Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy Gelatin? page

steven.kelly is offline Senior Member

Where do you buy Gelatin?

Primal Fuel
    Do supermarkets sell it?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    It's usually in the baking aisle in supermarkets here, but only small boxes. If you use a lot you're probably better buying in bulk. Try Amazon or eBay.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

peril is offline Senior Member
    Or just eating the whole animal.

In the baking aisle
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Yeah that too.
    I made stock from chicken knecks the other night and that made about 2 litres of stock which set like jelly over night in the fridge.

Probably wouldn't use it to make desserts though.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.kelly View Post
    Do supermarkets sell it?
    Yes, I usually get the Knox brand which is sold with the jell-o.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

moluv is offline Senior Member
    I buy Great Lakes brand (from grassfed beef) in a canister at Natural Grocers.

thefragile7393 is offline Junior Member
    Ew stay away from the Knox stuff....go to amazon to get Great Lakes in bulk....grass fed gelatin is better than the processed Knox stuff. There are two kinds....green label better for smoothies but red label can work, just dissolve in hot water first.....good for making your own gummy candy etc. or yes....bone broth from chicken or beef or bison.....Wellness Meats has some pretty good packages.

DennyB is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
    Ew stay away from the Knox stuff....go to amazon to get Great Lakes in bulk....grass fed gelatin is better than the processed Knox stuff. There are two kinds....green label better for smoothies but red label can work, just dissolve in hot water first.....good for making your own gummy candy etc. or yes....bone broth from chicken or beef or bison.....Wellness Meats has some pretty good packages.
    Thanks for the heads up, never really thought about that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
    If your gonna get a highly process protein powder such as gelatin what makes being grass fed any better than not? There is no fat or micronutrients right? So if its strictly protein i.e. several amino acids that you are trying to increase as a portion of your diet, why bother paying more for any particular brand. First I slow cook bone meat with joints and cartilage, then I make bone broth, then if I need it for something I just buy the cheapest gelatin in the baking isle for home use. I guess from a sustainability standpoint you may want to support grass fed even for gelatin, but I don't believe it to make a difference if you are ingesting it for health purposes.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-27-2013 at 10:31 AM.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I buy off of online places. Amazon & vitacost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast