PF opened in town), pushing their "nonthreatening" environment, and pricing their membership so low that you don't feel guilty about not going. Hey, its only $10/month, less than a couple of Starbucks, no big deal, I'll go next month. Oh, and of course making sure their gyms show up on Biggest Loser.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to start my own gym and call it Planet Gentle Snowflake. Not only will I have lunk alarms, I will have effort alarms. Any effort, real or perceived by other members from a member will result in the immediate revocation of membership. Sweat will also be banned and will be considered a proof of effort. Anyone caught getting stronger will be kicked out. Barbells, dumbbells not coated in neon rubber, and any equipment that can cause an adaptive stress will not be found on premises. Curling while staring in the mirror will be permitted, provided the dumbbells meet the criteria above, and the member is using the same weight every workout. Anyone caught lifting anything off the floor will have to pass a mandatory training session with our personal training experts. The personal training experts will all be vegan and will instruct the members on proper walking, eating, and pooping techniques to avoid potential injuries from said dangerous activities.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I'm going to start my own gym and call it Planet Gentle Snowflake. Not only will I have lunk alarms, I will have effort alarms. Any effort, real or perceived by other members from a member will result in the immediate revocation of membership. Sweat will also be banned and will be considered a proof of effort. Anyone caught getting stronger will be kicked out. Barbells, dumbbells not coated in neon rubber, and any equipment that can cause an adaptive stress will not be found on premises. Curling while staring in the mirror will be permitted, provided the dumbbells meet the criteria above, and the member is using the same weight every workout. Anyone caught lifting anything off the floor will have to pass a mandatory training session with our personal training experts. The personal training experts will all be vegan and will instruct the members on proper walking, eating, and pooping techniques to avoid potential injuries from said dangerous activities.
    And make everything purple and sparkly! And a tiara with every membership! Every snowflake must have a tiara!

I do have a question that is probably going to get me mocked but... I am a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to the cooties and sweat of others but I want to start lifting. Has anyone picked up a skin infection from their gyms? The gym I am looking at is a smaller local gym and it seems real clean but I am just a little hesitant. I don't really have the room for a weight lifting set up or I would do that.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    I do have a question that is probably going to get me mocked but... I am a bit of a germaphobe when it comes to the cooties and sweat of others but I want to start lifting. Has anyone picked up a skin infection from their gyms? The gym I am looking at is a smaller local gym and it seems real clean but I am just a little hesitant. I don't really have the room for a weight lifting set up or I would do that.
    Herpes - The unspoken side effect of strength training.

Great. I was thinking more along the lines of a fungus and not a virus but thank you for giving me more to be unreasonably worried about. I guess I can be that weirdo with Handiwipes after each exercise or just keep working on my body weight exercises.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    Great. I was thinking more along the lines of a fungus and not a virus but thank you for giving me more to be unreasonably worried about. I guess I can be that weirdo with Handiwipes after each exercise or just keep working on my body weight exercises.
    oh.my.freaking.god... get out of the house more and live a little.

the gym probably has spray bottles of cleaner and paper towels everywhere. use them if you must. a lot of people do. a lot of people don't. who cares if you spray a bench down before you lay on it?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast