Thread: Eating Gluten Prior To Celiac Testing page

Grok'sMom is offline Junior Member

Eating Gluten Prior To Celiac Testing

Primal Fuel
    My mom was just diagnosed with celiac this week (positive blood test and scope). The whole reason I've been gluten free for the past two years is because I have uncomfortable symptoms when I eat gluten. Therefore, I think I may have it as well (10% chance you have it if a parent does). I would like to be tested, but I have heard the blood test will give a false negative if you've been GF, since the antibodies are just not present in your blood, thus they will not show up on a test. My doctor said that to prevent a false negative I need to eat gluten for the next few days then do the blood test.

Does anyone have experience with eating gluten just for the celiac test? I've seen the "gluten challenge" recommendations that you eat 4 servings of bread for 12 weeks to get the gluten antibodies back. Heck no, I'm not going on gluten for that long. I'm doing 5 days and that's it. Does anyone have experience with the amount of gluten/time frame you need to get an accurate test?

*before anyone asks, "why get the celiac test done if you know you feel better GF?"....I would like to have that knowledge. If I legitimately have a gluten disease, I want to know. I will not cheat as much and I will be able to tell my kids that I have it in case they run into symptoms.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    You should read research by Fasano et al re non celiac gluten sensitivity. Just for that, there is no need to go through this test.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    It's always good to know how sensitive you are in the production of gluten antibodies if you are sensitive to gluten. Depending how sensitive you are, you might have to stay away from wheat in personal care products (you should anyway), and even inhaling gluten foods that are cooking. There are tests I believe that can test for prior IGA and IGG sensitivities without having to eat Gluten.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, its all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

Grok'sMom is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Swanson View Post
    It's always good to know how sensitive you are in the production of gluten antibodies if you are sensitive to gluten. Depending how sensitive you are, you might have to stay away from wheat in personal care products (you should anyway), and even inhaling gluten foods that are cooking. There are tests I believe that can test for prior IGA and IGG sensitivities without having to eat Gluten.
    Thanks for the input. Can you elaborate on what exactly I should ask the lab to look for? This is just a primary care doc that is ordering the test so I want to make sure I get the most mileage out of the test. I just assumed all celiac tests looked at IGA and IGG.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Even if you have full blown Celiac damage seen on an endoscope, you have 25 - 50 % chance of being negative on the various blood tests. There are no good blood tests for Celiac Disease / gluten sensitivity; there's no reason to bother. The genetic test correlation is even worse. The only good standard is to be on wheat and have an endoscopy, and even THEN you can have no visible damage but clearly be having symptoms of Celiac Disease / gluten sensitivity.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

momrn is offline Member
    Not sure where people are getting their info...

Check out The University of Chicago Celiac Center's site. It is a geat site and they will answer questions.

Celiac is more involved than go gluten free and get better, especially for adults.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Cactus is right but I would go with all the tests on Array 3. Cyrex Tests & Arrays
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gutThe book price is $9.99.

I put my blood, sweat, and tears in making sure that this ebook is one of the best literary pieces written in regard to digestive health. You want detailed cutting edge information on probiotics and digestive enzymes, BAM, its all searchable in an easy to read kindle format.

Hannakb is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    There are no good blood tests for Celiac Disease / gluten sensitivity; there's no reason to bother.
    Except for the fact that Celiacs are more likely to become ill with certain diseases (eg bowel cancer) & it's easier to get tested & more likely to be routinely done if there is a diagnosis.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Even if you have full blown Celiac damage seen on an endoscope, you have 25 - 50 % chance of being negative on the various blood tests. There are no good blood tests for Celiac Disease
    This is spot on. The blood test can prove you have celiac, but it can't prove you don't. Either way, you go on to more tests so it's hard to see the value in doing the blood test at all - unless it is the health funds procedure.

If your doc won't cover you for the endoscopy, you could try the Enterolab stool test. It is very sensitive, picking up people who show negative on other tests, but respond well to the diet change.

And agree with Momrn :" Celiac is more involved than go gluten free and get better, especially for adults. "

The big issue for most people is they struggle to be truly gluten free. Cross contamination is hard to avoid. They also have often developed secondary problems which need to be treated/managed to get a good result.