Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetables ... Overrated? page 2

fresa is offline Member
    As others have said, raw veggies can cause digestive issues, particularly if the volume suddenly increases. I'm not an expert by any means, but if it were me I would keep track of my nutrient ratios eating whatever diet made me feel good, and if I was really lacking something go from there to try and fill that gap. Are veggies overrated? Probably. But I do think having at least a few in your diet is important.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Your gut is not happy. Not the fault of the vegies - they're just the source of the trigger. You need to work on the gut dysbiosis
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I believe veg is underrated....

You mean those things that I can eat that fill me up, have few calories in most cases, and are full of vitamins? They are the centerpiece of any successful cut I have ever had. Fruit is fine, but fruit can be very calorie dense, and has to be put on an airplane to get eaten about half the year.

Other than that, they are rubbish
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

MarkChopper is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I believe veg is underrated....

You mean those things that I can eat that fill me up, have few calories in most cases, and are full of vitamins? They are the centerpiece of any successful cut I have ever had. Fruit is fine, but fruit can be very calorie dense, and has to be put on an airplane to get eaten about half the year.

Other than that, they are rubbish
    The idea that vegetables are nutrient dense is rubbish. First off they contain almost no energy and are almost completely fiber, which is the reason why most have issues digesting them in the first place. Secondly they are nutritionally devoid when you factor in the amount you would have to eat and how little gets absorbed because of fiber and types of nutrients/anti-nutrients. Of course i'm talking about plant matter, not roots/tubers or fruits.

Everything veggies offer can be had in much higher amounts and in much more bioavailable forms in animal products, starches and fruits. They are best utilized as a garnish for animal products, eating them for health is just a myth.

As for eating them while cutting, well, if you cannot stay at a consistent lean state then your diet is not optimal in the first place.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat them. I use onions garlic etc for flavor but eat eggs, meats, seafood, potatoes and fruit but no veggies. I feel so much better eating like this. Veggies, especially broccoli and cabbage, made my stomach bloated. I think they are good to eat to survive if you don't have better options. They won't kill you.

After a little over a year of kale shakes and other green smoothies on an almost daily basis, I just recently cut them out altogether. I feel a lot better without them. I had it in my head that it was just the best way to get something nutrient dense in my diet, also having a big batch in the morning (up to 40+ oz sometimes) did help keep me full through the day. I wish I had read more about bio-availability and the anti-nutrient load though. I do think they did some good as well, but there are better ways to get the same nutrients.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    If I'm gonna bet on an evolutionary basis for nutrition, then I'm just going eat what the best evidence suggests our ancestors ate. There's more evidence for the meat part because plant remains don't last, but we still believe our ancestors ate a decent amount of vegetables.

…but veggies are overrated in a way. In the US they have Obama's Food Plate where they are trying to push more vegetables as the answer. They won't ban HFCS, or the denaturing of the food supply, but somehow adding a few vegetables is supposed to cure the problem?

dazygyrl is offline Member
    i have come to the conclusion that my gut doesn't like most veggies either. potatoes are fine and some fruit. from when i first started primal, my gut seems to have healed/is healing, but i'm not entirely sure what i've done to cause it. i eat mostly ground beef/cream cheese/bacon. occasional potatoes/sweet potatoes altho will increase those.

when i think about it take vitamin/mineral supp. (alive! brand that is 28 fruits and veggies?)

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Overrated ? Probably. I am no big fan of them but I don't mind a side vegetable next to my meat and starch. I have harder time with leafy stuff, I cannot shove that down easily on its own.

Allenete is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, great variety of responses! Somewhat confusing :P

I'm doubtful I have leaky gut for a number of reasons - mainly that I've never been on such a conventional SAD diet and the only thing I had to do to go primal was eliminate wheat.

It's also interesting that it's the night shades that I'm OK with! Still, mostly everything has to be really well cooked, but even then there is minor bloating.

On a day of meat, eggs, potato, quinoa, chocolate, even dairy, all is well and flat in the stomach region.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast