Page 52 of 93 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Diet, Fall 2013 page 52

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Oh Otzi I wonder if we can start a Beans Hack next I know they are higher calories, but one can get satified easily on them... anyone willing to experiment?

I may do that at a later date.
    I tried that one day and by that evening I had severe joint pain, though I had no awareness of being sensitive to them. I will undoubtedly revisit it later to reconfirm. Good luck.

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I tried that one day and by that evening I had severe joint pain, though I had no awareness of being sensitive to them. I will undoubtedly revisit it later to reconfirm. Good luck.
    Oh did you soak/prep the beans as Otzi suggested?
    Some people get joint ache from potatoes, luckily am OK with Potaotes, however I get joint ache from fruit, if I have on week of eating 2 or 3servings of fruit my hand and toes start to hurt... can't find an answer to why, the only thing I can think of is salicylate, beans are very low in salicylate (well some of them are).

MsSmith is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baconator View Post
    Hi MsSmith, this is basically what I'm doing and my starting weight is almost the same as yours. So far I've done 4 days on/2 days off and lost a total of 4.4 pounds (.6 from the off days!) You might get better results than me since I've been adding some ketchup or mustard and sometimes use a tiny bit of fat for cooking. Good luck!
    Thanks! Same to you! I look forward to reading your updates.
    Paleo Diet: 8-25-13 Wt: 185 BF% 27
    Primal Diet (Lower Fat/Carb): 9-27, Wt: 176.4
    Potato Hack Diet (Rotation): 11-12, Wt: 171.2
    Primal Diet (LF/C): 1-23-14, Wt: 159.6
    CW: 158 GW: 130 CBF%: 24.38
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Yep put in the fridge, if you really want higher count of RS freeze them for 30 days
    OK. What is the issue with salicylates (peels on).
    48 - 5'7.5"

"What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet." ~ A.F.

"Exercising should be about rewarding the body with endorphins and strength, not about punishing your body for what you've eaten." ~ Unknown

Oh did you soak/prep the beans as Otzi suggested?
    Some people get joint ache from potatoes, luckily am OK with Potaotes, however I get joint ache from fruit, if I have on week of eating 2 or 3servings of fruit my hand and toes start to hurt... can't find an answer to why, the only thing I can think of is salicylate, beans are very low in salicylate (well some of them are).
    My standard preparation method for dry beans and peas is to soak them for at least 8 hours in multiple changes of water, then pressure-cook the heck out of them, as I like them really soft.

Another food which bothered me in the exact same way when I was doing that "eat only one food today" thing was peaches. The other night I ate a pear and my shoulder started to hurt. Oh-oh. Both peaches and pears are FODMAPS foods. I will no doubt revisit this, but my boyfriend will end up being served the rest of the pears for now.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSmith View Post
    OK. What is the issue with salicylates (peels on).
    Oh if you are not sensitive to it you should be fine... I am just experimenting with avoiding it, as per the prev post I had joint ache from fruit (I repeated the same experiment several times and always the fruit cause me joint ache) so experimenting with removing salicylate, I can't see anything else in the fruit that I'd be sensitive to... not fructoze as if I eat some veg (stri-fy) daily I have no pains and those are low in salicylate.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    My standard preparation method for dry beans and peas is to soak them for at least 8 hours in multiple changes of water, then pressure-cook the heck out of them, as I like them really soft.

Another food which bothered me in the exact same way when I was doing that "eat only one food today" thing was peaches. The other night I ate a pear and my shoulder started to hurt. Oh-oh. Both peaches and pears are FODMAPS foods. I will no doubt revisit this, but my boyfriend will end up being served the rest of the pears for now.
    Used to change the water as well, but Otzi advises 8-24 hours soak in the same water so it gets a bit of fermentation (will have a slight sour dough smell)

Used to change the water as well, but Otzi advises 8-24 hours soak in the same water so it gets a bit of fermentation (will have a slight sour dough smell)
    It is the indigestible soluble sugars that cause both gassiness in beans and foaming during boiling, something I want to avoid during pressure-cooking. If I was in severe pain after what I ate, I doubt a few extra hours at room temperature would have changed the effect, or that the level of fermentation taking place within the bean is going to be affected by what is washed away.

Oh if you are not sensitive to it you should be fine... I am just experimenting with avoiding it, as per the prev post I had joint ache from fruit (I repeated the same experiment several times and always the fruit cause me joint ache) so experimenting with removing salicylate, I can't see anything else in the fruit that I'd be sensitive to... not fructoze as if I eat some veg (stri-fy) daily I have no pains and those are low in salicylate.
    OK thanks. I will be on the look out for any pains. In the past, sometimes when I would get take out chicken or pork, it would feel as if my right hand/fingers were locking in place, thumb pulling downward towards my index finger and palm. Not sure if that makes sense. I would have to rest it on a flat surface until it subsided.
    48 - 5'7.5"

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    So for the gang that is doing one potato meal; one protein meal this week:

I started yesterday. Had 1lb potatoes for lunch; 16 oz 1% cottage cheese and 8oz gelatineous beef for dinner. 5 hours separation.

Down 2lbs today. Most of it just water weight from muscles recovering from sunday workout I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 52 of 93 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast