Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Telling my parents about PB? page 3

The_Introvert_Huntress is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How am I focusing on it being a diet/fat loss diet too much?
    I think that my parents will be convinced that I'm healthy already, because I'm not sick often and I'm not overweight, I don't have rashes, I do have eczema on my footsoles but they think I'm just sensitive to it (just like my Dad) etc. etc.
    They see CW (normal) diet as "feeling good and being healthy" and anything else as "weight/fat loss diets".

Well, I figured that I can just gradually lower the grains and starches (less pasta and more sauce, less potatoes more veggies, less fries more meat - salad for lunch and just one slice of bread I won't eat anyway instead of two) etc.
    They'll eventually ask about it and then I'll try to explain it... I'll just say that I don't feel bloated at all, feel less tired (I was always yawning all day long), less cold... Not sure what else I could do...
    They'll just see that I eat more veggies and fruit (like you said before LOL) and they can't really say that's not healthy.

Like how many Primal people do it: Don't talk about it unless people ask.

(Now I notice how often I change my mind: One time I'm all "I need to make my own decisions, they can't force me!" and the next "... I'm afraid they'll think it's unhealthy etc. etc."

Planning on getting some salad on Monday and fill a plastic container with it and take a portion with me to work. (Can't get some tomorrow because it'll probably wilt by the time I'm back from my Dad's.)

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    OK, just tell them you don't want no frigging bread, cereals, low fat crap. They will save some money in that way. Maybe that will talk some to them (financial aspect) ?

Keep potatoes though, nothing wrong with them unless you are the unfortunate soul with nightshade sensitivity. White rice is good too, get animal bones, make bone broth and cook the rice in it.

Haha, I think that'd make them pretty angry. But I should do that. (And probably will... it's about time.)
    They aren't going to cook with butter/coconut oil, though. They cook with Flora cuisine or olive oil. I could pursuade them that olive oil is healthier and tastier, though. Even though I understand that it's not optimal with high temperatures(?).

Well, I don't have a sensitivity to nightshades, but they do have starch, that's converted to glucose... bloodsugar spike.. insulin, yada yada, yawning, feeling tired etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Introvert_Huntress View Post
    Well, I don't have a sensitivity to nightshades, but they do have starch, that's converted to glucose... bloodsugar spike.. insulin, yada yada, yawning, feeling tired etc.
    I don't want to repeat ad nauseam what has been discussed and argued 1000 times in other threads but you know, if that was that simple, life would be much easier ... Not all starches are digested, some are feeding good gut bacteria (resistant starches) and potatoes happen to be one of the best source of RS. There are tricks to maximize how much RS you eat from them. This stuff will not spike your blood sugar and insulin, if that's what you are afraid of. Read the resistant starch threads from Otzi. You don't grow fat on reasonable amount of potatoes, especially when they are eaten after having cooled down 24h in your fridge. Refry them for maximum effect.

Flora cuisine ? what's that ??

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    How about a conversation that starts,

You: 'How about if I cook the meal tonight?'

You could create a habit of you doing the cooking a few times a week, and make those meals Primal without anyone noticing. (If you don't have weight to lose, there's no need to eliminate potatoes.) If that's the only thing you do, you're still greatly improving your diet (and theirs, incidentally).

Or on days when your parents cook,
    'Broccoli! Could you cook extra, so I can have that instead of pasta?'

I don't see why you should need to have the in-depth conversation about what constitutes a healthy diet at all. If your parents have overwhelming respect for medical/ governmental authority, you're not likely to change that in a hurry, so why try? If you make this a big argument about world views, or about whether your mother is feeding you things that are bad for your health, you will presumably get a big argument and lots of resistance. The harder you push, the harder they'll push back. Why not just stick to talking about what you'd like to eat today?

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    [...] Flora cuisine ? what's that ??
    http://www.flora.com/Flora/Flora-pro...a-Cuisine.aspx, basically a mix of veg oils. But then the Dutch variety.

I'll look up the threads tomorrow (it's late here and I should take a shower and go to bed). Not sure if I can convince my folks () to refridgerate potatoes for 24 hrs. though I do that sometimes with steamed potatoes when I have one left over.
    Last edited by The_Introvert_Huntress; 10-24-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Flora Cuisine | Flora product range | Flora UK, basically a mix of veg oils. But then the Dutch variety.
    By the gods!!! From the website: linseed, rapeseed and sunflower oils ... That's insane ... they fry things with that ???? Well, time to find a flat and live on your own my Dutch friend ...

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea where to get duck fat! Or any fat to cook with for that matter! (Could I use real fatty butter or will that mess up the fries?)
    Take some real butter, then melt it on a low temperature in the oven. The water and milk proteins will sink to the bottom and the top 85% will be pure butterfat. Pour off the butterfat into another vessel (discard the salty milk/water). Congratulations, you have just made ghee. This is a stable fat that is great for all kinds of cooking, particularly frying (since it's chemincally stable at high temperature and won't go rancid the way a polyunsaturated fat would).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Take some real butter, then melt it on a low temperature in the oven. The water and milk proteins will sink to the bottom and the top 85% will be pure butterfat. Pour off the butterfat into another vessel (discard the salty milk/water). Congratulations, you have just made ghee. This is a stable fat that is great for all kinds of cooking, particularly frying (since it's chemincally stable at high temperature and won't go rancid the way a polyunsaturated fat would).
    Is that how it works MM?
    I thought is seen videos where the melt the butter and skim of stuff that rose to the surface and what they were left with in the pan was the ghee, unless want passing attention. I remember one vid in particular where the guy was adding herbs and stuff like coQ10 to the pan.

In going to have to have a search now, this has me curious.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    By the gods!!! From the website: linseed, rapeseed and sunflower oils ... That's insane ... they fry things with that ???? Well, time to find a flat and live on your own my Dutch friend ...
    Ick, linseed oil? I used to paint with that. And, as I recall, it smells pretty funky--can't even imagine eating it. I'm sure it gets processed to the point of being unrecognisable, but still.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast