Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your opinions on my doctor's solution for constipation? page

jenniferbarclay is offline Junior Member

What are your opinions on my doctor's solution for constipation?

Primal Fuel
    I have been severely constipated for months, about half of which I've been on minocycline for my acne. I've been taking probiotics as well. Since nothing is helping, I broke down and made an appointment with my doctor (I really don't agree with traditional medicine these days because of the complete ignorance towards nutrition).

Immediately he asked me, "Do you get enough fiber?" to which I rolled my eyes and said "Yeah, I probably get too much". I've been trying to eat more primal and reduce the amount of carbs/fiber I get to see if that will help, so hearing that really didn't make me too thrilled. He then insisted that I need to take Miralax. He started saying how it just goes through your G.I. tract without getting absorbed by the body (really? I'm gonna need your guys' opinion on this one) and that I need to be on it for the rest of my life. Yes, you heard me, my doctor wants me to take a laxative FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

I'm stuck; I'm so constipated and uncomfortable that I thought I'd be willing to try anything, but I really have to think about this one and get some opinions. I want to be HEALTHY and heal my gut and see if that will do anything for my constipation, but I've tried nearly everything and I'm running out of options. What would YOUR instincts tell you to do?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Eat a lot of fruit. I see that you are low-carb, but really, you are not doing yourself any favors. Just my 2 cents.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I've had the same problem and believe me more fiber doesn't work. I'd tried all that.

Eat High Fats, low carb. Low meaning 100 - 150 g. High fats meaning 70%. Give it 2-3 months. It will probably only take less than 1 month. Expect much less total output. Look at the Bristol poop scale.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Keep the minocyclin; stop the probiotics. Add 1-2 carrots a day away from meals, decrease/drop PUFAs and green vegetables, have an aspirin with coffee at breakfast. Don't take the laxatives.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would take the miralax for a few days just to get things moving again. Miralax really is not absorbed by the body, it just draws water in to your gut. It's pretty benign.

Long term, I would try increasing water intake, taking small doses of coconut oil, adding in some magnesium and getting a good probiotic. For people with constipation, the Garden of Life one seems to work well. Stupidly expensive, but I don't think you need to take as much as they say.

Good luck!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    have you given magnesium a try ???????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I would also say try magnesium first. Natural Calm at bedtime works well for that.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think minocyclin has been shown to disrupt gut flora over time, so you may have changed the bacteria in your gut leading to the GI difficulties.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    When you say "fiber" what type of fiber are you talking about? There is soluble fiber and insoluble fiber I dramatically cut back insoluble fiber and increased soluble fiber in the form of sweet potato(I gave up ZC/VLC because I don't believe that is the right way to eat for me. You need to eat prebiotics which will enable you to go without straining. I went twice today and during ZC/VLC I was straining for my once every 3 poop that was reminiscent of little rocks. You should look into Chris Kressors post about FODMAPS it changed my life

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    More fruit, and most especially prunes. That's what works for me.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast