Thread: Best ways to tone up and become healthier? page

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member

Best ways to tone up and become healthier?

Shop Now
    I am 5'3" and about 98 pounds. According to all those BMI charts and calculators, I'm severely underweight and I should be at least 120 and blah blah blah. If you saw me, however, you would NEVER guess I'm under 100 pounds. In fact, I've had people tell me, "What??? You can't POSSIBLY weigh that little."

I don't know why, but I only tend to lose weight in my stomach/midsection. My arms and legs (the parts people see the most) are big and flabby, while my stomach is completely emaciated. Visually, I don't look healthy.

I don't want to lose weight. That would do nothing for me and would probably make me extremely ill. I want to gain lean muscle and become strong and be able to run for more than 10 minutes without getting tired.

Right now eat around 1600 calories a day (yes, I know I need to be eating more, I'm working on it) and I always make sure to get enough fat/protein. I was a vegetarian for two years and just this past week I started eating wild salmon and organic turkey again. I eat 1-2 eggs a day, lots of coconut oil, nuts/nut butters, avocados, and steamed vegetables. Some other foods I eat a lot are sprouted grain Ezekiel bread, oatmeal, Larabars, chickpeas, jasmine rice, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc. I'm semi-constipated, so as of a few days ago I've been taking Miralax to help things move along. I take minocycline for my acne, and I make sure to take a probiotic as well.

As far as exercise, I really don't get much. I walk maybe 20 minutes a day. No cardio/strength training. I believe this is where my real problem lies. I've focused on my diet so much that I've completely lost sight of the importance of being active.

Because I'm so weak and don't have hardly any muscle, can anyone recommend a workout plan of some sort for a beginner? I need some good cardio and the parts of my body I'm most looking to tone up are my upper arms and thighs. I am dedicated and follow plans very well. I'm ready to make a change!

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    You may want to start lifting some weights. You don't need to do cardio per say - just continue walking and do some HIIT once in a while. Have you got gym membership?

I'm a teenage girl who used to have flabby arms; but ever since I started lifting they're quite nice also, the lifting may increase your appetite? I'm not exactly qualified, but I could link you to the programme I use?

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    have you by chance taken your temperature recently? Do you have a low body temperature, especially when you wake up?

Some progress-oriented weight or bodyweight training sounds like it could be beneficial for you, more so than "cardio."

I would be surprised if you had a gym membership since you said you don't do any weight training or cardio, but please correct me if I'm wrong. If you have access to one and would be interested in joining one, there are lots of different types of routines you can try. Otherwise, you can focus on some basic movements from home to increase muscular strength, muscular endurance, or both. If you P.M. me, I can send you some more specific information and maybe set up a routine you'll enjoy and benefit from
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member
    Sorry for the confusion, I don't have a gym membership and don't have access to one right now A routine I could do at home would be the best!

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Then starting with some bodyweight work could be a good place to start.

Basic compound bodyweight exercises include:

-push-ups
    -pull-ups
    -squats
    -planks or leg raises

These are an excellent place to start. To build strength and muscle, you don't need to be able to do a ton of reps of each exercise. Just focus on performing them with good form and feeling your muscles working when you do them.

If you are truly a beginner, you likely will have to work up to the full exercises. So, for example, you can start doing push-ups by doing them against a wall until you're able to do more and more each time. Make sure you eat and sleep enough to promote muscle growth between workouts, and you should see some progress in strength and tone over time
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU