Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your opinions on my doctor's solution for constipation? page 3

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I second (fourth?) the magnesium and drinking more water. (I mean, unless you're drinking tons already). Try probiotic foods instead of the supplement - esp. ones like real sauerkraut which has fiber and probiotic for ya!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    First and foremost I would recommend getting a second opinion. Perhaps a naturopath.

I went to an MD doctor about, erm, bowel issues. She prescribed the fiber stuff to take daily. Ick. I'm not sure whether or not it worked because I quit taking it after about a week. I went and got a second opinion from another clinic (an RNP, actually) and she recommended I go to the store and buy probiotics. The probiotics worked for me, and I take them whenever I start getting these "issues." They are also cheaper than the fiber crud. I would try other options before succumbing to the prescription--remember, doctors are sales persons for pharma--they do honestly try to help you, but typically recommend medication as the first solution. I would recommend to get a second opinion, but also just go to the store and try buying some probiotics. It makes sense because changes in bacteria change your stools. Every time I get on antibiotics I see this happening, and the probiotics change it too.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    I used to take psyllium (husk) daily for years and years with my morning coffee. Would make the poop just fly out.

this one is cheap and has a very fine texture: Source Naturals, Psyllium Husk Powder, 12 oz (340 g) - iHerb.com

It rapidly absorbs a large quantity of water, so mix it in a drink and either drink it right away or let it stand a bit but expect it to be slippery and perhaps unappetizing at that point. I got used to it and didn't mind it as a beverage supplement.

I am out of the habit of taking it now that I am more primal. Eating a lot of vegetables is typically sufficient to be good. Magnesium and more water intake are good ideas also.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

What are your opinions on my doctor's solution for constipation?

Magnesium and drinking hot liquids help.

High protein, low fat/carb stops you up. Either increase fat or carbs. Either works. You'll probably get a ton of advice to either effect. (Meaning omg eat moar carbs! Omg eat moar fat!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123