Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: About carbs. page 3

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    You are a massively obese individual who needs to drop hundreds of pounds.

I am a performance athlete who pushes myself to the max. Who is more qualified to determine how many carbs I get and where I get them from?
    Why be a performance athlete? How is that Primal? Why bother? Grok didn't work out, and he didn't run marathons, and he didn't play sports. And why push yourself to the max? *shrug*

My goal is 240. 160 sounds emaciated to me. I need to drop about another 80 pounds, not "hundreds" of pounds. Whether the insult was intentional or not, that was an insult.

Look, my point was mostly to the people who think that being ripped and being a performance athlete is the Only Right Goal To Have. Frankly, I don't think it's the Only Right Goal To Have, and I just want those who think it is to lay off me and the others here who are here for blood sugar control and weight control and who really don't give a damn about being a performance athlete. Frankly, the performance athletes here tend to come across as pretty obnoxious and holier-than-thou, and I'm getting tired of it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    You seem to be extremely stuck in the "if a lot is bad, then a little is also bad" mentality. I
    If you have damaged your pancreas - and if you're overweight/obese, or have high blood pressure, or have insulin resistance, then you have - then that is absolutely the case. At that point you no longer have spare beta cells to burn.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

JimA2985 is offline Member
    I have to say, I think your approach is a bit hardline. Your story of your family's history broke my heart, but I don't think there's a person in the world who's going to go diabetic because they ate too many vegetables.

And you might want to reevaluate your stance on exercise. Maybe it's not absolutely necessary for weightloss - but there's just a myriad of other benefits to it. If we're all trying to emulate "Grok's Lifestyle," I think we need to acknowledge that his life was not a sedentary one.
    Last edited by JimA2985; 06-09-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Well then maybe you should lift weights and see the light!

Weight lifting improves insulin sensitivity = you can eat more carbs.
    I've tried weight-lifting. It's not for me. It makes me sweat. Forget it.

And why would I want to eat more of what caused my condition in the first place? "Work out, then you can eat more poison!" Yeah, THAT's convincing.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    It appears that human beings would be able to pull-off a diet rich in *good* carbs as long as they have not experienced diet-related metabolic issues in the past. Stephan Guyenet shows many examples in which some traditional societies achieve very good overall health in spite a high-ish ammount of dietary good carbs.

The way I see it, once one has suffered from metabolic syndrome, gut flora distrubances and other physiological issues resulting from the SAd, for example, it would be necessary to cut carbs dramatically in order to reverse the damages. It also seems unclear to what extent can we completely reverse the damage through diet and lifestyle. And the more damaged our physiology the more carb-intolerant we might get.

At the end, what we have is a broad mosaic of people exhibiting different degrees of carb-tolerance, and I guess everyone has to find it's own through experience. That being said, we can thrive perfectly with a *complete* lack of dietary carbohydrates. Therefore, if we do not need carbs to thrive, it would make sense to talk about thriving *in-spite* of carb intake.

@rphlslv: in theory, a fully keto-adapted body would be able to lift weights with no drawbacks in a VLC diet. I am not a lifter so can't talk by experience, but there is a ton of anecdotal evidence out there.
    Last edited by SerialSinner; 06-09-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Why be a performance athlete? How is that Primal? Why bother? Grok didn't work out, and he didn't run marathons, and he didn't play sports. And why push yourself to the max? *shrug*

My goal is 240. 160 sounds emaciated to me. I need to drop about another 80 pounds, not "hundreds" of pounds. Whether the insult was intentional or not, that was an insult.

Look, my point was mostly to the people who think that being ripped and being a performance athlete is the Only Right Goal To Have. Frankly, I don't think it's the Only Right Goal To Have, and I just want those who think it is to lay off me and the others here who are here for blood sugar control and weight control and who really don't give a damn about being a performance athlete. Frankly, the performance athletes here tend to come across as pretty obnoxious and holier-than-thou, and I'm getting tired of it.

There is no way we are going to agree on this. If you do not even "grok" the concept of being an athlete, nothing I do or say is going to convince you otherwise even if I did have the desire to "convert" you.

I just wanted to point out that some people want to push themselves to the max. The awesome thing about humanity is that we are all different: That's about as primal as it gets.

edit: Fury is my hero

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    agreed. grok would not survive if he wasnt fit enough to hunt/run/kill/fish, some type of movement. lifting heavy things and being physically fit is extremely primal.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post

Seriously? Why would someone want to be an athlete? I don't know...I guess we should all follow your example and be fat and lazy (which is what you are). That would be ideal. It's jus something people are driven to do. To push ourselves to maximum of our human performance.

The only person here that needs to lay off anyway is you. You're the one demonizing carbs and criticizing other people for what amounts to being driven to be physically fit or better, and not fat and unattractive like yourself. You are the one with the holier than thou attitude.

Frankly I think you're just mad bro. You're mad at yourself. I would be too if I were you.
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Fury22 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    agreed. grok would not survive if he wasnt fit enough to hunt/run/kill/fish, some type of movement. lifting heavy things and being physically fit is extremely primal.
    ^^This.

No Paleo humans didn't run marathons, but they were exerting themselves through play, hunting, surviving, killing things, etc. That was "working out".

Apparently physical exertion isn't Primal. Oh wait....
    Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    grok was the ultimate performance athlete.......

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast