Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing gut: Impossible page 2

Malfouf is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I read a little bit of that blog; sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. It's the balancing act that's difficult for me given my athletic requirements. Moderation sounds. I will look into this further.

Thanks rphlslv!

Malfouf is offline Junior Member
    Very interesting; just skimmed over the link you sent. Sounds like a perfect level of moderation needed in my case to achieve the balance I'm looking for between working out and nutrition. I will look into this further.

Thanks rphlslv!

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    I have no advice on losing the last bits of belly fat since I'm not there yet, but it seems like you are working out an incredible amount and may be overtraining.

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    My guesstimation is a function of me being full and knowing more or less the caloric content of the food that I've eating vs how much I should be getting. I want to have some degree of a caloric deficit but I don't want a large on either. When you only eat once a day, you need to make sure that your one meal covers your nutritional needs for the day. Getting all of your needs met in one mean requires some thought. I have some idea of what what my caloric needs are and some idea of how much I'm getting out of the foods that I'm eating. That said, I don't count my calories too closely nor do I weigh my food or anything like that.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    I have no advice on losing the last bits of belly fat since I'm not there yet, but it seems like you are working out an incredible amount and may be overtraining.
    Yep yep yep.

Drop P90x, stick with BJJ, add maybe some resistance training for the hormonal response. Definitely read Leangains, I'm going to be starting that very soon. I have about 5-10lbs I still want to lose.

I propose a thought which may have already been discussed but screw it: Are our bodies designed or meant to be THAT lean? I think the answer is no, is it possible to achieve? of course we see it all the time, but I highly doubt paleo man, Grok, whomever, was a walking anatomy chart. Fat is needed in case of famine, which we may not face at least soon, so trying to be super lean goes against what our bodies want to do, which is make sure they have some fat in case we can't find food. Just saying, it's what makes the process so difficult for most.

Also, don't be obsessed... understand that nobody's going to hand you a check when you achieve your goals, in fact, there's a leangains article about what happens once you get there... the author of leangains found himself rather empty, like I did all this work and now... what? (eventually he found it gave him more time for other things) not worrying so much about losing body fat, and he stays lean year round following his 16 hour fast with 8 hours of feeding, which is what I do and very slowly the fat is coming off. It would be faster if I wasn't negligent with my diet. Like another poster said, don't try to cardio or work-off your body fat, nutrition will get you there but it will be a slow road. You got plenty of time so chill out.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Losing gut: possible

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Okay then I recommend the lean gains method. http://leangains.blogspot.com/

perhaps you should try them both at the same time tis what i have been doing and the results have been sick. I think i will post a progress picture sometime soon, but when I started trying to gain some weight around mid april, and started at 163 pounds, after i just weighed myself at the gym today, and the scale was at 176. Plus I know all of my water weight is gone from the weekend. Did i mention that my abs are showing better?
    that is about 14 pounds of muscle. Do i expect those gain to be that great for the rest of the summer? Nope, are some of those noob gains? maybe since I moved from a 3 day to a five 5 workout routine, or maybe it is because of the sweet sweet hormone manipulation that I have been putting my body through :-)

Its a bit complex what I have been doing, but if you really want some info on not only carb cycling, but calorie cycling as well I am more than willing to elaborate a bit!!

lossing fat and gaining muscle at the same time (well basically at the same time) is totally possible

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Look into cortisol issues. sounds very very much like you have high cortisol levels. Stress induced cortisol is likely to cause your body to store fat around the bellybutton specifically. You diet is fine... beyond fine.

I think you are working out far too much, physical activity, particularly stuff like p90x and BJJ is gonna release a ton of cortisol. Relax. Cut intense stuff down to a couple times a week and do something more mild on other days, or even do nothing sometimes. Make sure you are sleeping as long as you physically can. Do what you can to reduce other stresses in life, work, kids, etc.

Additionally there are some supplements that people sometimes suggest for blunting cortisol but I'm not comfortable recommending anything except fish oil because I don't know enough about it myself and I don't wanna give bad advice.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I hate to sound like a broken record but: A poor omega 3:6 tissue balance contributes heavily to leptin resistance. Ron Rosedale made an excellent point that I hadn't thought of in an inteview recently that the usual good 1:1-2 omega 3-6 intake would make sense only if we were all born this morning. If one goes many years with an out of whack balance and then starts eating a good ratio, they're still going to be out of whack because of all the previous tissue omega 6. The solution is to get a tissue concentration test and then if necessary (most likely) go heavy on the fish and fish oil and eliminate as much omega 6 as one can until the ratio is corrected.

I just started really going hard on the omega 3 and foregoing omega 6 a week ago but already that little tiny bit of gut that i had is gone and I would probably have a sweet 6 pack if I didn't hate ab exercises so much.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    Losing gut: possible
    yep, you must believe it. That's the first obstacle in your path.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast