Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coordination and Proprioception: Connecting my brain to my body page

valmason01 is offline Senior Member

Coordination and Proprioception: Connecting my brain to my body

Primal Fuel
    Phigment and I went to the gym today for Strength and Balance class. We were both anticipating a sort of Tai Chi, stretching, etc. type of class. We got a very confusing Zumba with stations.

I am not a coordinated person. I am not sure I can stress how uncoordinated I am. I don't dance unless I am very drunk. I can't throw or catch a ball. I was always last picked at kickball. I am that person. So..this class was not fun for me. It was very frustrating.

All of this leads to my question: At 47 what are the chances of gaining some coordination? I have always wanted to dance, would like to have some brain/body conversation happening. Can this happen if I keep working at it or am I doomed and should find other forms of movement?

Thanks for all helpful comments!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was the girl who was always picked last unless the girl with the back brace was among the choices.

I took a circuit training/core fitness class for a year. I was 46/7. I was so terribly uncoordinated at first that I would literally have to look at the limb I wanted to move and make sure it went where it was supposed to go, and then check in the mirror and look at the instructor and check again. Naturally the instructor would already be on to the next thing and I'd have to start over, but eventually I got somewhere for most things. Getting over the taboo about looking at myself in the mirror was pretty hard, but I did it. I say just keep at it, so long as it's somewhat fun, and you'll get better. It works for other things, too. I've been playing fiddle once a week for 5 years and it's finally starting to sound like music.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Every time I read your posts I am inspired! Thanks for going there first

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Find a local gymnastics place that has an adult gymnastics class.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, gymnastics.... also bare foot balance work with escalating difficulty is good to. For instance on two feet on balance ball.... two feet with eyes closed, then one foot, then one foot eyes closed, two foot eyes closed squates.... ect.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I believe that for those of us our age, PE was a pretty cruel experience for some of us. In elementary school, PE was all about team sports, often fairly violent ones, but almost always team sports that naturally favored boys over girls. When I was in elementary school my mom sewed my clothes. It was really common for moms to sew clothes back then. She favored cute little dresses and patent leather shoes for me. You simply cannot play football in a pinafore and patent leather shoes. Things didn't improve much in Jr. High and High School, although wearing a uniform helped some and having segregated classes for a spell was a relief for me at least.

Back in the 90s I decided to take up hiking because I wanted to go to Nepal with a friend. I started hiking about 4 days a week up steep mountains. It was a great experience for me. I got strong. I could hike 16 miles in a day. I also started riding my bike up the mountains. It was a steep mountain, low gear on my mountain bike all the way, and eventually medium-low gear with the middle front chainring instead of the smaller one. I still remember a day when it suddenly occurred to me that I was actually an athlete. The realization blew me away and I realized all those years of torture just hadn't been fair to the solo endurance athletes among us.

I share this because just because you were one way in school doesn't mean it's an accurate assessment of your athletic ability.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Great post SB! I was one of the uncoordinated, non athletic, never picked for teams kids too. I hated PE! I was so glad when I was in Highschool we had archery as an option. I don't know if they do a better job now of teaching PE, but when I look back I can't help but think they could have taught me something. I just learned (I'm 53) last year how to do a real push up and chin up. When I was in school no one taught you how to do them, you either could do them or you couldn't.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

SB and Urban.. exactly! PE was a nightmare that left some deep scars! Maybe thats why that class effected me so yesterday. thanks for sharing!

Mr A and NH I think you overestimate my current abilities I need to start a little slower than gymnastics

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Try some things at home that will improve your balance. Things like walking lunges, step ups on a crate or chair, donkey kicks, things like that. For me, exercises that worked one side (leg) at a time made a big difference.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post

Mr A and NH I think you overestimate my current abilities I need to start a little slower than gymnastics
    No, a good beginner gymnastics program will give you the best bang for your buck by using progressions to help you learn, while also ensuring proper form so that you advance efficiently while minimizing risk. You can learn coordination and body awareness on your own, but your progress will be much slower.

I recently took a 12 year old girl with MS and zero gymnastics background from not being able to climb her feet up a wall into even a partial handstand to doing freestanding handstands and front flips off a trampoline...in the span of 5 lessons.

Sent via F -22 Raptor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast