Thread: PCOS grokette's foray into primal (and other musings)

PCOS grokette's foray into primal (and other musings)

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

I have been shyly lurking for a couple of weeks now as I wait for my copy of Primal Blueprint to arrive in the post. I started my new Primal/Paleo lifestyle two weeks ago, simply by cutting out wheat and about 99% of processed sugar. This is a HUGE thing for me as I have had a major carb addiction since I was a child (I'm 38 now). Bread, pasta, chocolate and all things sugary have been my crutch and my comfort food.

I don't know why, but at the age of 3 when I had my tonsils removed I suddenly refused all vegetables except for potato and corn. According to my mother, until then I LOVED my vegies and ate them with gusto. But after the tonsilectomy my eating habits suddenly changed.

Through childhood I was active and not overweight, although I wasn't a skinny child like all my friends were, I didn't have stick thin arms and legs which they all did. I was still in the "normal" weight range for my age and height and I was always taller than my friends but kids can be cruel so I did cop a bit of bullying and got called fat on a few occasions (I know I wasn't but the name stuck and I started to believe I was).

Since puberty my weight gain has gone crazy.

At my heaviest weight I was 96.1kg / 211 pounds. I had been on the Pill for several years and I think this is what really caused my weight to balloon, coupled with my sugar cravings and poor food choices.

I joined Weight Watchers in 2000 and lost 20kg, going from an Australian size 18 to a 14 (12 at a squeeze). I forced myself to start eating vegetables and I was shocked to discover that I actually LIKED them! I was going bushwalking every weekend in the Blue Mountains, going to the gym 2-3 times a week doing resistance training and yoga, I was at my fittest ever.

I have always had heavy painful periods since my early teens and they have got progressively worse to the point where they are debilitating and I can't leave the house for two days each cycle.

In early 2004 at age 28 I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, my ovaries were riddled with cysts and my cycles were a mess. I wasn't ovulating but I was bleeding for weeks or months without relief. My GP prescribed Diane 35 pill to reduce my PCOS symptoms but within 5 months of starting it I suffered a stroke.

By 2006 I was married and trying to conceive, my cycles were anovulatory again and I was bleeding non stop. I was prescribed Norethisterone to start a new cycle then did four cycles of Clomid. I conceived and miscarried twice while on Clomid. As a result I suffered from suicidal depression for almost a year I conceived and miscarried twice more in 2008, both natural conceptions as my cycles had normalized after using Clomid. In 2008 I had a Laparoscopy/HSG and it was discovered that I also have Endometriosis.

From 2004 to 2006 the weight crept back on. Again, I lost 20kg at Weight Watchers but this time I was leaner and stronger due to the physical demands of my farming business. But in 2008 the business died so my husband and I left Australia to live in the UK for a few years. My weight crept back on again, I was living an unhappy existence in the UK and my marriage crumbled.

So now I am back in Australia, picking up the fragments of my life and feeling so uncomfortable in my own skin, I know I need to do something different this time, Weight Watchers is crap and doesn't work, I've learned that the hard way and lost alot of money for the privilege. I have done the Gabriel Method on and off, I know it works so I am implementing some of the principles of that and incorporating it into a Primal lifestyle.

As of October 7th 2013 I weighed 94kg / 206 pounds. Just in the last two weeks I have lost 2.6kg / 5.5 pounds by cutting out wheat/grains/dairy/processed sugar, so so happy about that, I really haven't done anything else. Oh, I have started taking probiotics every day so I am sure that's helping.

Well done if you got through that, it's a super condensed version and I've probably left alot out which I guess will be revealed in time.

Welcome Belinda, thankyou for sharing your story, especially the hard parts. It sounds like your health has been a difficult issue for a very long time, I hope that with time and healthy primal food you will experience continued improvements. Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Welcome Belinda, thankyou for sharing your story, especially the hard parts. It sounds like your health has been a difficult issue for a very long time, I hope that with time and healthy primal food you will experience continued improvements. Best wishes.
    Thanks Annie... the hard parts have been really really hard... unimaginably hard.

Belinda, welcome and it is great that you are here! I am huge fan of eating primal for women with PCOS because it helps me so much. I underwent all sorts of treatments as well to try to get pregnant with no luck. My heart goes out to you with all that you have been through.

Shop Now
    Thank you so much.

I hope Primal is the ultimate solution, it seems to be working. I have been low carb, dairy free, grain free for a month now and have lost 4kg. Easiest I have ever lost, but at the same time, I'm only just beginning. Still another 30kg to go.

I am coming to the end of a year long floristry course so haven't been thinking much about Primal, the book has arrived but I haven't read it yet, just need to get this course finished (two more weeks!) then I need to find a job and get stuck into some reading