Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing gut: Impossible page

Malfouf is offline Junior Member

Losing gut: Impossible

I'm apologizing in advance for the very lenghty post. I really appreciate advice and help on this!

I am obsessed with getting perfectly lean and losing the little bit of belly fat I have. I've been primal for about 3 months now, and for the past 2 weeks (and counting), I am going 100% primal, meaning absolutely no alcohol, and no acceptable vices (e.g. dark chocolate).

I'm fairly lean by most standards, and was already pretty thin before going primal. I'm 5'11" wighing 150 lbs (used to be about 160 before going primal). I'm surprised to have lost that much weight given that I didn't think I had that much to lose in the first place. My concern is that I've lost 10 + lbs (a lot for my frame), yet I still have this unsightly little belly. I thought I might be losing muscle mass, but I am eating a significant amount of protein with every meal, plus I can feel and see myself getting stronger with every workout.

My workouts consist of the P90X (5-6 days a week) in the mornings, and BJJ or boxing 3 x a week in the evenings. On days where I work out 2 x (morning and evening) I try to eat a little more carb than usual (usually fruits like a banana) after my morning workout to replenish glycogen stores so I can go at it in my evening workout.

Below the following questions is a breakdown of my daily diet. My questions are:

1. How do I know if I am eating too much or too little fat (I can't seem to add any more given how much I'm eating!)?
    2. Am I appropriately balancing my primal diet with my workout needs?
    3. Do I need the little bit of extra carbs on double workout days?
    4. Any advice from primal folks who have done these kinds of workouts (P90X, BJJ)?
    5. Diet and workout advice in general?

Diet Breakdown:

Typical daily diet:
    -----------------------

BREAKFAST: 3 egg omellete w/veggies (spinach, mushrooms, garlic, sometimes tomatoe), fried in 1 Tbl spoon of coconut oil. + 1 cup of coffee black. Sometimes eat a small handful of blueberries.

WORKOUT NOTE: On days I do the P90x workout in the morning (usually 1 hour workout), I might add some coconut milk (1-2 Tbl spoons) OR avocado to the eggs to make it thicker and delicious, OR add in a little bit of whey protein powder in the eggs if it's a particularly muscle strenuous workout.

Fat sources: Eggs, coconut oil, sometimes avocado or coconut milk (1-2 TBl spoons)

LUNCH: Big Ass Salad (spinach, some mixed greens, artichokes, onions, brocoli, sometimes chick peas, sometimes oilives, olive oil, balsamic vinegar) + 2 or 3 pieces (small-ish pieces, add up to one BIG steak) of fish.

Fat sources: olive oil, fish (usually tilapia, so not much). Least fat heavy of the meals.

DINNER: Lean meat (chicken, pork, or tuna from a can) + veggies either roasted or fried. Sometimes I'll cook the chicken in coconut milk + thai spicy curry paste (delish!). If it's too light, or i'm still hungry, I'll throw in some nuts. Usually my lowest carb meal of the day.

Fat sources: coconut oil, meat, sometimes coconut milk if used, sometimes nuts.

PROTEIN SHAKE: I do the primal shake recipe of Mark's (coconut milk, almond butter, cocoa powder), and I add a scoop of whey powder to it. I ONLY drink these as meal replacements when I don't have time to make breakfast or dinner. Like this morning, I had a shake, but also threw in a half banana (15 grams of carbs) to it since I know I will be working out later. I calculated that the morning protein shake I had consisted of 30 grams of carbs (should be fine, I can still easily stay within the 100 gram limit, or even if i go over, I'm easily below the 150) and 30 grams of protein. I don't know how many grams of fat total, but it was 1/4 cup of coconut milk, and 3 Tbl. spoons of almond butter.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried carb cycling?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I'm not sure what carb cycling is, or how to go about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Malfouf View Post
    I'm not sure what carb cycling is, or how to go about it?
    Have you heard of the Anabolic Diet?

Basically you do very low carb monday through friday, then on do a carb refeed on weekends.

You might want to go a little further and do zero carbs from monday through saturday, and do a carb refeed on sunday only.

Worked wonders for me.

However I am on the same boat, still trying to lose the last bit of belly fat.

My concern with the complete lack of carbs is how it would affect my gym performance (evening sessions are usually 1 hour long). Would it adversely affect muscle building given that I would probably be burning muscle glycogen?

My stamina is great, I have lots of energy, maybe I'm just too obsessed with losing my gut...

My concern with the complete lack of carbs is how it would affect my gym performance (evening sessions are usually 1 hour long). Would it adversely affect muscle building given that I would probably be burning muscle glycogen?

My stamina is great, I have lots of energy, maybe I'm just too obsessed with losing my gut...
    Burning muscle glycogen IS what you want. The whole point of the carb refeed is to replenish the glycogen stores so that it will last all week.

Yes your performance might suck, especially since you are working out so often, but you're not going to be doing this forever.

If you decide to follow this method, I suggest you cut back on your exercise a bit otherwise you're going to be overtraining.

If you'd like I can email you the Anabolic Diet ebook. It's mostly for bodybuilders/powerlifters.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat that you are right now. I'm 5'10" 150 with about 7% body fat and a decent amount of muscle. I have just tiny bit of cushion over my lower abs and not much visible fat anywhere else; striations starting to show. I'm working to have the remaining belly fat gone too so that all of my abs will be fully visible.
    I would recommend IFing and getting into the mentality that it's your diet that will cause your fat loss and your workouts will make your muscles bigger. Trying to cardio away your belly fat is really difficult.
    I pretty much IF daily in that I don't really eat breakfast or lunch normally and I eat once or twice in the evening as time and availability permits. I'm also nearly carnivorous these days which insures that I get plenty of protein for my muscles and I can guesstimate how much fat I'll need for energy. I certainly wouldn't say that it's a fast process at this point, but it is working.
    For that matter dropping too much fat too quickly when you're at low BF percentage anyway is probably not a healthy thing anyway.

Thanks rphlslv, I appreciate the gesture. I don't think I will be trying the anabolic diet method just yet, since I plan on sticking to the workout routine I started for the next few weeks.

Thanks rphlslv, I appreciate the gesture. I don't think I will be trying the anabolic diet method just yet, since I plan on sticking to the workout routine I started for the next few weeks.
    Okay then I recommend the lean gains method. http://leangains.blogspot.com/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good suggestion Daemonized: I'll try IF'ing once in a while, especially on rest days. What is your process for "guestimating" fat amounts? Do you basically just eat some healthy fatty food until you're satisfied, that is if you've already met your required amounts of protein and carb? Good point about BF; I would rather be 155-160 and be able to toss people around than be 145, weaker, but with a six pack.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast