Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies?

I've been browsing over at GreenSmoothieGirl.com, and she seems to make a good case for more raw plant life and less meat/fats. I honestly did horrible on a high fat/meat diet, but I can't wrap my head around eating that much plant matter either. So I've been doing a modified PHD for a little while with not much weightloss or miraculous cures...I honestly feel almost as bad as when I did high fat meat lower carb.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    What's "high"? No need to choke down more of anything than you find palatable and digestible. Almost all cuisines use a salad -> meat -> fruit template for meals--there's probably wisdom in doing so.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I try not to. I love all the wrong things and can eat them by the pound, carrots, radishes, rutabaga, fruit.... About the only correct vegetable that I can eat a lot of in the raw is cabbage. So, if I want to go low-carbier on my veg, I have to go soupish or stewish. Then I can do the low carb veggies, even celery and green bell peppers that I don't like as nature intended. In the end of the day, in the absence of miracles, I am back to cutting out fruit and contemplating the abandonment of nuts too. Meat, greens and 5HTP.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I've been browsing over at GreenSmoothieGirl.com, and she seems to make a good case for more raw plant life and less meat/fats. I honestly did horrible on a high fat/meat diet, but I can't wrap my head around eating that much plant matter either. So I've been doing a modified PHD for a little while with not much weightloss or miraculous cures...I honestly feel almost as bad as when I did high fat meat lower carb.
    I've had a very similar experience. I started with Atkins and a more ketogenic based diet in the hope of controlling my cravings and finally experience the energy boost every one had been raving about (in reality I was restricting calories, getting into vicious binging cycles, trying to compensate with overexercising and still gaining weight). I felt awful, lifeless and drained.

I did the classic Atkins induction phase and by the end of my first week my left arm got numb and it wouldn't function (I later realised this was an electrolyte imbalance or depletion despite following all the suggestions, drink more water, add salt to foods etc.). It stressed me out so much and I became a wreck, yet I would not blame the diet. I was clinging onto this hope that Atkins was the absolute miracle and fat IS the preferred source of fuel. Basically low-carb dogma repeated in every forum, every post and EVERY book. My life turned into hell, but the anorexic in me wanted to stay faithful to the program in the hopes of low carb turning into my life miracle.

After my arm scare, I decided to up the carbs. I switched to Primal/Paleo to get more nutrients in my diet from vegetables, fruits and some starches etc. Still felt awful. Was getting bouts of reactive hypoglycemia. Brain fog. No motivation. Moved to PHD, tried a higher carb version of PHD and nope, my physical health just declined.

I ditched carb restricting diets altogether. I now eat a very high carb/Ray Peat/Fruitarian inspired diet (low-fat). Trust me I eat more calories in the form of rice, potatoes, fruits and juice than I ever did on Primal and I'm 5 lbs leaner (with consistent, excellent blood test results). I also have high-fat, low carb days to avoid cravings etc and to ensure I get enough nutrients, but my energy is through the roof and I can finally enjoy life again.

Restricting carbohydrates (especially with individuals who have very efficient glucose metabolisms, i.e. me or any one else struggling with low-carb) is not always optimal, and can downregulate thyroid function, accelerate adrenal fatigue etc. Do not follow the raw Vegan zealots (especially the likes of Freelee or Durianrider on Youtube) who also have the same dogmatic approach.

Experiment. Primal is not the essence of life.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I think I remember reading on Denise Minger's blog that she eats lots of raw fruit and vegetables:
    About | Raw Food SOS

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I love all the wrong things and can eat them by the pound, carrots, radishes, rutabaga, fruit.... About the only correct vegetable that I can eat a lot of in the raw is cabbage.
    Excuse me, but what do you mean by "all the wrong things"? Carrots are "wrong" and cabbage is "correct"? Eating tons of raw cabbage is certainly correct if you want to damage your thyroid, as it's a goitrogen :/
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    What's "high"? No need to choke down more of anything than you find palatable and digestible.
    This.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Raw vegans like to think that all the good enzymes are denatured when you cook veggies. Most of those "enzymes" are likely natural pesticides .. Why would a plant want to help its predator survive? That makes no sense.

Fruits on the other hand... I doubt there is any sort of magical enzymes but at least they are intended to be eaten by animals so the plant can propagate the seeds and expand to far away places. Same with fruit-like veggies.

Honestly I wouldn't eat veggies for the nutrition but more for the taste. I eat fruits for the carbs to fuel workouts. Otherwise I try not to overthink it too much (coming from a biochem background... It is too easy to overanalyze food. Just eat it. If it feels good, keep it. If it doesn't, cut if out. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    There are no "miraculous" cures when it comes to lifestyle modification. It inherently takes months to YEARS to see the results. It took decades to become dysfunctional after all. Food is only one part of the puzzle. Sleep, movement, exercise, alignment, mental attitude, EMF, light, sun, water..... ect. .... do your best to at least pay some sort of mind to each and every aspect of health as you can.

Mikee5 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    There are no "miraculous" cures when it comes to lifestyle modification. It inherently takes months to YEARS to see the results. It took decades to become dysfunctional after all. Food is only one part of the puzzle. Sleep, movement, exercise, alignment, mental attitude, EMF, light, sun, water..... ect. .... do your best to at least pay some sort of mind to each and every aspect of health as you can.
    What makes you assume the OP was unhealthy or "dysfunctional" prior to Primal or low-carb? Should they waste "months to years" striving for optimal health or should they be open to the idea of experimentation?

It does not sound like Primal will help the OP progress (evidently it has not contributed to a sense of clarity or even good overall mental and physical health), probably just promote a health decline over time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast