Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Random Health related question: Adrenal Fatigue/Hormone issues page

  1. #1
    cwells51's Avatar
    cwells51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    27

    Random Health related question: Adrenal Fatigue/Hormone issues

    Primal Fuel
    I'd like to say that I'm a big ball of health 99% of the time but there have been a few signs and symptoms that point to some type of hormone imbalance (adrenal, cortisol, aldosterone). I figured I'd pop on here, list off the symptoms and get an idea from the Primal Blueprint folks.
    Stats: 29 yr old Male. 6'2" 169lbs.
    Diet: 150-250grams of carbs per day, 1g/lb of protein, the rest is fat. Calorie load is anywhere between 1,500 and 3,000 per day depending on how I feel. I eat three meals per day and don't stress too much about calories. I eat till satiated and then stop.
    Exercise: Endurance and bodyweight exercises 5-6 days per week. When I run, 90% of my mileage is done very easy (120-130 beats per minute. I can sing opera at this pace).

    Symptoms that I've begun to notice (Some have been with me for so long I didn't really notice them)
    - Cold hands and feet (long time now. girlfriend pointed this out)
    - Go to bed at 10-11pm. Wake up at 3am to piss. Wake up at 5 am to piss. Wake up at 7am and pee before I eat breakfast. Pretty frequent urination in general.
    - Dry feet
    - Pretty low resting heart rate (not an issue really, but it's pretty low. 35-39bpm)
    - Pretty hungry most of the time. As of two weeks ago I've upped my protein and decreased carbs and this has helped
    - Sleep quality is sporatic
    - Blurred Vision

    What do you guys think? I'm seeing a Holistic doctor next Friday to pick his brain as well. All thoughts and suggestions are welcomed

  2. #2
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,154
    Get a complete blood panel, including cortisol, thyroid, testosterone and blood sugar. Speaking from experience it best to get the numbers before you start changing diet and supplements.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

  3. #3
    Grafter's Avatar
    Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    247
    I concur with UF, it sounds like you should get some blood tests done (with total and free test, the various thryoid tests (there is much more than just TSH that you should do)), and work off of those.

    However, based upon some of your symptoms it sounds like your cortisol may be on the high side and you may be hypothryoid. My questions:

    1. What are you using for the source of your carbs?
    2. How long have you had the sleep issues? Is there a time recent memory where you haven't had to wake up to pee? Have you tried to minimize what you drink in the hours before bed?
    3. Have you had any large, stressful events in your life recently?

  4. #4
    cwells51's Avatar
    cwells51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    I concur with UF, it sounds like you should get some blood tests done (with total and free test, the various thryoid tests (there is much more than just TSH that you should do)), and work off of those.

    However, based upon some of your symptoms it sounds like your cortisol may be on the high side and you may be hypothryoid. My questions:

    1. What are you using for the source of your carbs?
    2. How long have you had the sleep issues? Is there a time recent memory where you haven't had to wake up to pee? Have you tried to minimize what you drink in the hours before bed?
    3. Have you had any large, stressful events in your life recently?
    1. Carb Sources: Sweet potato, carrots, parsnip, and other veggies. Very limited fruit. A little bit here and there. 1-2 days per week
    2. I've had sleep issues for almost 2 years. I've been minimizing fluids. Tonight I stopped drinking fluids at 5pm. We'll give that a go
    3. No large stressful events. I was a furloughed government worker, but I don't think that was very stressful. Sure I wasn't getting paid, but I had enough saved back that I didn't sweat it. Taking the government job in the first place was rather stressful b/c I work with a bunch (not all mind you) of idiots on a daily basis. Not to mention the public generally hates us. So that is a bit stressful.

    Primal Docs on Facebook posted something today about waking up at 3am every night and it being related to low blood sugar. After tomorrow (My 29th Bday) I'm going to tick the carbs down another notch and see what happens there. I moved my appointment with the holistic doc to tomorrow morning as well. Depending on what he says I will likely schedule an appointment with my GP and have blood work done.

    I know that running isn't primal and that it can affect the hormone stuff, but one would think that after 5+ years of it I would be pretty well adapted. Either way, my last two races are on the weekend of November 2 and I'll take a week off of running and focus more so on long walks. I'll also take a technology break during that time and limit computer use to the early morning hours and stay away from it after work.

  5. #5
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,154
    And I agree with Grafter; sounds like cortisol and thyroid could be out of whack. How is your body temperature? If it's low combined with your low heart rate those are big indicators of low thyroid. Take your temperature in the morning before you do anything. If you are hypothyroid low carb is not a good idea, I'd recommend eating more fruit.

    I have a lot of the symptoms you mentioned and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) about 6 months ago. I think I've had it for a long time but it got worse after eating low carb last winter.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

  6. #6
    cwells51's Avatar
    cwells51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    And I agree with Grafter; sounds like cortisol and thyroid could be out of whack. How is your body temperature? If it's low combined with your low heart rate those are big indicators of low thyroid. Take your temperature in the morning before you do anything. If you are hypothyroid low carb is not a good idea, I'd recommend eating more fruit.

    I have a lot of the symptoms you mentioned and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (hypothyroid) about 6 months ago. I think I've had it for a long time but it got worse after eating low carb last winter.
    Body temperature has been fine. I ruled that one out about 8 months ago. Pretty spot on with the normal body temperature somewhere between 97-98.7 (I don't really recall, I just remember checking it several mornings in a row and getting an average).

    The low pulse rate has been the norm since before the sleep stuff too.

    The low carb paleo approach has been recent. I was high carb paleo all summer (250-400 grams) and the sleep thing was still an issue. I recently switched to lower carb to see if that would have an effect on it. No noticeable change.

    Thanks for the responses though. I've gone through a lot of different ideas. So many that I don't always recall what i've tried until it's been mentioned

  7. #7
    poing's Avatar
    poing is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    99
    I suspect that low carbing increases cortisol levels, and high nighttime cortisol might be a contributor to the night waking.

    How are you calcaulating your carb levels? With the vegetables you listed you must be eating a shed load of them to get the carb levels you mentioned.

    Yesterday I ate a whole cauliflower and that's only 7g of actual carbs, if you plug the numbers into Cronometer. You'd have to eat nearly a kilo of sweet potato (2 lb) to get about 175g carbs or about 2 kg (4.4 lb) of carrots. Are you really eating carbs at that level?

    Any idea whether you're waking to pee or peeing simply because you're awake? Most people need to pee on waking, it doesn't mean that was what woke them up.

  8. #8
    cwells51's Avatar
    cwells51 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by poing View Post
    I suspect that low carbing increases cortisol levels, and high nighttime cortisol might be a contributor to the night waking.

    How are you calcaulating your carb levels? With the vegetables you listed you must be eating a shed load of them to get the carb levels you mentioned.

    Yesterday I ate a whole cauliflower and that's only 7g of actual carbs, if you plug the numbers into Cronometer. You'd have to eat nearly a kilo of sweet potato (2 lb) to get about 175g carbs or about 2 kg (4.4 lb) of carrots. Are you really eating carbs at that level?

    Any idea whether you're waking to pee or peeing simply because you're awake? Most people need to pee on waking, it doesn't mean that was what woke them up.
    I have a food scale that I weight out my food with. I'm not 100% religious with it, but I am when it comes to my starchy carbs and meat. I track stuff on livestrong.com
    My macro's yesterday were: 100g fat, 220g carbs, 180g protein
    The sweet potatoes I eat are typically in the 350-450gram portion size. So I damn big sweet potato. The parsnips are usually equally big. Looking at the numbers I had nearly 69g of carbs from the sweet potato and another 50-60grams from the parsnips alone. If I run anything over 5 miles I'll throw in a large banana. Sometimes I'll rock some beets.

    I'm 90% sure that I'm waking to pee. There are times when the dream I'm having is directly related to me searching for a place to pee. Which wakes me up eventually and I notice that I have to go.

  9. #9
    Mamame's Avatar
    Mamame is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    93
    If low aldosterone is an issue it is usually accompanied by an increased salt craving - not just increased urination.

  10. #10
    SalubriousU's Avatar
    SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    118
    PrimalCon New York
    Hey cwells,

    I had very similar symptoms 7-8 months ago: cold hands and feet, low pulse, lower body temperature, waking up around 3 a.m. every night, peeing multiple times during the night, and low sex drive to name some off the top of my head. They definitely sound like adrenaline and cortisol responses (for example, normally adrenaline peaks between 2-4 a.m. and that's likely what's waking you up...it was for me.)

    I highly recommend checking out Diet Recovery II by Matt Stone, as it addresses all of these problems plus more and helped me tremendously. I have no affiliation with Matt or his products, but from one guy to another I'm super glad I found it.

    What's your salt intake like? How about sugar? Do you IF in the morning or anything?
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •