Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Diet, Fall 2013 page 36

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No, nothing green, no growth. They just always taste - bitey.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    No, nothing green, no growth. They just always taste - bitey.
    I don't know then, I've never experienced that.

Key Tones is offline Member
    Otzi

I did my own made up version of a potato diet when I was in college. I was watching Oprah; she had a guest on explaining the nutritional powerhouse that is the potato. I decided to eat only potatoes plus skim milk. I thought potatoes were low in calcium, I heard the show guest say that, so out of caution I added skim milk. I ate 5 potatoes per day, peeled, cubed, then microwaved. I poured 1/2 cup of skim milk over the thing after it came out of the microwave and ate it like cereal. I was 19 and lost 30 pounds in 30 days and the weight DID NOT COME BACK. I was 220 and lost to 190. It was amazing. I was still in the mid 190s when I was 22. I was damn hungry sometimes in that hour before my next potato, but much of the time I wasn't. I had only one off meal during that month, which was half a huge hamburger my friend's uncle bought for us for some special occasion. Potatoes only do not cause so much hunger. I wouldn't add the skim milk ever again, but I did lose some major weight.

RE: potatoes plus meat: I think mixing the potatoes with other foods causes hunger. When I decided to try the Shangri-La diet, I ate potatoes during the day and would eat a light meal at night of shrimp plus cauliflower or perhaps wild caught salmon and broccoli and took MCT oil shots. I actually lost more weight coming off the potato hack doing this. If you want potatoes plus protein, I would separate the protein from the potatoes, and only mix the protein with a low carb vegetable. I feel the same way about the MCT oil, must be taken alone Shangri-La style (no food/flavors for one hour on each side of the shot). This creates the appetite suppression, as do plain potatoes.

I got the idea to separate foods from reading Stephan Guyenet. I like his rules. Don't add salt to food, if you must have salt, mix it in water. Don't add fat to your foods. If you want butter, eat it by itself. You don't have to eat them at separate meals (although I do), just don't mix the together. These are seriously intelligent suggestions. He has list of recommendations for weight loss - basically to follow a whole foods diet, eat potatoes for starch, lower the food reward. There are several tiers, picking off the low hanging fruit (no processed crap), down to limiting the diet to just 3 foods for a SHORT time for weight loss (beef, broccoli, potatoes, or something similar). Then he suggests the Shangri-La diet is another method of accomplishing the same thing - weight loss by lowering the fat set point without hunger (addresses leptin resistance by lowering food reward). I decided to apply them both and stepped off of the potato hack into even more weight loss.

I am down 3 pounds since starting this round of the potato hack (actually down 6, but I'm not counting the first three that came off over the weekend after a Halloween bash 'cause that was just bloating as I eased into the hack).
    2005 Low Carb - lost @ 80 pounds slowly, avg 15 pounds per year
    2010 Paleo Diet
    2013 Stephan Guyenet Low Food Reward/Seth Roberts Shangri-La with MCT Oil

Last 40 pounds lost with protein-sparing modified fasts, potato hack, and low food reward/Shangri-La Diet with MCT oil.

Now down 120+ pounds lost

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    What is in white potatoes that makes them taste sort of tingly and poisonous? I'm eating organic russet and organic red potatoes, boiled in plain well water. It's nothing new, white taters have always tasted sort of...acidic? Anybody know what substance is there making that flavor?
    Funny cuz white potatoes (steamed or baked) to me tastes like chestnuts, which I love

Not ford of boiled potatoes, the taste is not as concentrated somehow.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Funny cuz white potatoes (steamed or baked) to me tastes like chestnuts, which I love

Not ford of boiled potatoes, the taste is not as concentrated somehow.
    The only funny thing I ever had happen with potatoes, was when I bought some cheap-o Sam's Club potatoes. I peeled them in the sink and the juice that sprayed off them caused a rash that lasted 2 days on my hands and wrists. I assume it was a chemical used to prevent sprouting or mold.

I have never tasted the acidic taste, nor no I think they taste like chestnuts--maybe we are all different.

Updated our shared journal, but wanted to update here for anyone following the thread, I struggled to start with when it came to PH as I needed large quantities of potatoes to feel satisfied, but now after a few days, I am satisfied on a lot less, I did add veg or had separate cottage cheese meal (separated from potatoes by at least 4 hours) in the early days too, but now I find myslef craving potatoes on their own.

Otzi, is steaming OK or do I have to boil? I read something about cooking starches in water to increase RS?? or did I get that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
    I got the idea to separate foods from reading Stephan Guyenet. I like his rules. Don't add salt to food, if you must have salt, mix it in water. Don't add fat to your foods. If you want butter, eat it by itself. You don't have to eat them at separate meals (although I do), just don't mix the together. These are seriously intelligent suggestions. He has list of recommendations for weight loss - basically to follow a whole foods diet, eat potatoes for starch, lower the food reward. There are several tiers, picking off the low hanging fruit (no processed crap), down to limiting the diet to just 3 foods for a SHORT time for weight loss (beef, broccoli, potatoes, or something similar). Then he suggests the Shangri-La diet is another method of accomplishing the same thing - weight loss by lowering the fat set point without hunger (addresses leptin resistance by lowering food reward). I decided to apply them both and stepped off of the potato hack into even more weight loss.

I am down 3 pounds since starting this round of the potato hack (actually down 6, but I'm not counting the first three that came off over the weekend after a Halloween bash 'cause that was just bloating as I eased into the hack).
    Key Tones - Thanks for posting your thoughts on food separation/reward theory. I tried to get a handle on those concepts last year and could never really grasp them, but what you are saying makes perfect sense, and what I experience with the potato hack confirms some of it. I am 100% (OK 98.6%) convinced that the potato hack lowers the weight setpoint almost as soon as you start it.

I did 5 days of a salty-potato, bone broth gravy potato hack the last week of September, starting weight was 180, lost 5 pounds. Last week I did an 1849-style potato diet, lost 5 more pounds. Then, I ate 3 days normally, over-eating a bit on some liver and fruit. The last 3 days I have been doing all-protein lunches and all-potato dinners, and lost 3 more pounds.

I'm at 168 this morning, down from 180 about 6 weeks ago. This is like rapid weight-loss in small stages that stick around.

I do have to warn, though, that not everyone is able to pull this off. I think a history of IF'ing helps as well as having quite a few carbs in your normal diet. Some people tend to get bloated or can never reach satiety--that is the hardest part of this for me, I wish it worked universally for everyone.

Updated our shared journal
    Didn't know there was one! I'll look for it.

Otzi, is steaming OK or do I have to boil? I read something about cooking starches in water to increase RS?? or did I get that wrong?
    I don't think it matters in the least how you cook them, just so they are edible for you. The RS aspect is a non-player in this as far as I'm concerned. But if you want to increase RS for this hack, or just in general, cook your potatoes however you want, cool them in fridge overnight or couple days, and eat cold or reheat by stir-frying quickly in a hot oil/butter/whatever you cook with.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Last nite I made fried potato slabs. I fried them in CO and then seasoned them when they came out of the oil. I know, I know, not the way they should be prepared but they were awesome! Oh yeah, I also had a 5 oz. glass of red wine. Based on this mornings results, I don't seem to be any worse for the wear.

Day 1 morning weight: 153.0 (man, I hate scales)
    Day 2 morning weight: 151.2 (-1.8 lbs)
    Day 3 morning weight: 149.4 (-1.8 lbs)
    Day 4 morning weight: 147.2 (-2.2 lbs)
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Page 36 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast