Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I.f. O. Yeah. page

pk79 is offline Member

I.f. O. Yeah.

Shop Now
    Any tips on fasting? I'm 13 hours in and going for 24. So far, my mind is completely screwing with me and my stomach is making loud noises. And I'm craving a steak.
    boom.

JamieBelle is offline Member
    drink some water and get busy doing something else.

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    Is this your first IF? If so 24 hours is a stretch goal, hang on a couple more hours, then eat the steak. It helps me greatly to go very low carb for a day before fasting, makes the food cravings disapear.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    You'll get used to it. When I first started, I kept thinking that my hunger should be getting worse at any time. No, I know better and I just don't worry about it anymore. My stomach tends to rumble regardless of whether or not I've actually eaten though so, I don't listen to it.

pk79 is offline Member
    This is the second. The first I did 16 hours. That was fine, just mostly mental. That one was a lot of the "no, I dont need to eat just because it's 12:30 and the person next to me is stuffing their face."
    boom.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    It helps if at 12:30 you aren't beside anyone who is stuffing their face. Go for a walk or a drive, or something else to pass that time. I usually go home for lunch and cut the lawn or do something in the garage. Helps keep my mind off of it, and also lets me hide my IF so I don't have to fight with the wife. :P

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    When I fast I find coffee and tea help beat the cravings I may experience. I know not everyone supports drinking them while fasting but well, I do.

I also find there is a bit of a disconnect between stomach noises and actual hunger. When I stop for a moment and think to myself "am I truly hungry?" the answer is usually no. It's just my stomach making a racket.
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

JimA2985 is offline Member
    Hopefully I can help a little bit with this.

I've found a lot of it to be mental, this post really helped me:

http://theleansaloon.com/2010/05/04/turn-off-the-valve/

Also, you might want to look over at Free The Animal. Richard had a post or two about what he called "fat bombs." I tried one of those during one of my first fasts and it went really well.

The other thing, as someone said, is I do think you have to build up to it. I'd start skipping breakfast, and then one day you'll find that it's lunch time and you're still not hungry.

Maybe that's just me though - I used to get really bad cravings and RAVENOUS hunger between lunch and dinner, but ever since I went Primal going without food or fasting has just been easy. I'll find myself saying "well, it's been a day, I guess I SHOULD eat something, shouldn't I?"

Good luck!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    Also, keep in mind about that nasty little hormone Ghrelin. It's what is produced in anticipation of meal timing. So when you are used to eating your body will release some Ghrelin even though you might not be hungry. Ghrelin is released due to your established habit.
    I grok, therefore I am.

pk79 is offline Member
    Ghrelin? Never heard of that one. And the fat bombs look awesome, but doesnt that go against the nature of the fast?
    boom.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast