Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it hurts stop doing that! page

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member

If it hurts stop doing that!

Primal Fuel
    Sometimes we just don't listen. Our bodies talk to us. I know I ignore mine much of the time. I blame it on the "no pain, no gain" mantra and all those damn comeback kid type movies when the guy with a dislocated shoulder and broken leg still drags his sorry ass back onto the mat down 2 rounds to none and scores the knockout in round three to win it for team USA! If you ever seen "Best of the Best" you know what I'm sayin.

Anyhow onto the silliness. Been doing a bit of higher rep stuff with leg extensions. Still doing compound leg stuff in addition. Had absolutely killer knee pain. Wake you up and not be able to unbend your leg type shit. Kept going though like an idiot. Figured I was just being a pussy. Tough it out. So now I stopped that crap and went back to pure compound lifts and in one week the knee pains are gone completely. Freaking leg extensions. That was it. Anybody else do some stupid exercise just cause it was in the program even though it was doing obvious damage? Just gutting it out?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Maaybe you should have warmed up your knees with some leg curls first? Many people get the same type of problems with their elbows when doing trÝceps extensions, but can avoid it when warming up with curls first! But I agree, if something seriously hurt, then your body try to tell you something...

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Eric Roberts over acting classic! I loved that show.

Yep I know exactly what you're talking about. I was doing weighted dips at a different gym and usual. When I set up for weighted dips I start in the top position, set my shoulders and arms and begin with the eccentric. Well this gym didn't have a step so figured oh to hell with it I'll just jump to the top position I'll be fine! So I strapped 90 pounds on, hopped up, heard a pop and a crunch but continued to do 3 more full sets the same damn way!!! Took me three months of rehab to fix my teres, subscap and serratus so I could do dips and pull ups again. Stupid stupid stupid!

And I tell people all the time, don't do it if it hurts!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm backing off on the bench press to let my joints thicken for a bit. Felt a mild strain and a very weak, dull ache - nothing worth mentioning, except that it's there! Might as well heal BEFORE I destroy. So for now back to bodyweight and maybe curls.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Runner's knee for me. Kept going through the pain and 4 months later I still have a problem. I feel it during squats and deadlifts but it's going to have to just shut up and put up with it. Much better since I stopped doing the 10 mile plus training runs.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

John Abraham is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the nice blog. keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. Sometime we ignore this sort of things and also suffer a lot as well. Thanks you for the tips.

http://plagiarism-checker.me/
    Last edited by John Abraham; 01-22-2014 at 02:14 AM.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Leg extensions are a perfectly good exercise if good form and common sense are observed. Due to the bio-mechanics they can put quite a lot of strain on the knee ( as do squats at a certain point during their execution ) so stick with nice slow reps, long hard squeezes at the peak contraction and a nice slow negative. No crazy explosive stuff !

I've said it before, all exercise at the gym is bad but it has to be done to elicit a positive response. Maintain strict form, study a little bio-mechanics and listen to your body. Aches and pains should then be kept at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Leg extensions are a perfectly good exercise if good form and common sense are observed. Due to the bio-mechanics they can put quite a lot of strain on the knee ( as do squats at a certain point during their execution ) so stick with nice slow reps, long hard squeezes at the peak contraction and a nice slow negative. No crazy explosive stuff !

I've said it before, all exercise at the gym is bad but it has to be done to elicit a positive response. Maintain strict form, study a little bio-mechanics and listen to your body. Aches and pains should then be kept at a minimum.
    Actually this is exactly how I do them oldschool.... I did about 8 weeks of the Mike Metzer split where you do leg extensions as pre-exhaust for leg press. I'm not saying the leg extensions are bad for everyone.... just that with my history apparently they don't work so well for me. Could be that the gym equipment is substandard as well. It's not like I'm using RenEx Equipment when working out at the local YMCA

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Bench press hurts my shoulders. I have considered quitting them and doing other things instead. At the moment I just don't sweat the lack of progress too much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Maaybe you should have warmed up your knees with some leg curls first? Many people get the same type of problems with their elbows when doing trÝceps extensions, but can avoid it when warming up with curls first! But I agree, if something seriously hurt, then your body try to tell you something...
    Interesting concept to warm up the antagonist muscle group first.... don't think I've ever read that before. I will say I've never done leg curls for a warm up, but I do a circuit as warmups of chins, dips and lunges.... then I don't bother with any more warmup sets when I get into the workout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast