Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What makes you smile? :-) page 9

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I was talking to one of my Egyptian coworkers last week and he was asking me about this fire school that I'm going to in January. He asked if I was worried about it, I explained that fighting fires was fun for me second only to working a major vehicle accident with several critical trauma patients. He suddenly left....

In a few minutes he returned with another guy and asked me to tell him my top 5 favorite things to do and I listed:

1. Working a critical trauma call
    2. Fighting a major fire
    3. Working a cardiac arrest patient
    4. Working a drug overdose call with a violent patient
    5. And puppies, I really like puppies

I don't think they will ask me any more questions like that and that, makes me smile.....

BTW, I'm a former paramedic and volunteer firefighter. None of the patients above would have been the result of my doings, I was just trying to save their butts.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Texas.grok - hubby's only cousin is a firefighter in CO, and due to his shorter, thinner, but no less strong frame, he gets to wiggle into places and spaces the bigger buys cannot go. He loves his job to death - huge grin. But the traffic accidents are starting to weigh on him - the ones where children die - frown.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    the ones where children die - frown.
    Yep, many good memories working EMS. The bad ones all involve kiddos not making it. I fully understand where he is coming from. Delivering babies is fun however (at least it was for me, I can't speak for the moms). I got to deliver 5 during my time in EMS. All healthy kids.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    So this one had to get passed along......

This morning I saw a patient I will call "Keg Meg", a name she had given to her when she was in high school. When I first saw her almost two years ago, she was 26. She was on 8 medications, had NIDDM, PCOS, borderline hypertension, anxiety, Vit D deficiency (some of the worst I've ever seen), fibromyalgia (she claimed), and was severely depressed. She came to me because she needed a basic eye exam, something I almost never do, but had been strongly referred to me by a co-worker. Seeing as it usually takes an act of God or retinas gushing blood for me to take a new consulting patient (I.E. Not a surgery and see ya later patient), I took her on kind of reluctantly.

We started with the normal battery of tests, and she had some of the worst metabolic disease I had ever seen. I also noticed her thyroid was having some pretty severe numbers as well, so an endocrine exam ended up adding these treatments as well....then she started the dieting/exercise regimen.

I bought a poster, which I had to order from a custom printing shop, of Russell Crow in Gladiator right at the famous scene. I have it hanging up in one of the consult rooms (I.E. desk and chairs) where it says "On my signal.....unleash hell". I spent the time to get it because that is the mentality I want my patients to take on getting out of this nastiness. I do not want reluctant robots. I want berserkers

Today I saw her again, and she gave me a Christmas card. Her weight went from 244 to 132 in 23 months. She is now off all of her medications but her thyroid stuff, most importantly the analgesics and depression meds. She runs races. She has a gainfully employed boyfriend (she had been single, absolutely zero dates, in 8 years prior). She is happy, engaging, a totally different person than the woman I first saw.

When she left she gave me the card. Inside it says, after a few paragraphs stuffed onto one card: "You have given me many more happy Christmases to come. I will always be grateful to you."

THAT makes me smile.

For all of the pointless discussion that can be found on here, the 65 page threads on carbs vs fats, a stranger explaining the Krebs cycle he doesn't understand, or any of the other malarkey that comes with writing about this stuff, it is people like that that give this its true power.....
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Your post, Laz, makes ME smile! Well done, to YOU and to your patient!

*goes off to deadlift still smiling*

amazonmagic is offline Senior Member
    1. Paying for an elderly gentlemens prescription at the pharmacy because he didn't have his debit card.
    2. Making my first primal shephard pie and having it taste absolutely amazing.
    3. Walking into my home having it lit with only christmas lights with a fire going in the fire place.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you, Amazon. I love Christmas lights!

White snow and blue sky makes me smile! Even if it is -10F!

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    This makes me smile.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    So does this.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    Decorating my tree yesterday made me both smile and cry. Over the years, my collection of ornaments have grown and include ones from both my childhood and my husband's. I have the sparkly ones my oldest niece made before she died of lymphoma and the ones my youngest niece made when she was toddler. I have tons of dog ornaments, representing all the dogs I have had as an adult, including the newest ones I bought this year for my new dog Daisy. I have the cheap or free ones I used when money was too tight to buy anything more and those remind me to cherish what I have now. My husband buys me a new one every year. And then there are the ones we try to pick up when we travel.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast