Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ~ Mideia page

Mideia is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal ~ Mideia

Shop Now
    Long ago, I fell in love with Mark's Daily Apple and everything about this community, so I think it's time I participate on the forums that I've spend an exorbitant amount of time reading. After a divorce earlier this year and a total lifestyle switch, I fell off the Primal train for a few months. It just happened.

Before the divorce I was eating a kinda-strict Primal. Red meat, fish, no poultry, eggs, raw nuts, veggies, fruit, fats, spices, coffee, honey and dairy. Never anything processed, no sugars, no artificial ingredients.

After the divorce, I've been ingesting poison daily. Lots of poison. Bad poison. I'll spare the details, but it's ugly. Each day, it seems, I decide I'll never eating poison again. Each day, I do. I've had a few good weeks spaced out, but that doesn't cut it. Living with people who subsist on pastries for days on end is no excuse for what I'm doing to my poor body. I know better.

Now, the moment I publish this journal, I'm committing to be strict and healthy with my diet once more. I've had my couple months of poison ingestion, guilt and indulgence. No more. I'm coming back stronger than ever. A strictly organic, raw-as-possible diet of meats, fish, nuts, non-starchy veggies, eggs, berries, ghee, coconut oil, fermented foods and spices. Non-berry fruit and all starchy veggies are on the no-no list for now, I'm aiming for a very-low-carb diet for the next couple months, at least.

I'll keep myself accountable here and possibly start a MyFitnessPal account. Not sure how I feel about calorie-counting, though. I'm done eating for the day and will start journaling the food I eat tomorrow morning, likely along with exercise and general primal-related journal topics. That's what you're supposed to do in these threads, right?

This is my first post to these forums, so... It's nice to meet you all!

NOTE: The repeated use of 'poison' when referring to non-primal foods is not meant to offend, it's a point I emphasize to discourage myself from ruining my diet. Plus, it's become a bit of a running joke among my friends about me, the cavewoman, "eating poison like it's candy."
    Last edited by Mideia; 10-23-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Grammar Nazi

It's Day 1 of my re-commitment to living a primal life and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I stepped on the scale this morning and---surprise, surprise---I've gained nearly up to my all time high weight. I'm not disheartened, though, it's a bit of a fresh start I suppose. My goals are as follows:

○ Eat a purely-primal diet and give up all processed junk.
    ○ Do HIIT 5-6 days a week. Do yoga daily.
    ○ Get 6-7.5 hours of sleep each night.
    ○ Sit in chairs less often---Grok squat more.
    ○ Spend more time in nature and away from civilization.

Height: 5'5.5
    HW: 161 lbs/73 kg/11.5 stone
    CW: 159.4 lbs/72.3 kg/11.4 stone
    GW: 120 lbs/54.4 kg/8.5 stone

Here's today's meal plan:

B: Tea with coconut oil and a bowl of raspberries---I've a container of them that will go bad if I don't chow down today
    L: Venison steak topped with ghee and a side of sauerkraut
    D: Large herring salad with raw goat milk cheese and Canadian bacon, topped with a lemon juice and ghee dressing.

Everything I eat is organic and grass-fed/wild caught/pasture raised.
    Last edited by Mideia; 10-24-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Grammar

R3bekah is offline Senior Member
    Hello, I am sorry you had to go through a rough patch. I have a feeling you are coming out of this stronger and better. Your intake looks amazing! I'm sure I can learn from you!

Yesterday went perfectly, particularly when compared to the past few months. I skipped the coconut tea because it just didn't sound appetizing, so I ultimately ate less than planned. Now, my goal isn't to eat as little as possible or anything, but given my recent weight gain, it couldn't hurt.

Speaking of weight, I stepped on the scale today to see a significant loss. It's amazing how fast water weight falls off once you clean up your diet!

CW: 156.6 lbs/71 kg/11.2 stone

Here's today's meal plan:

B: Coconut oil green tea with a side of blackberries
    L: Large mackerel salad with kimchi and assorted veggies from Vitamin Cottage's $2 grab bag, topped with homemade dressing
    D: Homemade sausage over sauerkraut with a side of raw Brazil nuts

@R3bekah Thank you so much for the encouraging words! Rough patches are opportunities to grow, evolve and get outside your comfort zone. At least, that's how I view them...
    Last edited by Mideia; 10-25-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Grammar
    My journal is here.
    This link is mostly for my own reference, but I record my meal plans each day and general ramblings if anyone's interested.

Just a general observation while I'm thinking about it... I feel less sharp than usual today. Words are not coming as easy to me and I'm having trouble focusing on anything. My memory is also impaired.

I believe this is the low-carb flu that Mark mentioned a little while back.
    My journal is here.
    This link is mostly for my own reference, but I record my meal plans each day and general ramblings if anyone's interested.

Would it help if you really upped your fluids?

Quote Originally Posted by R3bekah View Post
    Would it help if you really upped your fluids?
    That was my thought! Well, my thought was really that if I'm eating less, maybe I'm getting less hydration from foods, if that makes sense. So, today I put away my 64-ounce bottle and broke out the 1-gallon bottle!

I ensure I drink enough by filling a large bottle and emptying it before the day is over, otherwise I hardly drink anything. A debated topic, here on MDA, but I feel better when I drink enough, thirst or no thirst. Thank you for chiming in!
    My journal is here.

If I don't drink enough water I get agitated, foggy, ect. I haven't read too much about it here yet but as a nurse I believe in the power of hydration. It's amazing the immediate changes you see after giving a dehydrated patient some IV fluids. I know we get fluids from veggies and fruit but at the moment I haven't been eating enough of them to hydrate me.

With my memory suffering from the low-carb shift, I'll just leave a note here for myself. I just realized I've veggies that are about to go bad, so... Tomorrow's meals must include the following:

○ Kale Chips---will be eating them fresh from them oven
    ○ Avocado Salad---mashed and used as salad dressing

Quote Originally Posted by R3bekah View Post
    If I don't drink enough water I get agitated, foggy, ect. I haven't read too much about it here yet but as a nurse I believe in the power of hydration. It's amazing the immediate changes you see after giving a dehydrated patient some IV fluids. I know we get fluids from veggies and fruit but at the moment I haven't been eating enough of them to hydrate me.
    Have you ever read Primal Body, Primal Mind? There's a chapter in there about water and hydration that really opened my eyes about the importance of staying hydrated. Not everything in the chapter---or the whole book for that matter---resonates with me, but it came to mind on the subject of how important hydration is.
    My journal is here.

cowboyhippie is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    How do you make kale chips? I tried eating kale raw but couldn't handle it, but it is so nutritious I want to work it in my diet.

Ps. Thanks for your story! It inspires me!

Sent from my Desire HD using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast