Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Telling my parents about PB? page

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member

Telling my parents about PB?

Yesterday, I got really close to telling them about PB. I found some almond marzipan(sp? it's basically pure sugar, I'd guess, with some almonds) and my Mom said: "Hands off, that's mine!" as a joke because I don't like marzipan at all. So I said: "So the "Not-eating-candy thing" to lose weight has been given up on?" and she just shrugged.

I asked that delibaretely and the candy was just a means to bring it up. I planned on saying: "I found this site about easy weight loss. It's called [Name of Dutch site, roughly translated into "Eatfat.com" ) and I think it makes sense."
    The idea was that she'd read it and have an "Aha" moment, because I hardly eat bread and more eggs and full-fat-yoghurt instead.

But I felt hesistant in mentioning the site. Technically, I could tell them: "I just want to try eating like this for a month. A month of eating more fat isn't going to kill me, and if I gain weight, I'll lose it afterwards because I'll go back to normal eating -in case I get other ailments. I feel more energetic this way, you see me going on walks every day and I never did that before."

Besides, they can't force me to eat pasta, bread, potatoes etc. Well, they could make a big mash/puree thing, but I doubt she'd do that.

I'm afraid that if I do mention Primal/high-fat-low/moderate-carb, she'll realize why I'm eating eggs instead of bread and "force" me to eat bread again. I think the only reason why she hasn't done it yet is because I take bread with me to my internship. (I eat the meat/cheese/whatever near-Primal stuff I put on it and toss the bread.)

Besides, she'd look at it like this:
    If eating high-fat/lower carb would be healthy, then why don't doctors say so? They want us to be healthy, if it was healthier they'd tell us. And if carbs/sugar cause diabetes, then why tell diabetics to eat more carbs and whole-grain etc. Yeah, yeah, sugar and carbs cause insulin response, but then why don't doctors tell diabetics to eat less carbs? (they do, but my Grandma, who's diabetic, just eats whatever she wants and Mom doesn't know any other diabetics) Besides, the "Voedingscentrum" (kind of like a Dutch Heart Association or something) tells us that we need starch and fiber, they wouldn't tell us that if it's not needed. Etc. etc. more CW-ness etc. etc. Oh and you don't need to lose weight anyway, so why "restrict" yourself?!

I doubt I could convince her. I do plan on just making a big container of salad on Monday, to take a bowl with me every day, but then there's still dinner which is potato-laden. Sometimes we have pre-made-microwavable soup, with gluten and whatever stuff there's in it.

I'm kind of afraid that, with eating more fat, but still plenty of carbs, I'll put on weight. (Yeah yeah, I lost 4 lbs since I skipped the bread, but what if that's just water-weight?)

Damn, now I don't even know why I wrote this. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips to convince my Mom (Stepdad won't be so bad, I think.) that grains/starch/gluten isn't doing our bodies any good - even though she only feels a bit bloated after having pasta, which is "normal" of course - and fats are good. In my mind, it's simple: Fat comes from animals, which is natural. Whole milk, fatty cuts of meat, butter instead of margarine etc. are all natural. So how can it be bad for you? (Granted, poisonous mushrooms and berries aren't good for you and they're natural, but you get my point)

I feel like I'm asking for advice while previously saying that they won't listen anyway. Now I feel like an attention-seeker. D:

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    How old are you ?

I'm 18.

Yes, I know, that means I'm legally an adult and should be able to make my own decisions, especially about what foods I put into my mouth and my body... But, they want me to be healthy and I'm sure that the PB screams "Heart-attack/high/cholestrol/FATFATFATFAT" to them.. It's kinda like having a kid that's stuffing his face with fastfood all day, wouldn't you try to interfere if it was your kid?

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Why not mention that Sweden have changed their nutrition guidelines just recently and that you think that's interesting..

Sweden Becomes First Western Nation to Reject Low-fat Diet Dogma in Favor of Low-carb High-fat Nutrition | Health Impact News
    You can then say that you are interested in researching the idea as you have never felt great eating lots of wheat.
    If that doesn't work you can fake a blood test that shows you're gluten intolerant and borderline metabolic syndrome and that you need to eat real food to cure yourself.
    If that doesn't work leave home and do what you want.
    Man seeks to change the foods available in nature to suit his tastes, thereby putting an end to the very essence of life contained in them.
    www.primaljoy.co.uk

How would I fake a blood test? I mean, I could get a test done (but that means I'd have to eat gluten/bread for... a month or so before the test?) but I think my parents would expect me to go to a nutritionalist(sp?) to talk about what diet would be best for me. If I never go because the test was negative (well, if it's positive then I don't have to worry ), won't they get suspicious.

But the article about Sweden might help... and mentioning that I just hate bread (I only eat it when it's been charred/toasted to death. ). OTOH, that article is one against ten thousands of articles saying that fat is bad.

My Dad will be the easiest, maybe I should start with him. Show him about Ancel Keys' studies, how he cherry picked results, and show him that in all the studies about red meat and cancer, all the people had a high-card diet. He's a smart guy, maybe it'll make sense.

I do plan on getting a job, though. It's kind of silly but I feel like I just can't wait for three years before my education is finished and not being able to eat healthy food. That, among with some other problems, could be a little shove to moving out and living on my own. Not sure if I could manage though... I'd have to work 3-4 days a week, study for school, and keep the very small house/studio-appartment (most likely) clean as well.

What if I fail and have to move back? That would be so emberessing.

On the article about Sweden: I began looking for an article in Dutch. I found one from 2012 saying that "Eating high-card is allowed again. Research proves that a high-card low-fat diet is healthier than a low-card high-fat diet."

Apparently they change their minds a lot...

Edit: Of course I can only find a Dutch article of 2012 which says that eating high-carb/low-fat is better... Blasted Dutch media!
    I could show them a Dutch paleo site and add that I would eat high-fat and dairy, though...
    Last edited by The_Introvert_Huntress; 10-24-2013 at 03:51 AM.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    You are going at this from the wrong way... You are emphatizing on the weight loss part of it but not the "being-healthy and feel good" part.
    I have noticed that when you start telling about following a diet people already go on the defensive side. Mentioning something that is completely opposit of CW like eating fat to lose weight and get healthy will only get you being attacked by these people.
    You have to approach it from the positive side.

I told my mom that I ditched the sugar first. It makes me feels tons better. Than I explained to her that I don't feel so well after eating bread and pasta and that I tried ditching the carbs (which contains tons of sugar as well) also just to see if it will work.
    She asked what I eat if not grains: Veggies, fruits, meat, eggs and dark chocolate.
    (Never ever metion meat or eggs as the first, people will only really pay attention to the first and second word you mention. it even worked with my doctor)

Going to the processed foods (my family addores packages for everything) I slowly started to point out that they weren't healthy. I mean look at all the chemicals mentioned on the label. They really can't be good for you, right?

Just don't ever mention fat... fat is a curse word in CW, just like the beep-word on the US telly...It will get people to ignore rational arguments and you loose the battle. You know there is fat in meat and in eggs but it's not necessary to tell everybody until they are ready to listen to you properly.

Also with your mom, does she likes Dr. Oz? if so show her the show he did on Paleo dieting. He wasn't negative and had some really good arguments in it. (you can watch them on his website). it might convince her that you are onto something.

Just don't push too hard... you are an adult, they have to start to trust your choices.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Warmbear is online now Senior Member
    They cant force you to do anything you dont want to. If you give in it is your responsibility not your mom forcing you. Stand up and stop being passive aggressive. Take a stand and do your research and slap it on the table, Does your mom not read English? Google translate can help there.

You know why you do this, tell them you are doing it. If they complain then offer them the research to read on their own. They can or they wont but it is not your problem.

Family never listen, they usually think we are crazy and not a doctor so what could we possibly know. tell them, explain the rules and why you live this way and make it clear you have made this choice as an informed adult.

Take a stand and move on, let mom scream all she wants and just nod and smile.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Hey, that's a good idea Marielle! Someone mentioned before that I should just say that I feel bloated/stomach-ache after a meal of pasta etc... but the only reply I get is "Me too, I ate way too much!"
    The focusing on weight-loss is because they'll probably see it as a diet and not a lifestyle. They see CW as a lifestyle.

Well, to them it is: If it's damaging to us (not unhealthy, because they know McDonalds etc. is unhealthy), it wouldn't be sold/it would be illegal. Aspartame etc. thus isn't dangerous.

I think they would be OK with me eating more veggies and fruits, but I just need something to prove that starch, fiber and grains aren't necessary to be healthy. Preferably Dutch scientific studies... because if it's only media they'll think it's a fad diet.

It's not the meat, veggies etc. they'd be bothered with. It's the lack of grains and fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    They cant force you to do anything you dont want to. If you give in it is your responsibility not your mom forcing you. Stand up and stop being passive aggressive. Take a stand and do your research and slap it on the table, Does your mom not read English? Google translate can help there.

You know why you do this, tell them you are doing it. If they complain then offer them the research to read on their own. They can or they wont but it is not your problem.

Family never listen, they usually think we are crazy and not a doctor so what could we possibly know. tell them, explain the rules and why you live this way and make it clear you have made this choice as an informed adult.

Take a stand and move on, let mom scream all she wants and just nod and smile.
    Was typing my own post while you posted.

That's probably a good thing to do. Now some people might be like: "Don't start and arguement etc." but with the current situation, it's probably best.

My Mom doesn't accept my autism. She only agreed to let me go to a psychologist to get my suspicions of having ADD either confirmed or not (I'm on the waiting list) because if she didn't, she'd be flat-out rejecting me.

She keeps on saying that she never didn't accept my autism, but then why did she never tell me about it 'till I was 14? Why not search studies together, explain it to me? Explain to me that I'm a bit different than other kids, but not weird or anything? The psychologist that I saw when I was 12 was supposed to help me deal with my autism, but my Mom didn't want her to tell me. How can she help me if she isn't allowed to explain what's "wrong" with me?

Oops. My personal problems hijack my post again. Now I feel like I'm whining.

But standing up for myself regarding diet would force them to see that I'm an individual who can make and will make her own decisions.

And you're right, even if we get into a fight, they can't force me to eat bread/potatoes whatever. (Yeah, they can shove it in my face, but that's abuse, I assume)

LOL, looking back at my reply to Marielle, I realize how different my two posts sound.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^^ You should point out that eating a banana gives you as much fiber as a whole grain sandwich but tons more vitamins.
    Same goes for most veggies and fruits. While they hold less fibers than whole grain bread they have much more healthy things in them than bread. So you still get fiber (through veggies) but with the added vitamins which bread is lacking.

I understand your issue... there are many Dutch research reports but not many are usable as they shoot down eating red meat.
    If I come across a good one I'll notify you.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast