Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies? page 3

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Try a menu that resembles your most recent ancestors. I feel awesome (and look good, IMO) eating like medieval white people and native americans. Doesn't mean you will.
    This is very interesting. Makes me want to give white potatoes a shot instead of sweet potatoes and rice. What do you mean by medieval whites? Scottish? I'm mostly Scottish with a little German thrown in. I'd love some meal idea if you're eating like Northern Europeans. :-) thanks!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Raw veggies taste pretty crap, but fruit? Yes please.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I mainly eat my veges cooked and my fruit raw. Just cos that's how I like them best.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    This is very interesting. Makes me want to give white potatoes a shot instead of sweet potatoes and rice. What do you mean by medieval whites? Scottish? I'm mostly Scottish with a little German thrown in. I'd love some meal idea if you're eating like Northern Europeans. :-) thanks!
    Central European, you mean. Sorry, being from Scandinavia, this is a personal pet peeve.
    But as far as diets go, ours have similarities: tubers, berries, fish, game meat (dark meats in general, so I wouldn't substitute with pork or chicken.... turkey isn't really our area, but might work), dark leafy greens/wild greens, herbs, no hot spices, chest nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, nut oils, cold pressed sunflower/rape-seed oil, cabbages. Dairy and cow's meat are the sort of thing you'll have to experiment with. Northern European inhabitants don't have that long a history with cows as there was a lot of nomadism and Scandinavians generally are poor with (cow's) lactose. However, since we're talking Scotland and Germany, dairy might go down well with you. If not, try sheep/goat's dairy.

Edit: forgot apples, pears and plums.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Try a menu that resembles your most recent ancestors.
    That's always good advice.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrainInABody View Post
    Central European, you mean. Sorry, being from Scandinavia, this is a personal pet peeve.
    But as far as diets go, ours have similarities: tubers, berries, fish, game meat (dark meats in general, so I wouldn't substitute with pork or chicken.... turkey isn't really our area, but might work), dark leafy greens/wild greens, herbs, no hot spices, chest nuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, pine nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, nut oils, cold pressed sunflower/rape-seed oil, cabbages. Dairy and cow's meat are the sort of thing you'll have to experiment with. Northern European inhabitants don't have that long a history with cows as there was a lot of nomadism and Scandinavians generally are poor with (cow's) lactose. However, since we're talking Scotland and Germany, dairy might go down well with you. If not, try sheep/goat's dairy.

Edit: forgot apples, pears and plums.
    Ha! Sorry for the mixup! With the exception of the tubers that's pretty much what I eat already....hmmmm. thank you tho for the list.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Veggies are just another way for me to add some more butter to my diet.

brookcorbyn is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Raw vegans like to think that all the good enzymes are denatured when you cook veggies. Most of those "enzymes" are likely natural pesticides .. Why would a plant want to help its predator survive? That makes no sense. ]
    +1

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Raw vegans like to think that all the good enzymes are denatured when you cook veggies. Most of those "enzymes" are likely natural pesticides .. Why would a plant want to help its predator survive? That makes no sense.

Fruits on the other hand... I doubt there is any sort of magical enzymes but at least they are intended to be eaten by animals so the plant can propagate the seeds and expand to far away places. Same with fruit-like veggies.

The enzymes they talk about are present in all raw foods, be it raw milk, eggs or plants (I believe meat too, but I won't say for sure). They are there to break the food down either back into the earth or to digest it in our stomach. We are able to produce those enzymes ourselves and secret them into our stomachs as needed. When we eat food with the enzymes intact we don't need to call our body to do so. This benefits our bodies by allowing the enzymes we have to be used as metabolic enzymes instead of transforming those into digestive enzymes. Now we are not stealing the metabolic enzymes from our bodies and more healing and rebuilding can happen and we are in less of a stealing from Peter to pay Paul situation.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldensparrow View Post
    I've been browsing over at GreenSmoothieGirl.com, and she seems to make a good case for more raw plant life and less meat/fats. I honestly did horrible on a high fat/meat diet, but I can't wrap my head around eating that much plant matter either. So I've been doing a modified PHD for a little while with not much weightloss or miraculous cures...I honestly feel almost as bad as when I did high fat meat lower carb.
    Humans are omnivores - we have a digestive system of moderate length and a single stomach. Herbivores often have long intestines and multiple stomachs to break down fiber, while carnivores have short intestines because animal foods do not contain difficult fibers to break down. Raw vegetable foods are much more difficult to break down than well-cooked vegetables and raw OR cooked animal products. Given the human digestive system, why do you think raw vegetables - the foods our bodies are least equipped to handle - would be ideal?

The human body also better assimilates nutrients that are already in the "proper form" to be utilized. Animal-based nutrients (fat, complete proteins, Vitamin A (retinol), DHA-omega 3, Vitamin K2 MK-4, etc) are easily assimilated into the human body while vegetable-based nutrients (carbohydrate, incomplete proteins, Vitamin A (beta carotene), ALA-omega 3, Vitamin K2 MK-7, etc) must be converted in much less efficient processes to be assimilated into the human body. Why would you think meat and fat would be bad for you?

To advocate a raw foods, vegetarian-based diet is to advocate for a diet that your body can extract the least nutrients from. It may be great for weight loss - BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PROPERLY DIGEST THE FOOD AND EXTRACT THE LEAST AMOUNT OF CALORIES. That weight loss will be at the expense of your health. This is why you only see fat, weak vegans (who eat refined flours coated in vegetable oils - easily extracted, low-nutrient calories) and frail, sickly, weak vegans (who eat raw fruits and vegetables - low-toxin foods but with difficult to extract nutrients).

The only vegans that look healthy are those that supplement with lots of protein powders, but no matter what their condition is, they will ALWAYS be healthier with animal foods in their diets. At least vegetarians can eat eggs and milk, so it's something.

Eat meat, eggs, milk/cheese, fruit and starch if you want to maximize your body's ability to extract nutrients. Leave the rabbit food for the rabbits. Vegetables look impressive on paper until you actually understand you can't utilize much of what they have to offer.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast