Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikee5 View Post
    What makes you assume the OP was unhealthy or "dysfunctional" prior to Primal or low-carb? Should they waste "months to years" striving for optimal health or should they be open to the idea of experimentation?

It does not sound like Primal will help the OP progress (evidently it has not contributed to a sense of clarity or even good overall mental and physical health), probably just promote a health decline over time.
    So one at a time since you ask...

"What makes you assume the OP was unhealthy or "dysfunctional" prior to Primal or low-carb? "

Cause anyone who is healthy should have the capacity to function well on low carb Primal and/or PHD, and the OP states they can not on either of these. In addition the OP states they are "overweight" which BTW does not equate to unhealthy, but is correlated with certain morbidities.

"Should they waste "months to years" striving for optimal health or should they be open to the idea of experimentation?"

Months is a minimum before re-assessing for progress....years is more in terms of seeing long term result and continued progress.

Actually if this is a struggle where the OP can't seem to reach a satisfactory health status with "primal foods" as their only source of sustenance then it is likely time for some in depth functional medicine type of testing. Basically I would recommend 3-6 months of eating primal with journaling, BF% by calipers, and weight as the very least of measurements.... blood glucose, lipids, CMP, and some others might be nice as well though. If after those 3 to 6 months you're not seeing sufficient result then you need get several special labs run cause you just might be that special snow flake that requires some extra attention. Very small percentage in that special snowflake category though.

"It does not sound like Primal will help the OP progress (evidently it has not contributed to a sense of clarity or even good overall mental and physical health), probably just promote a health decline over time."

You have little to no info about the OP (same as all of us), so you have no basis for this assertion except that they didn't feel well for some period on a HFLC or the more moderate carb via starch PHD diet. There are several avenues they can explore from here that still falls in the Primal paradigm. Basically I think your FOS.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-25-2013 at 06:12 PM.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Anyone eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies?

Honestly... I think OP is looking for a quick fix, not a lifestyle change. I lost 25lbs and went from an American pant size 8-10 to 4(-6) gradually over 4-5 years so it was almost painless. No blazing success story for mda front page but I don't mind slow changes. At first from CW healthy (tons of chicken breast, spinach salads with honey mustard, 1 slice of whole wheat bread with pb as my "treat" at the college cafeteria, tons of cardio) to CW low carb (1/2 cup brown rice + 1 slice bread at most a day) to primal (start of law school) to now adding carbs back in to fuel strength workouts. Today I barely resemble the girl who used to eat half an Oreo ice cream cake in one sitting (well...same big appetite just mostly for BBQ/steak/etc).

OP just needs to be a bit hungry and stick with one diet (maybe track calories) to see success. Also if "primal" for OP is tons of primal baked goods, handfuls of nuts, tons of bulletproof coffee and a breakfast, tons of bacon and cheese I can see how that wouldn't help OP lose weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Try a menu that resembles your most recent ancestors. I feel awesome (and look good, IMO) eating like medieval white people and native americans. Doesn't mean you will.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I've had a very similar experience. I started with Atkins and a more ketogenic based diet in the hope of controlling my cravings and finally experience the energy boost every one had been raving about (in reality I was restricting calories, getting into vicious binging cycles, trying to compensate with overexercising and still gaining weight). I felt awful, lifeless and drained.

I did the classic Atkins induction phase and by the end of my first week my left arm got numb and it wouldn't function (I later realised this was an electrolyte imbalance or depletion despite following all the suggestions, drink more water, add salt to foods etc.). It stressed me out so much and I became a wreck, yet I would not blame the diet. I was clinging onto this hope that Atkins was the absolute miracle and fat IS the preferred source of fuel. Basically low-carb dogma repeated in every forum, every post and EVERY book. My life turned into hell, but the anorexic in me wanted to stay faithful to the program in the hopes of low carb turning into my life miracle.

After my arm scare, I decided to up the carbs. I switched to Primal/Paleo to get more nutrients in my diet from vegetables, fruits and some starches etc. Still felt awful. Was getting bouts of reactive hypoglycemia. Brain fog. No motivation. Moved to PHD, tried a higher carb version of PHD and nope, my physical health just declined.

I ditched carb restricting diets altogether. I now eat a very high carb/Ray Peat/Fruitarian inspired diet (low-fat). Trust me I eat more calories in the form of rice, potatoes, fruits and juice than I ever did on Primal and I'm 5 lbs leaner (with consistent, excellent blood test results). I also have high-fat, low carb days to avoid cravings etc and to ensure I get enough nutrients, but my energy is through the roof and I can finally enjoy life again.

Restricting carbohydrates (especially with individuals who have very efficient glucose metabolisms, i.e. me or any one else struggling with low-carb) is not always optimal, and can downregulate thyroid function, accelerate adrenal fatigue etc. Do not follow the raw Vegan zealots (especially the likes of Freelee or Durianrider on Youtube) who also have the same dogmatic approach.

Experiment. Primal is not the essence of life.
    What Mikee5 said. Different people respond differently as our personal biochemistry, our genetics and our environment are different. I've been a raw vegan and a vegetarian and had a stint with Atkins. I couldn't say I was happy with any of those (nor did I lose weight the way I was "supposed" to). Trying out what ratio and which foods make you feel good and function the best sounds like a really sensible thing to do, since the idea is not to find what works for now or what you can stick with for the next 2-6 months, but a way of eating that makes you healthy from the inside out and that you can be happy with for the rest of your life.

Unless you're a weigthlifter, in which case your life is going to be a cycle of bulking up and cutting.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    BTW to OP yes I have tried veganism with a ton of fruit and vegetables. I lost weight, but much of it was lean mass as all of my lifts started tanking. On the other hand I only gave it three months and ditched it since I felt so bad. In retrospect I probably should have been eating more calories and supplementing gelatin, which I was not. However, I have no reason to go back to such an existence where meat is not the center of the meal. Makes no sense to me now.

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat as many raw veg as I'd like I do think tey are powerfully nutritious. Mainly I eat carrot and celery, plus salads. I eat a lot of wild spring greens when I get the chance.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    6 weeks ago I started eating almost entirely raw and have noticed some really nice improvements. More energy, extremely stable energy, greatly increased mood, clearer thinking and strong cravings for healthy foods.

I had already been eating primal for many years, so this isn't just the switch off unhealthy foods.

I'm not eating vegan though. I drink lots of raw milk, eat raw liver, and sometimes low temp dried beef jerky. Most of the veggies I'm eating are in the form of freshly made green juices and a reasonable sized salad. A good amount of fruit, not many nuts or seeds. Some raw coconut oil too. If I really crave something I will eat cooked food sometimes. It is usually some veggie soup, potato or yam. I'm into listening to my body not giving myself rules anymore. Eating raw is what my body craves right now it is not something I have to tell myself to do.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I do not eat many raw vegetables. I can't understand how people can eat so much raw kale. It's like chewing on cellulose. I've tried making juice. I have a fancy centrifugal juicer. The thing scares the hell out of me because it once flung itself across the kitchen. It's also incredibly time-consuming to clean. I really prefer my vegetables cooked. They don't have to be cooked to death, just made easier to chew and digest. Fruit, of course, is nice raw. I like to put raw fruit in my salad. Salad made of lettuce, not kale, with tomatoes, avocados, peppers, onions, pine nuts and whatever other goodies. Good salad fruits: fresh figs, raisins, grapes, apples, pears (oh wow, with bleu-cheese crumbles).
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    I've had a very similar experience. I started with Atkins and a more ketogenic based diet in the hope of controlling my cravings and finally experience the energy boost every one had been raving about (in reality I was restricting calories, getting into vicious binging cycles, trying to compensate with overexercising and still gaining weight). I felt awful, lifeless and drained.

I did the classic Atkins induction phase and by the end of my first week my left arm got numb and it wouldn't function (I later realised this was an electrolyte imbalance or depletion despite following all the suggestions, drink more water, add salt to foods etc.). It stressed me out so much and I became a wreck, yet I would not blame the diet. I was clinging onto this hope that Atkins was the absolute miracle and fat IS the preferred source of fuel. Basically low-carb dogma repeated in every forum, every post and EVERY book. My life turned into hell, but the anorexic in me wanted to stay faithful to the program in the hopes of low carb turning into my life miracle.

After my arm scare, I decided to up the carbs. I switched to Primal/Paleo to get more nutrients in my diet from vegetables, fruits and some starches etc. Still felt awful. Was getting bouts of reactive hypoglycemia. Brain fog. No motivation. Moved to PHD, tried a higher carb version of PHD and nope, my physical health just declined.

I ditched carb restricting diets altogether. I now eat a very high carb/Ray Peat/Fruitarian inspired diet (low-fat). Trust me I eat more calories in the form of rice, potatoes, fruits and juice than I ever did on Primal and I'm 5 lbs leaner (with consistent, excellent blood test results). I also have high-fat, low carb days to avoid cravings etc and to ensure I get enough nutrients, but my energy is through the roof and I can finally enjoy life again.

Restricting carbohydrates (especially with individuals who have very efficient glucose metabolisms, i.e. me or any one else struggling with low-carb) is not always optimal, and can downregulate thyroid function, accelerate adrenal fatigue etc. Do not follow the raw Vegan zealots (especially the likes of Freelee or Durianrider on Youtube) who also have the same dogmatic approach.

Experiment. Primal is not the essence of life.
    Interesting. So far I have a delicate balance when I eat starches of how much is too much before i feel bad. Although I haven't eaten too many white potatoes just sweet potatoes and rice thus far.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Honestly... I think OP is looking for a quick fix, not a lifestyle change. I lost 25lbs and went from an American pant size 8-10 to 4(-6) gradually over 4-5 years so it was almost painless. No blazing success story for mda front page but I don't mind slow changes. At first from CW healthy (tons of chicken breast, spinach salads with honey mustard, 1 slice of whole wheat bread with pb as my "treat" at the college cafeteria, tons of cardio) to CW low carb (1/2 cup brown rice + 1 slice bread at most a day) to primal (start of law school) to now adding carbs back in to fuel strength workouts. Today I barely resemble the girl who used to eat half an Oreo ice cream cake in one sitting (well...same big appetite just mostly for BBQ/steak/etc).

OP just needs to be a bit hungry and stick with one diet (maybe track calories) to see success. Also if "primal" for OP is tons of primal baked goods, handfuls of nuts, tons of bulletproof coffee and a breakfast, tons of bacon and cheese I can see how that wouldn't help OP lose weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Not looking for a quick fix just a fix that doesn't cause me to lose my cycle or have 38 day cycles. I did primal low carb religiously awhile back and lost it. Then I started eating more PHD and next thing I know 38 days. I'm overweight now do to hormones I had to take because I'm not getting any younger and want another baby. So a quick fix for my cycle...yes. But not my life in general. I can lose weight slowly that's fine.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast