Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Being cold page 3

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member
    If I don't have time for normal low level exercise (long walk), would a 5-10 minute cold shower be a viable substitute?

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post
    If I don't have time for normal low level exercise (long walk), would a 5-10 minute cold shower be a viable substitute?
    As far as I'm aware its still beneficial, but its not quite the same.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Well f me, I am jealous of you all who are able to withstand the frigid temperatures that encompass everything lower than 70 degrees. On top of that, my shins start hurting when exposed too long to the cold (old shin splints injury from overrunning). Is there a nonpainful way of getting used to the cold without getting sick?

PaleoPenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Well f me, I am jealous of you all who are able to withstand the frigid temperatures that encompass everything lower than 70 degrees. On top of that, my shins start hurting when exposed too long to the cold (old shin splints injury from overrunning). Is there a nonpainful way of getting used to the cold without getting sick?
    I take boiling hot showers in the Summer and Tepid showers in the Winter. Plus, as was already pointed out, a little bit of exercise keeps you warm for a long time.

I've tried to explain to some people that fat gets "cold soaked" and is harder to warmup compared to muscle. I don't know if that's right but that's the way I see it!
    50 year old Male
    Current Weight: 195

I've done two absolutely freezing cold showers so far. I HATE the action of it. However, once out of the shower, the physical warmth I feel and energy I experience is outstanding.

I would rather walk outside in the cold then take the cold shower.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread50560.html huge thread on it. No worthwhile results ever reported in the thread, either no one has kept with it for an extended period or just nothing worth reporting.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Folks, really, do you see extreme leanness in colder climes? It's Asia that's connected with prevalent leanness, not polar regions.

The Fattest Nations

1. United States

2. Kuwait

3. Croatia

4. Qatar

5. Egypt

The Thinnest Nations

1. North Korea

2. Cambodia

3. Burundi

4. Nepal

5. Democratic Republic of Congo
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Folks, really, do you see extreme leanness in colder climes?
    Who's talking about leanness, here?

I decided to develop cold tolerance just for the hell of it, to see how well I can adapt myself to colder temperatures. Like walking barefoot (okay, or wearing VFFs), or choosing to walk at all, or fasting, it's a way to push my body--and my mind-- in directions that are all too easy to avoid.

As humans, I think seeking comfort and convenience is perfectly natural. But warmth, transportation, and food are generally pretty easy to come by in my culture, which for the last century has been increasingly built around comfort and convenience. Most people don't even think about it; I know I take it for granted far too often.

Fasting pushed me out of my comfort zone, and showed me that yes, I could actually go days without food and it was okay. It made me see my body and appetites in a different light. Walking (and occasionally running) barefoot had a similar effect. And now I'm doing the same thing with exposure to cold weather. I stood at the bus stop in a t-shirt the other morning, when it was 36F, and while I was aware of the cold I didn't feel cold. My fellow passengers, in their puffy coats, gloves, and wooly hats, looked at me like I was nuts, which amused the hell out of me because they all looked cold and miserable!

Am I odd for wanting to see just how low the temperature for "t-shirt weather" could be? Is being willing to tweak my ideas of "cold" and "necessary clothing" and "comfort" crazy? Yeah, maybe. But I don't give a damn. And I kind of like not having to bring a jacket, in the same way I like only having to cook once a day thanks to IF--it's one less hassle.

It's Asia that's connected with prevalent leanness, not polar regions.
    You do realize that fatness or leanness of a country's population are determined by many different factors, right? And that nobody here is claiming that cold exposure is the most significant?

By the way, it gets pretty friggin' cold in both North Korea and Nepal, and "Asia" is a vast continent that includes many different climate zones, physical environments, economies, levels of access to technology, and cultures (with their own distinct foodways). Posting a list of fattest and leanest nations to this thread was pretty much irrelevant and making a sweeping, useless generalization about Asian countries doesn't help.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPenn View Post
    I've tried to explain to some people that fat gets "cold soaked" and is harder to warmup compared to muscle. I don't know if that's right but that's the way I see it!
    That could definitely explain why I feel colder this year than I did last year! And why last year felt warmer than the year before...stupid muscle deterioration

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agreed. This a choice and I am doing it to push myself.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast