Page 21 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: Potato Diet, Fall 2013 page 21

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Think more protein in the potato than rice

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Think more protein in the potato than rice
    Good point. I remember Jaminet saying in PHD that hunger is largely driven by a protein requirement. Maybe potatoes fill that need quicker.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I could eat waaaay more rice than I can potatoes. Nowhere near as satiating.

So has anyone not had success with the potato hack? I don't mean not being able to stick with it, I mean doing it properly and not seeing it work.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Potato Diet, Fall 2013

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Good point. I remember Jaminet saying in PHD that hunger is largely driven by a protein requirement. Maybe potatoes fill that need quicker.
    What is the insulin/ blood sugar response to potatoes vs rice? That might have to do with it too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    Yeah, I could eat waaaay more rice than I can potatoes. Nowhere near as satiating.

So has anyone not had success with the potato hack? I don't mean not being able to stick with it, I mean doing it properly and not seeing it work.
    I think the biggest complaint, other than being hard to stick with, is that some people just can't fill up on potatoes so end up eating just as much as they were before, or being miserable. A few people complained of joint pain, like maybe a nightshade problem. Several people noted a bit of bloatage the first day or two, but mostly people who can stick with it 4 or more days in a row see about 1/2 to 1 pound a day loss. I don't think anyone complained that it all came right back when they went back to regularly scheduled eating.

If you were to do it like 1-2 days a week, I think the weight loss would be there, just hard to measure in real-time.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think the biggest complaint, other than being hard to stick with, is that some people just can't fill up on potatoes so end up eating just as much as they were before, or being miserable. A few people complained of joint pain, like maybe a nightshade problem. Several people noted a bit of bloatage the first day or two, but mostly people who can stick with it 4 or more days in a row see about 1/2 to 1 pound a day loss. I don't think anyone complained that it all came right back when they went back to regularly scheduled eating.

If you were to do it like 1-2 days a week, I think the weight loss would be there, just hard to measure in real-time.
    Well I'm aiming for 3-4 days a week and I'm already eating hypocalorically as I'm trying to lose weight, I've lost about 10 lbs in the past month. I'm guessing that because of that I won't see the initial whoosh that many people see due to water loss. I'm not really worrying that it won't work, if I'm lowering my weekly intake by 3-4000 calories something has to give right?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Tried to eat three potatoes instead of two. Haven't pooped in two days. Got that familiar horrific stabbing pain in my descending colon with every breath. Took some magnesium, giving it time.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Hotmail is offline Senior Member
    Last night, I decided to keep eating potatoes until I really had that glow of feeling happy and satisfied.. so followed Turq's advise and had cold boiled potatoes, added salt and vinegar to it only, it took 2.5lb of boiled potatoes for me to achieve that happy full feeling, the kind of satisfactions that made me comfortable not to want to eat or crave anything else, but at the same time not feeling too uncomfortable/ stuffed kind.

hmmm 2.5lbs of white potatoes that's almost 1000 calories at one sitting !! I suppose it would be OK if one had one meal a day, but if I needed two meals, then it doesn't make sense.

I wonder if with time if I get used to the potatoes I would consume less?
    I can experiment today, tomorrow I have a social lunch with a friend, so not going to be able to, unless I eat lots of potatoes before going and then not eating much there ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotmail View Post
    Last night, I decided to keep eating potatoes until I really had that glow of feeling happy and satisfied.. so followed Turq's advise and had cold boiled potatoes, added salt and vinegar to it only, it took 2.5lb of boiled potatoes for me to achieve that happy full feeling, the kind of satisfactions that made me comfortable not to want to eat or crave anything else, but at the same time not feeling too uncomfortable/ stuffed kind.

hmmm 2.5lbs of white potatoes that's almost 1000 calories at one sitting !! I suppose it would be OK if one had one meal a day, but if I needed two meals, then it doesn't make sense.

I wonder if with time if I get used to the potatoes I would consume less?
    I can experiment today, tomorrow I have a social lunch with a friend, so not going to be able to, unless I eat lots of potatoes before going and then not eating much there ?!
    Wow! I ate a pound at once and had to force down the last quarter, I can't imagine eating 2.5 times that much! Maybe with time you would lose interest as food reward decreases?

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    First day yesterday, first meal was around noon: 666 grams (that's what the scale was saying...) of boiled white potatoes and a bit of salt. Filled me up fine but had a bit of low blood sugar a few hours later somehow, a feeling I haven't had since going primal. I'm used to eating potatoes but usually with vegetables, meat and some butter. Then got called out to work a few hours later so I rushed and put a few potatoes in the microwave, this time with just a tiny bit of beans in tomato sauce (mainly for the sauce). Felt fine during work and didn't feel the need to eat when coming home at 10.30pm.
    This morning I'm down a whole kg, and half an inch on the waistline, but I guess this is just the initial "flush". Feeling good now and looking forward to my next boiled potato.

Page 21 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast