Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I missing something? page 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaTo View Post
    acire i'm sorry for assuming you were male... it seems that you are taking the necessary steps to transition. I too am starting out and am finding it difficult to "figure out" what to eat and how much.
    When you eat nutrient dense food, and get your fats in, the calories definitely go down. I cruise on around 1500 cals a day, I don't measure, but I'd be surprised if it was more than that. I'm 152lbs, 5'7 male and workout in moderation, mostly as practice nowadays (messing with bodyweight stuff)

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    no carbs will only last if you find satiety in fats. I lost my will power when doing it low fat. Primal has been great
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Agreed with the rest about fat/carbs...

I never experienced carb flu (didnt even know I was supposed to until a couple weeks in). I completely embraced fat right from the start. I'm learning that fat is really key to this whole thing. Man were we off with the whole low-fat thing!

acire is offline Junior Member
    Holy crap! Apparently, I'm not missing something! I've lost 9lbs since starting this (Day 1 was on June 3rd)

And I'm not finding that I have to starve myself, and I'm allowing myself the occasional treat (but it's been well planned for and in very moderation..ie: a wine dinner that I had no choice in the menu...first 2 courses were pretty primal until the dessert. Allowed myself a little bit of it, the berries and the small scoop of ice cream and a taste of the pastry)

This is _awesome_

Sarahrob2248 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acire View Post
    Holy crap! Apparently, I'm not missing something! I've lost 9lbs since starting this (Day 1 was on June 3rd)

And I'm not finding that I have to starve myself, and I'm allowing myself the occasional treat (but it's been well planned for and in very moderation..ie: a wine dinner that I had no choice in the menu...first 2 courses were pretty primal until the dessert. Allowed myself a little bit of it, the berries and the small scoop of ice cream and a taste of the pastry)

This is _awesome_
    Welcome to being primal! I used to be a huge carb fiend, but as soon as I went primal, I didn't miss it either. Now I don't ever crave them like I used to. I started PB back in April, and it has only gotten better and better. I feel great, I look better, and I actually think I'm nicer since I don;t have crazy mood swings.

The first few weeks, allowed myself a little carb indulgence like you did with your dessert. It helped me transition. I never made a conscious step to not eat those desserts or force myself to stop, but you will be amazed how your appetite changes after a few months! Now grain products do not taste so good and some berries is all the sugar I can handle - everything else is way too sweet!

Keep up the awesome work and grok on!

acire is offline Junior Member
    Well, I allowed the ones I've had..they were definitely planned for in advance...it was a wine dinner complete with pairings, so there's an experience part there involved with it. Other than that, I've made a conscious effort to turn down all desserts...other than this, and one other, there haven't really been any other carb indulgences. Even with those, I've still kept it under 100g/day as well.

In some ways, I'm kind of there with fruit, ie: I've hated bananas all my life because they are just too sweet. I'm very picky when it comes to fruit (except fruit in wine form!)...though if it's a sour fruit, I might have a weakness

I'm just...shocked. Almost a bit concerned that the weight loss has been this much so quickly though.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    One thing I learned about milk/cheese/dairy.. It is fat by nature, and anything that says "Low-Fat" should be read "Chemical shit storm"
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Primal Dave is offline Member
    I'm no expert (closing in on my first week of being Primal) but one of the parts I love about it is "NOT" counting...anything. I don't count carbs so I know if it's a good week or bad - I just stick to the food list. If it's a primal food, I'll eat it, and if it's not, I won't. I totally get what Mark says about "cows milk is for baby cows" and "fruit was a luxury for Grok, not a staple" but I guess, at least starting, I figure I'm way better off having lots of bananas, apples, and Vit D milk then ice cream, breads, pastas, etc. I know it's probably not "optimal" and my weight hasn't fallen off like a rock just yet, but it's getting me through the loss of pasta and junk food, at lesat for now. I know that was one of the problems I had with other "diets" was the counting...how many ounzes of this, how many of these make up that, etc...was one of the reasons I stopped doing the Crossfit espoused Zone diet. Might be lazy, but one of the whole tenants (I think) of this Primal thing is it's supposed to be simple.

Anyway, good luck on your journey! I'm hopeful that I can see some success with this lifestyle, and convince my exwife to employ it for herself and the kids. But it's hard to share it with others until I can display the benefits myself! :-)
    “Whatever you hold in your mind will tend to occur in your life. If you continue to believe as you have always believed, you will continue to act as you have always acted. If you continue to act as you have always acted, you will continue to get what you have always gotten. If you want different results in your life or your work, all you have to do is change your mind.” Unknown

"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general." - Mark Rippetoe

Russ is offline Senior Member
    I'm still counting (im on day 8) i use fitday.com every day, sometimes just because i dont know exactly how many carbs are in what foods. . i bet i could easily get 150g of carbs a day from veggies+fruit! I figure fitday is my training wheels, once i learn i can take them off and wont have to worry about falling

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I starting with using fitday just so I could get an idea of what was what...but overall I found it very easy to go Primal... a number of my cofriends kept telling me how I would fail because of how much I 'love' pizza and ice cream...but I haven't really craved them since making the switch... ... a friend of mine who has also made the switch (following me after about a month in) has also found it very easy... ...

I didn't suffer from low carb flu or anything and I only had a week or so of cravings, but I'm pretty sure that was stress related...

still..

Keep up the good work! Glad to have you as part of the ever growing Primal community!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12