Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    417

    Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies?

    I've been browsing over at GreenSmoothieGirl.com, and she seems to make a good case for more raw plant life and less meat/fats. I honestly did horrible on a high fat/meat diet, but I can't wrap my head around eating that much plant matter either. So I've been doing a modified PHD for a little while with not much weightloss or miraculous cures...I honestly feel almost as bad as when I did high fat meat lower carb.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,322
    What's "high"? No need to choke down more of anything than you find palatable and digestible. Almost all cuisines use a salad -> meat -> fruit template for meals--there's probably wisdom in doing so.
    37//6'3"/185

    My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    What's "high"? No need to choke down more of anything than you find palatable and digestible.
    This.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,780
    I try not to. I love all the wrong things and can eat them by the pound, carrots, radishes, rutabaga, fruit.... About the only correct vegetable that I can eat a lot of in the raw is cabbage. So, if I want to go low-carbier on my veg, I have to go soupish or stewish. Then I can do the low carb veggies, even celery and green bell peppers that I don't like as nature intended. In the end of the day, in the absence of miracles, I am back to cutting out fruit and contemplating the abandonment of nuts too. Meat, greens and 5HTP.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I love all the wrong things and can eat them by the pound, carrots, radishes, rutabaga, fruit.... About the only correct vegetable that I can eat a lot of in the raw is cabbage.
    Excuse me, but what do you mean by "all the wrong things"? Carrots are "wrong" and cabbage is "correct"? Eating tons of raw cabbage is certainly correct if you want to damage your thyroid, as it's a goitrogen :/
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I've been browsing over at GreenSmoothieGirl.com, and she seems to make a good case for more raw plant life and less meat/fats. I honestly did horrible on a high fat/meat diet, but I can't wrap my head around eating that much plant matter either. So I've been doing a modified PHD for a little while with not much weightloss or miraculous cures...I honestly feel almost as bad as when I did high fat meat lower carb.
    I've had a very similar experience. I started with Atkins and a more ketogenic based diet in the hope of controlling my cravings and finally experience the energy boost every one had been raving about (in reality I was restricting calories, getting into vicious binging cycles, trying to compensate with overexercising and still gaining weight). I felt awful, lifeless and drained.

    I did the classic Atkins induction phase and by the end of my first week my left arm got numb and it wouldn't function (I later realised this was an electrolyte imbalance or depletion despite following all the suggestions, drink more water, add salt to foods etc.). It stressed me out so much and I became a wreck, yet I would not blame the diet. I was clinging onto this hope that Atkins was the absolute miracle and fat IS the preferred source of fuel. Basically low-carb dogma repeated in every forum, every post and EVERY book. My life turned into hell, but the anorexic in me wanted to stay faithful to the program in the hopes of low carb turning into my life miracle.

    After my arm scare, I decided to up the carbs. I switched to Primal/Paleo to get more nutrients in my diet from vegetables, fruits and some starches etc. Still felt awful. Was getting bouts of reactive hypoglycemia. Brain fog. No motivation. Moved to PHD, tried a higher carb version of PHD and nope, my physical health just declined.

    I ditched carb restricting diets altogether. I now eat a very high carb/Ray Peat/Fruitarian inspired diet (low-fat). Trust me I eat more calories in the form of rice, potatoes, fruits and juice than I ever did on Primal and I'm 5 lbs leaner (with consistent, excellent blood test results). I also have high-fat, low carb days to avoid cravings etc and to ensure I get enough nutrients, but my energy is through the roof and I can finally enjoy life again.

    Restricting carbohydrates (especially with individuals who have very efficient glucose metabolisms, i.e. me or any one else struggling with low-carb) is not always optimal, and can downregulate thyroid function, accelerate adrenal fatigue etc. Do not follow the raw Vegan zealots (especially the likes of Freelee or Durianrider on Youtube) who also have the same dogmatic approach.

    Experiment. Primal is not the essence of life.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    I've had a very similar experience. I started with Atkins and a more ketogenic based diet in the hope of controlling my cravings and finally experience the energy boost every one had been raving about (in reality I was restricting calories, getting into vicious binging cycles, trying to compensate with overexercising and still gaining weight). I felt awful, lifeless and drained.

    I did the classic Atkins induction phase and by the end of my first week my left arm got numb and it wouldn't function (I later realised this was an electrolyte imbalance or depletion despite following all the suggestions, drink more water, add salt to foods etc.). It stressed me out so much and I became a wreck, yet I would not blame the diet. I was clinging onto this hope that Atkins was the absolute miracle and fat IS the preferred source of fuel. Basically low-carb dogma repeated in every forum, every post and EVERY book. My life turned into hell, but the anorexic in me wanted to stay faithful to the program in the hopes of low carb turning into my life miracle.

    After my arm scare, I decided to up the carbs. I switched to Primal/Paleo to get more nutrients in my diet from vegetables, fruits and some starches etc. Still felt awful. Was getting bouts of reactive hypoglycemia. Brain fog. No motivation. Moved to PHD, tried a higher carb version of PHD and nope, my physical health just declined.

    I ditched carb restricting diets altogether. I now eat a very high carb/Ray Peat/Fruitarian inspired diet (low-fat). Trust me I eat more calories in the form of rice, potatoes, fruits and juice than I ever did on Primal and I'm 5 lbs leaner (with consistent, excellent blood test results). I also have high-fat, low carb days to avoid cravings etc and to ensure I get enough nutrients, but my energy is through the roof and I can finally enjoy life again.

    Restricting carbohydrates (especially with individuals who have very efficient glucose metabolisms, i.e. me or any one else struggling with low-carb) is not always optimal, and can downregulate thyroid function, accelerate adrenal fatigue etc. Do not follow the raw Vegan zealots (especially the likes of Freelee or Durianrider on Youtube) who also have the same dogmatic approach.

    Experiment. Primal is not the essence of life.
    What Mikee5 said. Different people respond differently as our personal biochemistry, our genetics and our environment are different. I've been a raw vegan and a vegetarian and had a stint with Atkins. I couldn't say I was happy with any of those (nor did I lose weight the way I was "supposed" to). Trying out what ratio and which foods make you feel good and function the best sounds like a really sensible thing to do, since the idea is not to find what works for now or what you can stick with for the next 2-6 months, but a way of eating that makes you healthy from the inside out and that you can be happy with for the rest of your life.

    Unless you're a weigthlifter, in which case your life is going to be a cycle of bulking up and cutting.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    I've had a very similar experience. I started with Atkins and a more ketogenic based diet in the hope of controlling my cravings and finally experience the energy boost every one had been raving about (in reality I was restricting calories, getting into vicious binging cycles, trying to compensate with overexercising and still gaining weight). I felt awful, lifeless and drained.

    I did the classic Atkins induction phase and by the end of my first week my left arm got numb and it wouldn't function (I later realised this was an electrolyte imbalance or depletion despite following all the suggestions, drink more water, add salt to foods etc.). It stressed me out so much and I became a wreck, yet I would not blame the diet. I was clinging onto this hope that Atkins was the absolute miracle and fat IS the preferred source of fuel. Basically low-carb dogma repeated in every forum, every post and EVERY book. My life turned into hell, but the anorexic in me wanted to stay faithful to the program in the hopes of low carb turning into my life miracle.

    After my arm scare, I decided to up the carbs. I switched to Primal/Paleo to get more nutrients in my diet from vegetables, fruits and some starches etc. Still felt awful. Was getting bouts of reactive hypoglycemia. Brain fog. No motivation. Moved to PHD, tried a higher carb version of PHD and nope, my physical health just declined.

    I ditched carb restricting diets altogether. I now eat a very high carb/Ray Peat/Fruitarian inspired diet (low-fat). Trust me I eat more calories in the form of rice, potatoes, fruits and juice than I ever did on Primal and I'm 5 lbs leaner (with consistent, excellent blood test results). I also have high-fat, low carb days to avoid cravings etc and to ensure I get enough nutrients, but my energy is through the roof and I can finally enjoy life again.

    Restricting carbohydrates (especially with individuals who have very efficient glucose metabolisms, i.e. me or any one else struggling with low-carb) is not always optimal, and can downregulate thyroid function, accelerate adrenal fatigue etc. Do not follow the raw Vegan zealots (especially the likes of Freelee or Durianrider on Youtube) who also have the same dogmatic approach.

    Experiment. Primal is not the essence of life.
    Interesting. So far I have a delicate balance when I eat starches of how much is too much before i feel bad. Although I haven't eaten too many white potatoes just sweet potatoes and rice thus far.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,783
    I think I remember reading on Denise Minger's blog that she eats lots of raw fruit and vegetables:
    About | Raw Food SOS

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NYC (and ATX)
    Posts
    2,689
    Raw vegans like to think that all the good enzymes are denatured when you cook veggies. Most of those "enzymes" are likely natural pesticides .. Why would a plant want to help its predator survive? That makes no sense.

    Fruits on the other hand... I doubt there is any sort of magical enzymes but at least they are intended to be eaten by animals so the plant can propagate the seeds and expand to far away places. Same with fruit-like veggies.

    Honestly I wouldn't eat veggies for the nutrition but more for the taste. I eat fruits for the carbs to fuel workouts. Otherwise I try not to overthink it too much (coming from a biochem background... It is too easy to overanalyze food. Just eat it. If it feels good, keep it. If it doesn't, cut if out. )








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

    My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links


    Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

    " The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •