Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Diet, Fall 2013 page 3

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by LatinLover1 View Post
    Thanks for reviving the topic. I am wondering if you had any thoughts on the IF advice to only consume low GI/GL foods on fasting days and yet we know that potatoes are known to be highly satiating. Is this not inconsistent?

Thank you.....
    Every single thing about the potato diet is inconsistent with the way we think things work! Last year we tried to break it down, but this year we need to just focus on the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Oh dear god, it's back.

Potatoes are magic by the sounds of it, if "lean men grow fat, and fat men become lean"
    Doesn't that sound a lot like the claims made by Perfect Health Diet and Primal Blueprint?

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    What would the nightshade-free version of the potato diet be?
    I'd love to see someone try this with sweet potatoes, taro, cassava, plantains, or under ripe bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by moluv View Post
    The Rutabaga Bikini Slimdown
    You need to start a new photo thread for that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Where is the evidence that at least some of this isn't muscle loss?
    Some of the weight loss is surely muscle loss. One area where I consistently screwed up over the last few years was trying to get strong and lean at the same time. The two just aren't compatible, IMO. To get strong, you need to accept a bit of fat on your body--to get lean you need to accept you may lose some hard-earned muscle. I think that eating potatoes for a week will result in minimal muscle loss, minimal water-weight loss, and mostly fat-loss.

So just potatoes and water for two weeks?

If only I could find a way to mimic imprisonment during that time I think I could have some real results combining this with the Convict body weight exercises.

Otzi- do you think it would be worthwhile to insert a day or two a week of just potatoes into my current slow cutting plan?

I also can't figure out a way to sneak this past my husband as he will surely think eating only potatoes is the craziest thing I've ever done, especially if I cite prisoners of war as examples.
    There is a whole on-line community of people doing the potato diet in a 5-2 fashion. They even have a recipe thread for the potato diet. I joined in with them for a while, but got banned from the site because I linked to MDA a couple times...I hate that site, moderators gone wild. But, yes, basically just eat potatoes for as long as you can. 5-7 days is easy, 10-14 days gets a bit rough. Also, don't work-out like a fiend when doing this. Try to combine it with a de-load week. If you don't do those, this could be a good time to start. Yoga, walking, fine, but lifting, and hard bodyweight stuff needs to stop. There's just not enough protein to handle muscle repair, but plenty of protein to handle normal maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivanthe View Post
    I might have to insert a day or two of this per week purely for budget reasons.
    It's definitely cheap to do!
    Last edited by otzi; 10-24-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    What would the nightshade-free version of the potato diet be?
    Seeing as Otzi pointed out prisoners and the poor in times of famine can survive on just potatoes, I would say the nightshade free version would be the colonial New England prison/servant staple... lobster!

Way back then lobster was so cheap and plentiful it was fed to prisoners and slaves/servants.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by epicurie View Post
    This potato diet is really bothering me. It works 'too well', that is, I can't understand it(!)
    I've read all the posited explanations here and on other blogs last year, but when I do it and vary one parameter at a time, protein or fat, I still am no closer to a clue as to what's really happening because nothing is explaining the original mystery : the weight loss at low fat-protein amounts even for 1200kC worth of potatoes is as if I ate NOTHING the previous day. Zip. No calories.
    Here's what I've got so far :
    _3-4 lbs a day of boiled or microwaved potatoes, as long as using only 1T of fat per 2lbs, always give me about 0.6-0.7lbs loss daily. It's as if I ate nothing at all (my daily reqs are only about 1800kC).
    ___add up to 2T of fat per 2 lbs potatoes, get less weight loss but still about 0.4 lbs loss per day.
    ___above 2T it shuts off on me, no loss.
    _add 7-10gms protein (eg. ham, minced meat, even liver) to each 2 lb meal, same large 0.6-0.7lbs loss.
    _add more than that protein, loss moderates kinda linearly, until I can't detect it anymore at around 40gms protein a day.

It isn't water loss, none of it. Impedance scales are useless for absolute numbers but relative numbers are fine - no change day to day. Plus, none of the usual changes you get on dehydration or on starting a ketogenic diet (urine color, skin suppleness, water consumption/frequency...). Of course, it's not expected either, since gorging on starch/glucose in potatoes so plenty of glycogen. But hey, nothing else about this works as expected, so I made sure to check the hydration state.

Anyone have similar observations re. inexplainable large weight loss?
    I had to save you for last! Glad to see you here. I know we tried hard to explain it last year, there are so many connections it's impossible to pin it down. Some theories were: magnesium/potassium/sodium interactions, short chain fatty acid metabolism from resistant starch, simple calorie restriction, complex insulin/body fat mechanisms, super-heightened insulin sensitivity, complete shut-down of 'reward circuits', exaggerated leptin sensitivity, gut-microbe interactions, and probably a few more I forgot.

People who had done HCG commented that the potato diet was almost the same effect--very low calories, little hunger, and fast weight loss without going into 'starvation mode'.

At any rate, I think that what really happens is that the potato diet 'changes' you. I was blown away when I read the passage from the 1849 article that said:

And yet, as before said, we advise our dyspeptic friends to make a trial of the potato diet. Eat, of course, no salt, no butter, or condiments of any kind. Our word for it, the experiment will prove a good one; and the prescription costs no money, but, what is incomparably better, an amount of self-denial which is possessed only by a few. And making this experiment for one week will greatly increase the self-denial and perseverance of those who go through with it. We do not, of course, recommend this prescription to those who have to labor very hard, for a sudden change, of whatever kind, does not answer well with such.
    First I was surprised that people were 'dyspeptic' in 1849, dyspepsia commonly meaning, 'people with digestion problems'. Secondly, the talk of 'self-denial' and 'perseverance' really struck me, because that is exactly what the potato diet is about...learning a new relationship with food and hunger. The humble potato seems like a very 'whole' food in that it can sustain you in good health indefinitely. I could never eat enough potatoes to maintain my weight, nor would I want to, but as a means for some quick weight loss, hell ya!

You say eat them as plainly as possible, is a little sea salt a hindrance to results of this diet?

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Can we simulate a tribal potato famine on mda?

**with costumes**

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sige_na_please View Post
    You say eat them as plainly as possible, is a little sea salt a hindrance to results of this diet?
    I have always used lots of salt and vinegar, sometimes even ketchup, and had no problems. I'm going to try a week soon with nothing but potatoes...haven't tried that yet!

otzi Guest
    Can we simulate a tribal potato famine on mda?

**with costumes**
    Only you would think to make a potato famine naughty...

These are statues in Ireland commemorating the Irish potato famine of 1845, for costume ideas...

edit to add: wow, that's a pretty creepy picture! Isn't it strange that this was happening in Ireland at the same time (1840's) someone in America was talking about an all-potato diet?
    Last edited by otzi; 10-24-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    What about making mashed potatoes with salt, broth and add gelatin? The jello potatoes diet! Hmmm, I wonder if anybody have tried that yet?

moluv is offline Senior Member

Potato Diet, Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Only you would think to make a potato famine naughty...

These are statues in Ireland commemorating the Irish potato famine of 1845, for costume ideas...

edit to add: wow, that's a pretty creepy picture! Isn't it strange that this was happening in Ireland at the same time (1840's) someone in America was talking about an all-potato diet?
    I didn't say anything about naughty costumes, but I see I have a reputation...

Though tattered and dirty and lean could easily get naughty around here.

It will be interesting to explore and discuss famine and community impacts.
    Last edited by moluv; 10-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    What about making mashed potatoes with salt, broth and add gelatin? The jello potatoes diet! Hmmm, I wonder if anybody have tried that yet?
    A lot of people do mashed potatoes with bone broth or some other kind of low-fat gravy, I always thought that was a good 'happy medium' if you are worried about muscle loss.

Gorbag - didn't you try the potato diet last year? I kind of remember us talking about it.

Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast