Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Musings of MountainRose.... page

Primal Musings of MountainRose....

Primal Fuel
    I think journaling is a wonderful thing...so after a few weeks of researching and learning about the 'Primal' way of living and eating and having completely crossed over to the 'Primal' way I'm going to jot down my thoughts and musings. I've immersed myself in three different books, one is of course Mark Sisson's 'Primal Blueprint', second is Dr. Perlmutter's 'Grain Brain'...and third is 'Primal Body, Primal Mind' by Nora Gedgaudas...all of these books have a little different twist on the primal way of eating but are basically the same theory at least from what I can tell..I'm reading all three going back thru over and over the information. I like Mark Sisson's emphasis on fitness...each book has good information to glean from. For the past 7 years or so I've followed a food combining program, actually the old Somersizing plan from Suzanne Somers and I've been successful in losing overall about 40 lbs., having gotten serious and dropping the last 22 or so lbs. a little over a year ago. It is very similar to the primal way but with wheat and grains very included but encouraged eating organically....so in reading about the primal way of eating I was pleasantly surprised to see that I've pretty much been eating a similar way all of these years except for the food combining aspect and the grains. I've also been successful in maintaining my weight where I want it....I decided to go gluten free about a year ago and felt better almost immediately....Having heard about 'primal' from a friend I decided to try it two weeks ago and even though it is similar to how I've been eating there are items that keep popping up such as pre-packaged meats with nitrites that I was occasionally eating and things like pork rinds and such...so I've had to tweak more than I thought I would have to..and that's okay. What it tells me is that I've been pretty sloppy with the organic and healthy aspect of eating and not as strict as I should have been. I've learned in my readings how very bad those things are even occasionally. Living in a small isolated town also makes it difficult to eat organically especially meats...so I'll be making more trips to the city to go to whole foods for organic meats and other items...it will be worth it. I like the food combining aspects of the way I've been eating for so long, proteins and fats together, carbs (like gluten free oatmeal) with fat free (such as fat free milk), fruit alone on an empty stomach, veggies with pro/fats OR carbs (as long as no oils or fats) so I'll stay with food combining as I feel like it causes less belly bloat. But going 'primal' I've decided to give up grains completely and won't do any more fat free items. I've added coconut oil to my daily plan and made some home made ghee also. I won't give up dairy completely as in my favorite cheeses but made some almond milk to substitute for so much heavy cream in my organic decaf coffee I have every morning. I bought a glucometer to check my blood sugars every few days to make sure I'm in the right place with that, so far I've been around 85 to 90....and I got some ketostix to test ketone production and am right where I should be with a +1 so I'm mildly burning some ketones. I'm trying to have about half a cup of organic blueberries every other day or so too to get some fruit in as suggested. What it boils down to for me is that I've been successful in losing and maintaining my weight where I want it....but now it's time to concentrate on my internal health more....I want to live a long time with a clear mind, energy, less osteoarthritis pain and I think going 'primal' will help me to do that. It will be interesting to see if my cholesterol comes down with my next labs because I have very hereditary high cholesterol but choose to not do statins...so hopefully my tests will come out normal. I'm very excited about switching to this 'primal' way of eating.....my enthusiasm is high and I know I will see positive health results in the future. And I look forward to jotting down my 'musings'.....
    Last edited by MountainRose; 10-26-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Stopping my chores just to jot a little....Thinking about how I'm feeling foodwise today...Breakfast was half cup of blueberries sweetened a little with stevia, portion of home made crustless low carb quiche, organic decaf coffee with almond milk and stevia and a tsp. of ghee and a tsp. of coconut oil. Lunch was a bowl of home made cream of asparagus/mushroom/pork roast soup. Asking myself if I'll really want a full meal at dinner and I'm so full now I don't think so...I'll opt for a whey protein shake and a good glass of Cab...Portion control and only really eating when I feel hungry is how I finally carved off the last 20 lbs. to get to my wt. goal a year and a half ago. I always have at least two regular meals with a snack inbetween but will often opt to just have a protein shake if I just don't feel hungry...I try to practice 'intuitive eating' and listen to my body. I've also had two big glasses of water with fresh lemon juice. I think my coffee mixture with the oils really helps me to feel full throughout my day...
    Last edited by MountainRose; 10-26-2013 at 01:27 PM.

I'm going to put down on 'puter' my goal of getting back out on the road (in my case across the road into the alfalfa field and onto the dirt tractor road!) for my walk/jogs that I love so much....I was getting out there at least three times a week until last June when I created a disaster in our house by toodling off to work and leaving the kitchen sink water running...needless to say our house flooded and we had to move out into the camping trailer in the driveway for the whole summer...and the interior of the house was gutted and remodeled....I'm such a routine person it threw me for a loop and I got out of sync and quit my walk/jogs.....so now that we're all moved back in and I've started a new job and have a new routine down my goal has been to get back out there...SO tomorrow I start....My app is loaded with some fresh music and my togs are laid out....it's crisp and cool in the mornings at the tune of about 36 degrees so I'm looking forward to a good jog!

Best laid plans....Storm coming in and wind coming up so will try to get on the treadmill today...just can't stand the wind...Breakfast this morning half a cup of blueberries with stevia, decaf coffee with almond milk and stevia...tsp. of coconut oil. Portion of quiche again to get some veggies in. Today will pretty much be a redo of yesterday with my food plan...I'm lucky I guess that I don't get bored with good food. Dinner last night was whey protein shake with handful of raw almonds. I was down half a lb. this morning...I toggle between a lb. or two and am successful at staying where I want to be for maintenance.

Was surprised to see my wt. down by two lbs. on the scale this morning...really don't want to lose any more wt. so I probably need to eat a little more?...we'll see...I'm not hungry and feel good. Breakfast this morning was half a cup of organic blueberries, decaf organic coffee with almond milk and stevia and a tsp. of coconut oil in it. Two soft boiled eggs with a tsp. of ghee. Lunch wasn't until about 2 when I take my lunch on the later shift at work and I had a portion of my home made low carb quiche which was easy to grab this morning out of the freezer. Late afternoon while still at work I had about a half cup of raw almonds and a whey protein shake. Having a spritzer water with fresh lemon juice and stevia after getting home tonight, tastes just like a citrus diet soda....now I want a soda stream machine. Can't eat after work cuz it's just too late at night so had a snack of a piece of muenster cheese and my soda...

Down a little more on my wt. this morning...really don't want to keep losing so I need to eat a little more food. My work schedule makes it a little hard so I'm basically eating my lunch between 2 and 3 which is really my dinner because when I get home 8 p.m. is just too late to be eating...resisted the urge to munch last night and had a seltzer water, lemon juice, stevia 'diet' soda and half a glass of Cab. Breakfast yesterday was organic blueberries on an empty stomach first thing...still doing food combining because I've been doing it for years and it works for me....after my fruit I waited 30 minutes, then organic decaf coffee with stevia and home made almond milk, and a tsp. of coconut oil, 2 small soft boiled eggs with a tsp. of ghee, Himalayan salt and pepper. Later morning snack at work will be a generous slice of meunster cheese...lunch (or dinner) this afternoon will be a romaine, spinach, chopped ham, cheese, tomato salad with home made blu cheese dressing. Snack around 6 p.m. will be a handful of raw almonds and a whey protein shake (which I mix with almond milk and stevia and a little leftover organic decaf). When I get home I'll have a seltzer, lemon juice soda and a glass of Cab. I drink lots of water throughout the day too....So glad today is my Friday and I'll be back to a normal meal plan for the rest of the week, but for these three days I'm at the clinic my food schedule is bumped up on the 'late' shift. Also burning lots of calories being on my feet all day which is a good thing cuz I haven't managed to get back out on the road for a jog/walk like I had planned to...hopefully this weekend I can get out there. I'm in a faint stage of ketosis which is what my 'primal' books advocate so I'm burning some ketones for fuel and my blood sugars (which I check a few times a week) are perfect at around 75 to 85.....So in week three of going 'primal' I'm doing pretty good other than needing to eat a little more but I'll probably gain back a couple of lbs. on my days off like I usually do. Have all of the organic ingredients to make up a good low carb quiche this weekend, using nitrite free bacon for the meat this time, eggs, cream, cheese, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, onion, spinach...excited to fill the freezer back up with ready to heat handy portions! Our storm has finally moved on and the skies are blue and clear this morning! A little icey out but we needed the rain in the last few days and it smells so good outside!

Ahhhh....my work week is done...and I gained back a couple of lb. this morning when I weighed which is a good thing...I increased my food intake yesterday and did some munchies when I got home from work last night with a piece of meunster cheese and a couple of handfuls of raw almonds and pine nuts, and a seltzer lemon juice 'diet' soda. I had a bigger than usual ham and cheese, romaine salad for lunch yesterday too. My 'safe' zone is between 120 and 125...have been at 121 all week, this morning 123 which is right where I want to be. Maintaining is very difficult and I'm vigilant every day because I won't ever let 'the creep' get me again. I've lost large amounts of weight twice in my life, once many years ago 80 lbs. and then again about ten years later about 50 lbs. as 'the creep' got me again...and then the 10, 15, and a couple of times 20 0r 30 lbs. which 'crept' it's way back. Last time was two years ago when I lost the pesky 20 or so lbs. that had 'crept' back. I'm through having to lose weight....so that's why I'm almost obsessive about what food I put in my mouth...'food is medicine'...a mantra of mine. I'm back in a big work place where there is always sugary high carb food, donuts, cookies, bagels, etc....potlucks...and so on...I think people at work probably think I'm weird...but many of them could stand to lose a few lbs...I figure I'm only responsible for myself and how I feel and I work too hard to be healthy and maintain my wt. to be concerned about how anyone else perceives me. These thoughts are probably flowing because yesterday at work the Halloween 'goodies' or what I would call 'poisons' were abundant and being scarfed down by one and all...except me...and I felt a little observed and villified..and of course there were the inevitable comments about why do I worry...and what? you don't need to be worrying about your weight, look at you!...and even from my well meaning work partner who commented that I'm looking 'too thin'...whatever...I'm determined to never go back to being the one who is shoving the garbage in my mouth and then complaining that 'I need to lose weight'.....to each their own. So over the last two years I got serious about getting to my goal weight and I've managed to stay there with the last year especially really down to where I had wanted to be for a long time...I post on another low carb site where it's hard to connect with other 'maintainers'...mostly because there aren't very many. And people who aren't in maintenance really don't want to connect with someone who is at their goal...You would think they would want to glean all of the knowledge and good info and tips that a person in maintenance can give..but that's not the case. There are several people who I connected with who have been on the site for years and are still at their beginning weight...it has turned into just a social site for them and a coffee klatch group and they've lost sight of why they went to the site in the first place. I gave gave gave the advice and tips and recipes, and don't any more because it's wasted energy if it isn't utilized and no effort is made. They just haven't made the connection. I'm not ranting...just voicing my opinion...I'm a nurse in a walk in clinic and the majority of patients I screen, mostly the women but men too, are well over 200 lbs...and they come in with a litany of problems and ailments many of which could be fixed if they lost weight and ate a healthy diet. The women always lament when I weigh them...and in some situations they are with their husbands who make almost mean remarks to them, teasing in a way, but there is always an underlying disgust in their voices and I don't think the wives even hear it. I don't care how much couples love each other, I think there are very few who really like to be with a partner who is obese unless they are too. In a previous life I was married to a very overweight, slobby man, and it was always embarrassing to me because during that time I had also gotten heavy but I got in and lost it all, then I became very active with running and he didn't bother. He now has diabetes and can barely walk. If some effort is made it just isn't that difficult to change the patterns and get healthier..if a person really wants to. I've discovered this last couple of years since I decided to get my extra poundage off once and for all I've really changed my patterns and I don't find it difficult any more to maintain this wt. It has probably been easier for me since I've been eating a certain moderately low carb food combining plan for about 6 years...and now I've just been tweaking that and going more and more organic and now with the 'primal' way I'm just ferretting out the chemicals and processed stuff and giving up grains. Up until the last year or so I would have the occasional 'cheat' like pizza or ice cream once in a while but I don't do that any more and once I got serious about getting to my goal I accomplished it. I look at going 'primal' as a challenge to reduce any insulin spiking which consequently produces carb cravings...I'm loving the fact that this last three weeks I've noticed absolutely no thoughts or occasional carb cravings since I've eliminated all grains. I feel like I'm on the way to better 'gut' health too. So....On to my day...the sun will be up soon, it's a crisp 31 degrees outside...my sage incense and candles are burning, just a few errands to do today but staying close to home...I might start my ingredients this afternoon for my yummy organic low carb quiche I'm going to bake...I'll make two big glass pans to cut up into portions and freeze...I think I'll do another cabbage/bacon/onion/bell pepper dish this weekend too...one of my faves...Life is good...
    Last edited by MountainRose; 10-31-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Sunday morning.....I was thinking about making today a fast day since Sisson recommends a 'fast' day maybe once a month and Sunday is a good day since I'm home but with my work schedule three days a week like it is where I don't eat much and am on a late schedule and where I usually lose a couple of lb. because of all of the exercise I get I'm opting to just modify a fast and do a 'lite' eating day today....Yesterday I made my fried cabbage/bacon/bell pepper/onion dish and it smelled so good I ended up having three bowls for dinner! Wayyy too much...good thing I used uncured no nitrite bacon or I would have been puffed up like a puffer fish this morning. Breakfast yesterday was decaf coffee with stevia, almond milk, and a tsp. of coconut oil. Mid morning snack was a handful of raw shelled pumpkin seeds. Lunch was a small romaine/spinach/onion/cheese/shrimp salad with home made ranch dressing. Then came the fried cabbage dish...Thru the day I had two 'diet' sodas made with seltzer water, fresh lemon juice, and stevia...so refreshing and I'm going to town today to get a sodastream machine...told the Hub I wanted one for a Holiday gift but I think I want one now! Have to treat myself sometimes! I had given up diet sodas when I started 'primal'...I didn't really indulge often but was fooling myself that it was okay to have a splenda sweetened soda sometimes...now I'm getting almost obsessive about excluding bad stuff from my diet and am wondering why I didn't make my own sodas until now! I've been buying seltzer water to make them and now I can't wait to have a carbonator to make them totally from scratch, and experiment with different recipes. Went grocery shopping and was pleased to find some organic meat choices at our local safeway...talked to the head butcher and he told me about the fresh seafood choices that are 'wild' at least so I got some shrimp and two little lobsters that were really a treat...baked them Friday night for dinner with some garlic lemon flavored ghee and it was really yummy. And they were on sale. Really trying the best I can here to go as organic as possible with everything now and am actually having pretty good luck finding things...figure the budget can stand it because I've given up some nasty things I was eating before like processed pork rinds and such...For a nutty snack macadamia nuts are recommended in Primal Blueprint but I just refuse to spend that kind of money on nuts..crazee expensive. Maybe down the road I'll get some if they are cheaper at whole foods when I can get there. I'm using raw almonds to make almond milk but for me they are difficult to digest if I eat them whole....so I'm pleased that I found some affordable raw shelled pumpkin seeds at our local health food store, yummy and portable and I'll use them for a crunchy snack.
    So...so far today my breakfast was about 3/4 cup of blueberries/cranberries with a little stevia...decaf organic coffee with heavy cream, stevia, a tsp. of coconut oil and my tinctures I take for soothing bowel properties and ashwaghanda which I use for an adaptogen. I've already had a big glass of seltzer water with fresh lemon juice and stevia and my supplements. Watching the NYC marathon and it is really getting me in the mood to sign up for at least two fun runs in 2014...it's been two years since I've done one...after having cervical neck fusion almost two years ago I said I wouldn't do another fun run but I think I need to get back out there and get on the road...I fell out of even getting across our road and out into the alfalfa field tractor road for my easy little walk/jogs so goal is this afternoon to do an easy 30 walk/jog which is all I ever do when I go out...I go slow and have never been a fast runner and I like it that way...it's mostly for a little cardio and for the mental relaxation aspects of it. It was a sunny crispy morning at 28 degrees and so far no wind so this afternoon will be perfect to get out for some exercise... Wt. up a little from earlier in the week at 124, still happily in my 'safe' zone and again I know I'll lose a couple of lbs. this week from work and all of the walking I do in my clinic...I take my pedometer and usually get at least 6,000 steps...that's a good thing...I'll do a whey protein shake this afternoon and more water and and maybe a lite dinner of a small green salad...

Wt. this morning back down to 122.4...my usual loss during the three days on my feet all day at the clinic...I've settled into a good routine of toggling back and forth between 122 and 124..usually gain back a lb. or so on my days off when my food plan timing is more back to normal and not doing the 'late shift' thing...Really feel like I've settled into a good routine with my new 'primal' way of eating...Friday will be the end of week #4 with my new food plan and I'm still reading 'Primal Blueprint' and going over and over it...still learning new stuff...my blood sugars are staying stable at between 75 and 85 and still in a 'faint' ketosis with the ketostix. I feel really clean and have plenty of energy too...I feel like I've found the exact way I want to eat for the rest of my life...am still doing my Somersizing food combining and that works so well for me...protein/fats together, fruit on an empty stomach and waiting at least 30 minutes until I have anything else...lots of veggies...it's easier to not have to worry about carbs like oatmeal any more so except for the fruit I'm just doing proteins/fats, and veggies, nuts and seeds...trying to be completely organic as I can be, definitely nothing processed any more...off to work for my Friday at the clinic, my first exercise in four months that I got in on the treadmill last Sunday felt so good, wasn't even sore the next couple of days so plan is to get outside tomorrow for a 30 minute jog...if the weather holds up...dark and cloudy today...if not then the treadmill it will be!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Off work for five days...today is a recovery day...three very busy days at the clinic and lots of walking...over 6,000 steps according to my pedometer every day. Wt. is at an even 122 lbs. this morning, lost the usual two lbs. I lose every week while working my three days...then I regain it on my days off...so I toggle happily between 122 or so to 124 or so, never letting 'the creep' ooze it's way back and never going over 124 and my top of my 'safe' zone of 125...so this is maintenance which I've been doing for almost a year now. Tomorrow will be the end of week #4 with my new 'primal' way of eating and I have to say I feel like it's going very well...I feel good with plenty of energy and staying in a very faint ketosis and blood sugars are staying stable at between 75 and 85...my face looks a little thinner so I think I'm burning off some remaining fatty areas like under my chin...I'm sure to get in my fruit quota in the form of blueberries/cranberries every morning so I have some carbs and don't go too low carb now that I'm not eating any grains....and it seems to be working very well. I'm getting plenty of oils, taking a pure quality of fish oil and DHA now. I was tempted at the health food store the other day to indulge in a bar of good dark chocolate but kind of afraid to even go there even though Sisson talks about allowing it in 'Primal Blueprint'.....I'm such a sugar/carb addict in my life and have been so diligent about not eating any sugar I don't want a chocolate bar to set me off...but I feel very in control these days so we'll see...they have some very high quality dark chocolate and it would be a nice treat...Breakfast this morning: 3/4 cup of blueberries/cranberries first thing on an empty stomach, waited 30 minutes, then organic decaf coffee with almond milk, a tsp. of coconut oil and stevia, and a portion of my home made nitrite free bacon/veggie quiche that is always so good. Mid morning snack will be a handful of raw shelled pumpkin seeds and then a shrimp/romaine salad for lunch with home made ranch dressing. Don't know what dinner will be yet but it will be lite...maybe just a whey protein shake if I'm not hungry. Goal for grocery shopping this weekend is to continue to find organic food items in this little town which isn't easy...looking forward to a trip to the city soon to visit Whole Foods...in the meantime I've been pretty successful in finding some organic items at Safeway and even the Grocery Outlet store. It's a challenge and a little spendy but it is evening out with getting rid of some processed items that were so bad for me. It's a pretty day with some overcast and warmer...recovery day from my very busy three days at the clinic so just some light stretching and will try to get out for a jog tomorrow... Making a list for shopping and plan to make a nice buck stew this weekend...the Hub got a nice buck last month so thawing out a couple of venison roasts and will add onions, celery, brussel sprouts, tomatoes from this summer's garden, and mushrooms...
    Last edited by MountainRose; 11-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast