Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: About carbs. page 2

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Maybe it's not so important to excel at the gym. Maybe it's not so important to be ripped. Maybe you need to ease off on the workouts. Think about those things.
    What makes you think you can decide what's important for anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonG View Post
    thats the thing, to us working out IS that important. it makes us feel good. there is no feeling in the world like finishing a long jiujitsu battle or feeling that much stronger. you may not understand because thats not one of your interests, but excelling at the gym feels great and is healthy. we are here to find out how to balance the PB and our lives so neither our health or workouts suffer.
    Yes. My sanity depends on lifting.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    @Metismomma: Ketosis is what burns the fat. You need to be in ketosis to burn fat. What do you mean when you say you feel like hell? Describe it.
    Tired, lightheaded, low energy...if I do get a spurt of energy, I feel almost hyper and will keep going as long as I don't stop. Once I stop moving, I crash. Maybe my blood sugar gets too low?
    I'll be able to tell you more later, trying another VLC carb day today since I don't work tonight. Be able to give you a better idea.
    Calm the f**k down.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's not so important to excel at the gym. Maybe it's not so important to be ripped. Maybe you need to ease off on the workouts. Think about those things.
    You are a massively obese individual who needs to drop hundreds of pounds.

I am a performance athlete who pushes myself to the max. Who is more qualified to determine how many carbs I get and where I get them from?

I want you to understand that what I just said is not a slight or insult against you. I used to weigh 300 pounds and now I weigh less than 160.

Not everyone here has the same goals. You don't want to be a high performing athelete. Some of us do, and carbs from good healthy sources (including fruit and sweet potatoes) are absolutely required for us.

Everyone can benefit from lowering their carbs, but I sincerely disagree with the level that you try to push as necessary.

Some guy I heard knows alot about the Primal Diet wrote this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/best-and-worst-fruits/

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Griff - I you don't think you need to be in ketosis to burn fat. When in Ketosis, fat is your primary fuel.
    But when you get plenty of fat, and a low enough level of carbs you can burn both sugar and fat.
    I would guess that the majority of people on this forum have never gotten into ketosis and have clearly been burning fat.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Fine, all I ask is that you recognize that those of us who either a) are not athletes or b) are here to talk about diet, not workouts, do have to look at carbs as inherently bad. There's just no nutritional reason that anyone should eat carbs at all - they're not essential. The body can produce them from protein if it's necessary.

I will admit that I do not see working out or exercise as anything other than a big, time-wasting hassle. I hate it. I hate sweating (I hate living where I live because it's hot and dry all the time), so extra exercise that isn't something I already have to do - like walk across campus - is not for me. I can't grok your attraction to it. Sorry.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Great writeup there, Griff.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Great rant, Griff.

You probably could have stopped at the quote below or broken this up into two posts because the first reply seemed to miss:

When I say "Don't eat carbs," I mainly mean starchy carbs. I mean carbs that are going to spike your blood sugar. I mean potatoes, other tubers, grains, most fruit, legumes, sugars, candy, maple syrup, honey, most liquid dairy. I mean stuff that breaks down into fructose and/or glucose and prompts an insulin spike. I mean stuff that jabs at your beta cells.
    That's advice I believe everyone should keep to with understandable differences in what makes people happy and how they handle a couple of the items.

You and I seem to have similar carb counts and sources. 50 grams max, significantly lower most days, and near zero from your above list, save a little not too sweet fruit. But, I will cheat on rare occasions that call for it with items I feel enhance my quality of life. That could be wine. It could be cake and ice cream at my kid's birthday party. It could be pumpkin pie after Thanksgiving dinner. Maybe a hunk of good chocolate a Cuban cigar. I really don't know. But if being perfect adds a couple years to my life and enjoying some rare treats costs me a couple more -- I'm dying happy.

No doubt you were misunderstood yesterday.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    Tired, lightheaded, low energy...if I do get a spurt of energy, I feel almost hyper and will keep going as long as I don't stop. Once I stop moving, I crash. Maybe my blood sugar gets too low?
    I'll be able to tell you more later, trying another VLC carb day today since I don't work tonight. Be able to give you a better idea.
    That sounds more like the low-carb flu. That's not ketosis. That's your body having never adjusted to using fat for fuel.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

ChrisSullivan is offline Junior Member
    Long time lurker, and I tend to agree that everyone has different goals and their dietary intake should reflect how to meet those goals best. In context of the PB, no one on this form is advocating going our and eating pizza, pasta, beer, etc... on a routine basis. At the same time, it's not necessary for everyone to stay at or below 20g/day if they're needing to lose weight. You can't generalize that for everybody.

I think this image explains it all.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fine, all I ask is that you recognize that those of us who either a) are not athletes or b) are here to talk about diet, not workouts, do have to look at carbs as inherently bad. There's just no nutritional reason that anyone should eat carbs at all - they're not essential. The body can produce them from protein if it's necessary.

I will admit that I do not see working out or exercise as anything other than a big, time-wasting hassle. I hate it. I hate sweating (I hate living where I live because it's hot and dry all the time), so extra exercise that isn't something I already have to do - like walk across campus - is not for me. I can't grok your attraction to it. Sorry.
    Well then maybe you should lift weights and see the light!

Weight lifting improves insulin sensitivity = you can eat more carbs.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast