Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is diversity in diet? page 2

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As long as you're eating a wide variety of nutritious foods, I don't think it matters if you eat the same things day in and day out. My diet has been largely the exact same for years, and I've felt fine. Just supplement what you think might be missing.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    I go for the maximum the amount of diversity possible; chicken feet, cow stomach, fish eggs, liver, obscure vegetables and roots, etc.

darkangel45422 is offline Junior Member
    I think a huge diversity is probably optimal but so long as you're getting all your basic nutrition, it's probably not necessary for health. Try an online food tracker, or get a blood test to make sure you're not deficient in anything, and otherwise just try to make sure you're eating foods that provide a variety of basic nutrients.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I think dietary diversity is stressful because it forces your body to adapt and change constantly. Some say that stress is good, some say bad. Moving a lot and changing diets are strongly correlated with shorter life spans. I'd think a nutritionally complete palate of the same foods daily would be of great benefit to people who have experience a lot of traumatic change in their lives. Still, occasional variation can be fun and enjoyable, more so for some than others, so it depends a lot on personality, too!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    None of us knows for sure our optimal nutrient consumption. Diversity is the safe bet. Supplementation is a pale alternative

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The way I see it is that it's normal in nature for there to be a tree that is in fruit or laden with nuts at only a certain time of year. So you gather and eat the nuts or fruit until it's gone. Then at another time of year the animals will be fat so you hunt them when they're good and fat and eat hearty until it's gone. Then at another time of year the young green plants are tasty so you eat them while you can. Later they become too woody. Same with the mushrooms. The spring flowers come out and you wait for some of them to go to seed in summer or fall and then gather the seeds. In other words, it's natural to have a lot of one thing for a while. I think my pet parrots like to eat that way naturally, too. That first passionfruit of the season is greeted so eagerly by our cockatoo and for a while she wants to eat nothing but passionfruit. And then eventually she's no longer interested in them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

brookcorbyn is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    I am too lazy to try an figure out if it is even possible to get all of your vitamins and minerals from eating food. My guess is that it is not possible. So if that is the case then how important can it be? That being said I think that some variety is probably a good thing. I too have some vitamins hanging around that I take occasionally.
    "NOW vitamins providing quality nutrition for over 4 million years........"

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    If you're in a good look/feel/perform place then it's no problem. Some H-G groups had monotonous diets.

When it comes to weight control there's some evidence that monotony promotes mindless/hasty eating behavior to achieve the same dopamine hit--a certain amount of novelty encourages us to slow down.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Pets also can live extremely long and healthy lives on very simple diets. No reason why your H. sapiens can't be maintained similarly.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

brookcorbyn is offline Junior Member
    I agree with knifegill. We have 4 super high energy border collie hog hunting dogs and all they get is meat, organ meat, occasional sweet potatoes and occasional eggs. They all have more energy than any other dog out there and have super shiny coats.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast