Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your opinions on my doctor's solution for constipation? page 2

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    From what I've read cereal fibre simply increases the frequency of your stools, but doesn't make you less constipate. General fibre (from fruits veggies) either helps or does nothing.

Eating lots of prunes may be one method. So is increasing your salt intake, or drinking more water. You may want to use the drug for a while, but not your whole life.
    http://lifemutt.blogspot.sg/ - Gaming, Food Reviews and Life in Singapore

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    My grandpa had the same issue with his bowel. He used the laxative for a few days. After that he started to take 1 tbsp of flaxseed every morning. It works great for him. Maybe you can give it a try.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

BenP is offline Member
    I'd also suggest magnesium citrate is worth a try. Otherwise the only "fibre" (sorry I'm from the uk...hence my spelling) I'd look at would be psillieum (sp?)

wizabel is offline Junior Member
    hey there

sorry that you are feeling so crummy. i would agree with previous posts suggesting adding a bit more fruit and definitely more fat. from a personal perspective- nuts, prunes and figs can work well, as can psyllium husks mixed with water. (had to do the drug-free thing during preganacy). the problem you can have with medical laxatives is that eventually you will need to take more of them to get the same effect, as your bowel becomes reliant on them to function.

also- constipation is when the stool is hard and compacted, often difficult to pass. you can go daily and still be constipated. bristol stool chart is good for a visual aid to determine what you've got

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm shocked that a doctor would tell a patient to medicate for the rest of her life before going in a nutritional or supplement direction. Did you ask her/him if she/he owned a lot of stock in the company that produces the laxative?

I think I'd be trying the suggestions above, and trying to find a sweet spot between eating lower carb and increasing fruit. IOW, berries are on the lower carb end of fruits, but I'm a poopin' machine during strawberry season. Increasing things like mango will be carby. Some people also seem to go faster (sometimes too fast) if they eat coconut oil. Also, you might try warm liquids throughout the day - bone broth, a cup of coffee or tea, even warm lemon water.

ETA: There's also senna in the form of tea. It can be addictive like any other laxative, but if you can use it to get out from under chronic constipation, then wean yourself off of it, it might help.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Prunes definitely. They contain sorbitol which works in much the same way as that laxative. It also provides food for good gut bugs.

Also magnesium really does help. And much fatty goodness.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget squatting. Regardless of stool consistency, proper elimination posture will help. If you are new to squatting, try a minute of crab-walking before you get on the toilet. And hang out for a minute or two, before 'trying'.

Lots of good threads on this topic on the forum.

Cavemanclan is offline Junior Member
    My naturopathic dr. Suggested that it is often less advantageous to use laxatives, rather try enemas for a short time...her theory is that it can cause damage and continued constipation from staring using the upper muscles involved. It made sense to me (had terrible issues from pharma meds) and took less than a week to correct 6 mos of constipation (as in only able to "go" 2x per wk!). I know, TMI, but the pain and discomfort should not be suffered!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    If you're needing immediate relief, I'd try senna capsules or liquid magnesium citrate(10 ounce bottle followed by 24 ounces of water). The 24 ounces of water and then as many liquids as you can tolerate thru the day are important to prevent dehydration and maintain kidney function. Either one can clean you out in around 12 hours.

I read a study a while ago about high fiber diets NOT relieving constipation, if I find the link, I'll post it for you.

After you get some immediate relief, you could try the miralax for a while to keep things regular while you're taking the minocycline
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast