Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Deadlifting too much? page

Lockstock is offline Senior Member

Am I Deadlifting too much?

Hey dudes

So I'm dead lifting 102.5 kgs today, not much, I know but hey.

The problem is, I'm trying to do 1 set of 5 but for the life of me my work sets can never be a consecutive 5 reps. I have to do 1, MAYBE 2 reps before I have to stop, take a 5-10 second break, then bang out another. Until I hit 5.
    Does this mean I'm using too much weight?

Also, afterwards, is my back supposed to feel, well, stiff or even slightly sore? I try not to bend, and I've got some form videos on my phone that show my back in good position however I still sometimes get this weird stiffness, even soreness, accompanying an epic back pump. This feeling goes away if I hang off a pull-up bar for traction.

One more question, when in the starting position, should I actively try and keep my shoulders down and back?

Emtropy is offline Senior Member
    I personally start with my shoulders medium and slack; using my arms/elbows as a lever, but then drawing back squeezing the shoulderblades as I finish.

Edit: now that I think about it 5 seconds isn't too long...nevermind. your form may just need tweaking.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Last edited by Emtropy; 10-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    I'm not an emo, I swear

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    When you say traction fixes it, it makes me think you might have a disk issue in your back.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    From your description it sounds like you might not have perfect form. It's normal to get a pump in your back muscles, but it shouldn't feel sore. If you post your videos, we can try to help spot anything wrong.

Eric Cressey also has some great instructions on the deadlift. He posted one recently about not extending your lower back too much (most people flex too much but some have the opposite problem). Similarly you can pull your shoulders too far back. I think a more accurate cue is to externally rotate your humerus in your shoulder while keeping the shoulder in a more or less neutral position:
    Rotate it down. | Katy Says

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As to the 5 to 10 second rest I don't see a problem. I usually take 1-2 breaths between each rep to reset my valsalva. So if your more in the 5 second range your fine....Personally I could not ek out any more rep with a 10 vs a 5 second break.... If I'm gonna fail with only 5 I'm gonna fail even if I take 10 so I don't think it matters one bit.

For the shoulders I pull em back and draw my shoulderblades down toward my arse as cues. And yes like yodi said about that slight rotation at the humerus/shoulder.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-26-2013 at 10:38 AM.

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a form or grip issue. What grip are you using for your deadlift?

If you fix your form and you still can't, because of grip strength or otherwise, you're probably using too much weight. Be careful not to overdo it, as risking lifelong injuries are not worth it.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Sometimes I need a couple seconds just to breathe. Sometimes for squats, too. And for deadlifts, sometimes I stop and do the set-up all over again. I've heard that this still counts toward the 5 reps. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Like others have mentioned (and theres another thread started yesterday about pain) if it hurts stop and address the issue. Sounds like a form problem - I had a similar problem, got really bad tailbone pain from deads. Deloaded and addressed form - no pain now.

Regarding your question about rep pauses -- I refuse to do touch-and-go deadlifts. With my history of back pain taking one to two breaths between reps to regroup and reset to ensure proper form is more valuable. I see some very sloppy work from people doing speed deadlifts - but if it works for them, to each his own. I just can't chance a sloppy pull.
    Additionally, in a powerlifting competition - you only get one - so stopping to reset and really drive home the muscle memory of proper form makes more sense for my training.

Post your video(s) so some members on here can give you some notes. The deadlift is a very technical lift and theres a lot more to it than just keeping your back straight.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Leather Couch View Post
    Post your video(s) so some members on here can give you some notes. The deadlift is a very technical lift and theres a lot more to it than just keeping your back straight.
    well said...........2 years working away on deadlifting and still not happy with form.........not sure if I ever will be.......but its WAY better than when first starting out...lots of reading, video watching and....well....deadlifting of course to get it right.......lighten up the load a little (not too much) for some practice sets........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast