Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies? page 4

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies?

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    The enzymes they talk about are present in all raw foods, be it raw milk, eggs or plants (I believe meat too, but I won't say for sure). They are there to break the food down either back into the earth or to digest it in our stomach. We are able to produce those enzymes ourselves and secret them into our stomachs as needed. When we eat food with the enzymes intact we don't need to call our body to do so. This benefits our bodies by allowing the enzymes we have to be used as metabolic enzymes instead of transforming those into digestive enzymes. Now we are not stealing the metabolic enzymes from our bodies and more healing and rebuilding can happen and we are in less of a stealing from Peter to pay Paul situation.
    Maybe for raw milk. Why would a veggie carry the enzyme necessary to help break itself down??

"Here, predator, eat me! I'll make it super easy for you! I don't want to pass on my genes!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Maybe for raw milk. Why would a veggie carry the enzyme necessary to help break itself down??

"Here, predator, eat me! I'll make it super easy for you! I don't want to pass on my genes!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would imagine this is for the purpose of breaking down into compost to fertilize itself for the next year. Seeds (legumes, grains, nuts etc.) have enzyme inhibitors to protect themselves so they can pass on their genes. The fruit and vegetation portion of the plant does not need to preserve itself. Fruits and veggies having enzymes is not a debated topic, it is just fact. The only thing that is debated is if it is helpful to us to keep those enzymes intact with raw foods or if it is perfectly healthy to rely on our bodies to produce the enzymes.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    This is very interesting. Makes me want to give white potatoes a shot instead of sweet potatoes and rice. What do you mean by medieval whites? Scottish? I'm mostly Scottish with a little German thrown in. I'd love some meal idea if you're eating like Northern Europeans. :-) thanks!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    I have ancestors from Orkney, and they lived year round on Oats and Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    The only thing that is debated is if it is helpful to us to keep those enzymes intact with raw foods or if it is perfectly healthy to rely on our bodies to produce the enzymes.
    I think that it's inarguable that cooking vegetables makes them more bioavailable because it breaks down the cell walls for us. The only question is what part of the foods have been denatured by the cooking process as well.

Here's a review of Catching Fire: How Cooking made us human.
    Quote Originally Posted by some snippets
    Studies reveal that raw foodists are under energy deficits that cause half of raw foodist women to suffer amenorrhea.

a wealth of evidence that cooking yields major nutritional benefits

Cooking increases digestibility of starchy plant foods by gelatinization, while it increases the energy we obtain from protein by denaturation.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 10-29-2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

jackparker is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Raw fruits and vegetables are organic and they are rich in minerals and vitamins. in comparison to packed food they try to eat fresh fruits and veggies. You can live a healthy and longer life and can stay fit if you eat fresh food regularly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234