Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Diet, Fall 2013 page 43

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaflard View Post
    Yes, dill weed. It's fabulous in potato salad. Any herb you like would probably work to infuse flavor into plain potatoes as they're boiling in water.
    Oh yes I do like dill very much, used to put it in the potato salad with mayo... thanks

OG/Julia I used to add mustard and garlic to my mashed potatoes years and years ago. My mum mashed her potatoes with yogurt as well as garlic never used butter or cream with the potatoes.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Oh yes I do like dill very much, used to put it in the potato salad with mayo... thanks

OG/Julia I used to add mustard and garlic to my mashed potatoes years and years ago. My mum mashed her potatoes with yogurt as well as garlic never used butter or cream with the potatoes.
    Oooo...mustard in mashed potatoes sounds REALLY good. I just cut my baby fingerling potatoes in half and munch. I may try a mashed day too.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I want rosemary roasted potatoes. Going to do that with butter (my next oil of choice) for next week's Monday-Wednesday.

Nom.

Had 1.5lbs of potatoes for lunch today. Mostly it was leftover potatoes from my Monday-weds hack. Experimenting with potato lunch and protein dinner on a training day and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TP, butter and Rosemary..yum!! Trying that next for sure.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

dallytante is offline Member
    I know wheat isn't popular, but has anybody tried this using Fiber Gourmet pasta? Each serving has 18g or so of resistant starch.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I'd go to beans before I'd go to wheat. . . . . . mmmmmm, at this point, a big vat of pinto beans cooked up in
    the crockpot sounds absolutley freaking DIVINE. HA!

List of Foods Very High in Resistant Starch | LIVESTRONG.COM

Julia

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Some dude who helps spot me who hasn't seen me in gym for 2 weeks:

"You look a lot firmer. Any diet change?"

Almost told him I am on a diet where I only eat potatoes but I didn't.

------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Just reporting that while me going down 5.6lbs on 3 days of potato hack didn't impress me, me going down 1.2 lbs**** after I went off the potato hack Thursday and ate everything (11 eggs, 8oz beef, 16oz 1% cottage cheese, 3 coffee milks, some oj, 8oz lamb... Some French fries at a restaurant and a bit of frozen yogurt...) did.

I did walk at least 5mi and stood the rest of the time instead of sitting as I was at a fashion shoot.

But damn. Yeah, I was craving protein.

Also, I ate 1100cal, 1500 cal, 1400 cal on potato hack days. Hardly fasting.

My experience is the same, I lost far more weight in the three days following the PH than I did during it. Weird but I'll take it.

Oh yeah, I'm also 40 and have had 3 kids so I guess that means it's the PH and not some random stroke of young luck.
    Last edited by NourishedEm; 11-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Hi Otzi and everyone else
    Ahh, the Potato thread redone, I did this 12 months ago and had great success with weight loss, however due to being in late stages of peri-menopause and over indulgences during the year I have put back on what I lost. UGHH.

Last Year I did the potato hack for 14 days straight, potatos, salt and pepper and a bit of sauce if it was chips etc. In that 14 days I lost 4kg ( 8.8lb) I did add rice for a couple of days, the days I added rice I had no loss. I documented it at the time, so have the food diary etc to look back on. At the start I felt like I was seasick, awful nausea, that passed by about day 3. My throat started to feel tight on about day 4, I also had a horrible metal taste in my mouth that would come on a couple of hours after eating, I also felt cold often.

What I did discover was that I was going into ketosis about 2 hours after each meal and staying there till I had my next lot of potatos to eat.

After the 14 days of potatos I added in greens and other non starchy veg, a little oatmeal for breakfast and some fruits ( Berries mainly) along with the potatoes. ( still no meat or dairy or fat) That lasted another 3 weeks and in that time I lost another 2.5kg.

In the 5 weeks, I ate no fat, no dairy and no meat. Blood tests soon after indicated that I had low B12 and Low D. My Iron had dropped to bottom of normal range. I also tested positive for ketones in urine. My night cramps also worsened.

I could not maintain the vegan type eating, I was bored and am not a big fan of vegies anyway so I added back fat, dairy and meats. I maintained the weight for probably 3 months, from then it was a slippery slope downhill with intense cravings for sugar ( I have never had those before) , fats and just general overeating. Perimenopause also causing problems.

I am now in a position where I am back where I started from. I hesitate doing the potatos only for 14 days. It was far too long, and difficult at work etc. I think the idea of protein lunch/ potato dinner sounds great. I also love the idea of potatos just for a couple of days and usual eating in between.

From what I gather, fat needs to be right away from the potatoes for whatever the magic is, to work.

One thing I did wonder, is that potatoes are very high in potassium, whether there would be issues with kidneys etc. Though I'm thinking that having protein at lunch or alternating with normal eating instead of doing say 14 days straight would be less stressful on the body.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post
    Hi Otzi and everyone else

One thing I did wonder, is that potatoes are very high in potassium, whether there would be issues with kidneys etc. Though I'm thinking that having protein at lunch or alternating with normal eating instead of doing say 14 days straight would be less stressful on the body.
    Hey! There she is! Nice to see you again. Thanks for the detailed notes. Give the protein lunches a try, I think it's a big step up from all-potatoes. Weight loss may be a tad slower, but it's easy to cycle in a couple days a week.
    Otzi

baconator is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,

I am mostly a lurker here but had to pop in to thank otzi and everyone else for sharing their experience with the potato diet. I have high cortisol levels that make if difficult for me to get quality sleep, and also to lose weight. Since going primal over a year ago I have gained 25 pounds despite keeping my carb intake between 75 and 120 grams per day. I've been able to maintain my weight going under 50 grams but still couldn't lose any (BF is about 30% so yeah, I have fat to lose). Anyway...I lost 3 pounds in 3 days of taters I will be going back to primal tomorrow and plan to cycle 2 or 3 days per week. Weight loss will be slow but at least I am not gaining! So excited to finally see the scale go down after all this time. And also excited for steak and eggs tomorrow

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast