Thread: Switching to Primal Bluepring by starting with a fast + a stinky cheese question page

verndo is offline Junior Member

Switching to Primal Bluepring by starting with a fast + a stinky cheese question

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

After trying PB a few weeks ago and failing due to too many sunny days on a patio (too many beers ahem), I would like to give it another go as of tomorrow. With most things, I know I am mostly motivated when rules are strict and when it's tough.

Previously, I've done the Master Cleanse (12 day fasts with only a maple syrup lemonade) and I am quite fine with sticking with it. I like the idea of no food because that means no cheating (plus, I am not going to lie, I really like the initial motivation of seeing real weight shed off my body and it's tough enough that I am much more careful about what I eat after I complete such a feat).

I need great start up results to get me geared up and to get me to stick with it. So, how long should I fast? Should I fast using this same lemonade (its basically sugary water, kind of like the solution they must intravenously feed to people just to stay alive)? Should I fast with nothing? Should I replace the constant sugary drink (i drink little sips throughout the day) with berries, raw veggies? How long should I fast for before going PB and still get results?

Oh and about stinky cheese: while not strictly PB, cheese and me are great pals. I often eat a piece of cheese for breakfast and can last til lunch. However, when it comes to expensive, stinky cheese I can't imagine a better combo than a crunchy, chewy baguette (im French). Has anyone found an alternative I could test out? An Époisse on a celery stick just doesn't agree with me.

groquette is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion, fasting with sugary *anything* is not going to get your body into primal mode.

Per the Pennington diet you could do a 48 water fast to force the body into kicking into using fat for fuel... or you could just do a fat fast (mostly fat -- some protein). I don't know... 48 hour egg fast with butter? Omelet, poached, simmered, scrambled, over-easy... I guess it's not a fast if you're eating eggs.

As for the stinky cheese, I hear you! I've pretty much settled on eating cheese straight without the bread.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    DON'T FAST YET. That's a very bad way to start the PB. Start by eating meat and fat (eggs, steak, coconut oil, dark-meat chicken with the skin on, etc), and don't eat any starchy carbs like fruit, potatoes, grains, breads, pasta, or (it goes without saying) honey, sugar, maple syrup, etc. Your "lemonade" is straight carbs and will not let your body shift to fat burning. Do your IF three or four weeks from now after you're over the low-carb flu.

No suggestions for the baguette replacement; to be healthy we sometimes have to give things up entirely because they're bad for us.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    A true fast is no calories.

anzy is offline Member
    I would suggest a new plan. Going from grains and processed foods to zero food is just not good. First, start eating primally. Listen to your body, and later, when you start realizing that your body is okay with skipping a meal, skip it. Once you can skip a meal periodically, go the whole day if it is something that you want to do.

The problem with your current plan is that, your body is likely to just go into panic mode and force you to just grab the nearest (probably carb loaded) thing to eat. Your body has not yet had a chance to learn how to efficiently process the goodness coming in, and you will experience a drastic crash. You know all those people that say they get headaches when they skip meals? All of them eat grains/sugar/carbs as their primary source of calories. Cutting grains and sugary drinks (you need to cut all of those out by the way) will be enough of a challenge and give enough amazing results that you should feel sufficiently motivated to continue. The Master Cleanse is a gimmick (and one that is extraordinarily unhealthy btw- 12 days of sugar water- ACK!!!) and you need to forget about it. I am willing to bet you a hundred bucks that the weight you lost from it came back within a week or 2 of finishing it.

When you do fast, it's up to you how you want to go about doing it, but many people go with just water for part/whole day periodically.

As for the cheese thing- to be honest, nothing will ever be the same as a nice baguette. You have a couple options: 1) You can cheat periodically and just enjoy the hell out of it when you decide to do so 2) You can find a sufficient substitute that works for you. I really like apples and cheese together. It's different than bread and cheese for sure, but the sweetness and crunch of an apple is an amazing compliment to the savory softness of cheese. Give it a whirl.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    i agree with not fasting until you've been eating truly primal for a few weeks.

and yes, a true fast is no calories, no nothing, at least 14 hrs.

cheese doesn't need anything, its so delicious by itself.

verndo is offline Junior Member
    You guys are awesome. Thank you for the prompt replies. The apple/cheese thing is a fab idea. And I hear you all, a fast is no food and starting PB with a surgary dependency will not help me convert to a fat burning body. I just crave a good start up challenge and results fast. Yes that is cliché but heck, I'm a sprinter with things, not a marathon. I love bursts of anything vs. constant chugging along.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    With the PB, you do a lot of "sprints" in order to keep running this "marathon." Wanting a quick fix is not the way to approach it at all - you must be in it for the long haul (i.e. marathon).
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html