Thread: Cholesterol question page

Kace is offline Senior Member

Cholesterol question

Primal Fuel
    I know there have been lots of posts about this in the past, but would really appreciate it if somebody in the know could shed some light on whether I need to worry about the following cholesterol results (taken as part of a blood test checking for horomne levels, thyroid function and other things).

I am healthy, reasonably active, of normal weight, nearly 42, eat a mostly primal diet and never get enough sleep (ooops!). I am in the UK so not sure if the same measuring units are used everywhere (in fact, I don't even have the measuring units; I asked the nurse to jot the figures down on a piece of paper for me...).

Total cholesterol: 6.7 (less than 5 is ideal - 2.5 years ago (pre-primal!) my value was 4)
    HDL 2.22 (target range 0.9 - 10.00; the nurse said that this was the good cholesterol and this level is fine)
    LDL 4.10 (target range 0.0 - 3.0; apparently this level of bad cholesterol is a problem)
    Triglycerides 0.84 (0.6 - 2.3)

Ratio: 3.0 (apparently less than 4 is ideal, so the HDL level appears to be compensating for the LDL level if I understood what I was told correctly

I am interested to know if I need to be concerned (I am not at the moment). My Dad (age 72, fit, healthy, still works out three times a week) has been on cholesterol-lowering medication for the past couple of years, so there may be a family link. The nurse wasn't that worried. She gave me a diet sheet (with the warning that it was produced by Flora - she knows I don't eat margarine!) and said I should have another blood test in three months' time.

Thank you in advance.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    It is not so much the total cholesterol that you need to be concerned with, it is the ratios of various bits & bobs as these are a better indication of any possible problems.

The ratios you want are:-
    Total/HDL Ideal is 5 Mine is 7.5/1.5 =5
    Trig/HDL Ideal is 2 or below Mine is 2.4/1.5 = 1.6
    LDL/HDL Ideal is 4.3 or lower Mine is 4.9/1.5 = 3.27
    HDL/Total Ideal is above 24% Mine is 1.5/7.5 = 20%

As you can see the only one that isn't excellent is the last one and I'm not going to worry about 4%. My total cholesterol is a little on the high side but it's not such a risk factor as conventional wisdom makes out.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Kace, your numbers are excellent. Trigs, HDL and their ratio all good.

Nigel, when using mmol/L the Trig/HDL ratio should be 0.9 or less, so yours is outside the ideal range. You need to work on lowering Trigs (less carbs, less alcohol) and raising your HDL (more saturated fat)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thank you for your replies, Nigel and peril.

The only further question I have is about the total/HDL ratio you mention, Nigel. You said the ideal is 5. Mine is 3, but I have no idea whether that is a "good" or a "bad" deviation or if deviations either way are equally problematic.

Also, if I return to the doctor's for the next blood test and there is no change, are there any arguments I need to have ready about why I am not prepared to do anything about my "abnormal" LDL results?

Thank you again.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    Thank you for your replies, Nigel and peril.

The only further question I have is about the total/HDL ratio you mention, Nigel. You said the ideal is 5. Mine is 3, but I have no idea whether that is a "good" or a "bad" deviation or if deviations either way are equally problematic.

Also, if I return to the doctor's for the next blood test and there is no change, are there any arguments I need to have ready about why I am not prepared to do anything about my "abnormal" LDL results?

Thank you again.
    3 is better than 5, so you're good.

Pointless arguing with most GPs. A polite no is the only response you need. If they insist, say that you won't listen unless they can show you evidence of compelling benefit for you. There isn't any for primary treatment

Sent from mobile
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thank you, peril.
    I shall just continue along my merry way then