Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fasting? Mark's idea v reality page

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member

Fasting? Mark's idea v reality

Shop Now
    I'm just finishing up my first read of Mark's book. I'm at the fasting part and I need some explanation.
    Mark claims that a 12 to 18 hour of not eating is already a benifitial fast.

On a week day I eat dinner almost every day around 5.30/6pm, normally after that it's only tea (no sugar) and water till the next morning when I have breakfast around 6.45am... That's already passed that 12 hour.
    In the weekend breakfast is much later, sometimes around 8/8.30am while dinner time stays the same. than I'm already on a 14 hour fast...

But is this a real fast? Can I see it as a real fast or is 12 hours way to short to consider it a fast...

Next week I'm going to try and see how far I come without food for a day. (hopefully till lunch and do a 18 hour fast) but the concept of fasting and how long your should do it for it to be benifitial is still very vague to me
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Paul at Perfect Health Diet is a big proponent if IF, there is some good info there. Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life | Perfect Health Diet

I regularly practice IF and it makes me feel great. More energy by a mile. It helps that I am almost never hungry first thing in the morning, so I just wait until I am. Typically around 11:00 am I am starving. For me that makes ~16 hours. My limited understanding of the benefits if IF is that you need to get to around 14 hours to see the benefit.

I think that IF'ing is a very personal journey. If you don't feel better, then it probably isn't worth doing.
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I do it on an ad hoc basis 16 hours feels good and I get so hungry that even liver tastes great.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I, and many many others, do not consider the bulk of your 'fasting' hours being during sleep to be considered fasting.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    I, and many many others, do not consider the bulk of your 'fasting' hours being during sleep to be considered fasting.
    Please explain? You do not count the 8 to 10 hours sleeping as a part of your food-day?
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Lynna is online now Senior Member
    I fast from supper to supper 2 days a week. The only time I get really hungry is when I start making my supper to break my fast. It's not really a full 24 hours, since I always seem to end up eating later (betw 6 and 7 pm) on my non-fast day and breaking my fast around 5:30/6 pm.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I count sleep time as fasting. Curious as to why not. Maybe something to do with hormones and the sleep cycle being so different from waking operation?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jackaaron is offline Member
    I eat my last bit of food at approx 7:30-8:00pm. I don't start eating until 1pm. 7 hours of whatever I want, and 17 hours of nothing (water, or coffee with half & half).

Since doing this, I've lost over 25 pounds (since April) and I've added muscle. I haven't changed what I eat yet either, however, I will be doing that because the next 10-15 pounds will likely require that.

I cannot go beyond 1pm. I've tried, and it ended up backfiring. But, I found 1pm is what I can do, so I'm sticking with it. In the future, if I decide to go one meal a day, then so be it.

jackaaron is offline Member
    Also, forgot to say...

If you're not counting sleep hours as fasting, then you shouldn't be counting them as part of the day either.

So, if you sleep 8 hours a day, and fast from 6am to 12pm, and 8pm to 10pm (8 total hours fasting), then you're fasting 8 of 16 hours.

I think it would be odd to do that, and I would just say that in the above example that i fast 16 of 24 hours.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    One meal a day is very nice! That's my maintenance. But I've been eating more since working out and adding back dairy and some potatoes. I wasn't really adding much mass or improving my numbers much, and I think it has to do with my food intake. But, for maintenance and simplicity, it's hard to beat one meal a day!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast