Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If it hurts stop doing that! page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Eric Roberts over acting classic! I loved that show.
    Hahaha... classic 80's.

Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-26-2013 at 08:01 AM.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Bench press hurts my shoulders. I have considered quitting them and doing other things instead. At the moment I just don't sweat the lack of progress too much.
    Bench Presses can be problematic for many, I'm not even sure why so many people are so pedantic that everyone should do them. Try doing neutral grip DB presses and see if that's easier on the shoulders.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Interesting concept to warm up the antagonist muscle group first.... don't think I've ever read that before. I will say I've never done leg curls for a warm up, but I do a circuit as warmups of chins, dips and lunges.... then I don't bother with any more warmup sets when I get into the workout.
    Yep, especially in all unilateral extension movements warm up the agonist first, if bench pressing do rowing movement first for warming up the posterior delts and lats, leg curls before leg extension, curls before triceps extensions etc. Many problems due to extension movements are due to hyperextension of a rather "cold" joint that produces inflammation and pain, chronically it produces tennis-elbow or runners-knee (as you probably got from leg extensions) or shoulder problems when benching or overhead pressing etc.

I read in a article that John Meadows also recommend doing leg curls before squats for warm-ups:

T NATION | Leg Curl First, Squat Later

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Bench Presses can be problematic for many, I'm not even sure why so many people are so pedantic that everyone should do them. Try doing neutral grip DB presses and see if that's easier on the shoulders.
    I guess part of me feels sorta badass doing them. I've considered giving up overhead presses, too, since I can't make progress at them, either. I'm getting nice definition (for me anyway) just staying stuck where I am. Come to think of it, I think trying to do pullups is giving me the definition more than the bench and press. I'm seriously considering just doing vanity stuff on the arms and sticking to squats and deadlifts and my pitiful attempted pullups for actual strength.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    I feel much more badass doing one-armed pushups than bench presses And my shoulders thank me sooo much for it.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Leg extensions are good for those who are trying to re-hab knee injuries, using light weights and slow movement.
    Otherwise, they suck.
    Using heavy weight for leg extensions is asking for trouble.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Maaybe you should have warmed up your knees with some leg curls first? Many people get the same type of problems with their elbows when doing trÝceps extensions, but can avoid it when warming up with curls first! But I agree, if something seriously hurt, then your body try to tell you something...
    +1 on this one. Works great to warm up the joints. Or a really good mobility drill but even with that loading the joint is important prep.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12