Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can't Fix My Legs. Doctors/PT's Won't Help page 6

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloMeteor View Post
    My problems started while squatting consistently, and while consistently trying to keep my toes and knees lined up.
    I have a lot of doubt your knees and toes were indeed lined up all that time, based on your squat video. Have you looked at your femur angle relative to your foot angle at the bottom of the squat?

I don't want to do the lowbar powerlifting squat. I suppose I grew up on the high bar squat, and it's what I know and like.
    Is there a reason you're against low-bar squats (which are not powerlifting squats, btw)? Do you know what the difference between high-bar and low-bar is, and how it affects the musculature, and the knees?

It's fine to do, or not do, whatever you wish, I just want to make sure you're aware of the facts behind your decision.

Bottom line. It's not a problem squatting will fix. Something it out of alignment. And I only risk injury by squatting to get better.
    I am still not sure what the injury is that you get from squatting. If it is your back, have you read what I posted earlier about that? If it's your knees, consider the point above. If it's a muscle imbalance, squats will indeed fix it - with time.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I guess I agree with the others that you should keep squatting. Barring that, walk more up hills and mountains. Walking fixes a lot of things.

The reason I say keep squatting or walking is that last July something went out of whack in me. I just didn't feel right. It was so vague and it didn't seem to go away. I could still squat okay and hike okay, even backpack, but I just didn't feel straight or right or something. One day, after having spent several sleepless nights with a lot of pain in my lower back and butt region, I was leaning forward at the dinner table and felt this pop in my back. It was enough that I went "oof". After that I have felt straight and right again. Also, I do not like to take pain medication but I did take ibuprofen to help me sleep right before this happened. Perhaps that also helped.

My problem was all in my back and butt while yours is in your knees so you aren't going to have the same experience. But I think you should just keep using your knees. Maybe not squats, maybe something else, but keep putting some kind of stimulus on them and on the regions that connect to your knees, basically everything in your posterior chain. Make this stimulus something that forces the issue somewhat gently. Perhaps whatever is out of whack will move back to where it should be.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever tried not squating? Do you do any warm up? Have you tried other knee extension exercises? Glute/hip activation drills? Hamstring work? Unweighted unilateral movements? Do you perform lateral movements in your program? Static or dynamic? Hip openers and stretches? Below parallel body weight squats, duck walks, lizard/tiger/bear/crab walks?

Another question. You say that your knees don't feel "right" as opposed to what? What does feel "right"?

hoblingoblin is offline Junior Member
    Hi HelloMeteor.

My goodness i can sympathize with you. I had an incident playing adult rec soccer that torqued my right knee externally and ever since my leg has been more or less useless for me. Been to every doc type, MRIs negative, Nerve conduction tests negative, nothing offered for me. Tried PT about 5 separate periods of time, all did nothing for me. I now rely on forearm crutches for primary ambulation.

My biggest complaint too would be something to the effect "My leg just doesn't feel right, out of alignment in some manner, lower leg not in sync with upper leg" My muscles around my hip simply don't activate when they should to stablize me and my foot isn't acting like a foundation for movement.

So 3.5 years later its almost time to either (a) come to terms with it and just drag it along as deadweight as i use my good leg + crutches or even (b) resort to self-amputation. (hey its better than suicide right?) I know I'll freak people out and "disappoint" people in my life (the ones who haven't simply moved on and forgotten I exist), but there comes a point where you must take control and do SOMETHING about it. am i right? Well, I haven't lost all hope, but close. I am a bit of a coward and narcissist which may make taking any sort of plunge difficult.

For you, my advice would be to do something about it or continue to suffer the psychological and emotional baggage that comes with a problem with no diagnosis and no help from doctors. I mean, I'm tormented by my issue and imagine you are by yours. We are creatures that need answers, need some sort of logic for what happens to us in this life. Some are religious and just say "It's the will of God". Boy do I wish i were like that and could accept it that way so blindly. Had to be a scientist and logic, seeing is believing type of person.

Well, i wish you best of luck and hope you have a support system and things to provide joy in your life.

HelloMeteor is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoblingoblin View Post
    Hi HelloMeteor.

My biggest complaint too would be something to the effect "My leg just doesn't feel right, out of alignment in some manner, lower leg not in sync with upper leg" My muscles around my hip simply don't activate when they should to stablize me and my foot isn't acting like a foundation for movement.
    That's EXACTLY what I feel like.

Doctors suck. I've only been to one doctor in my life that actually did anything great for me. That was because I was going to die from appendicitis.

sjoshua is online now Member
    That's EXACTLY what I feel like.

Doctors suck. I've only been to one doctor in my life that actually did anything great for me. That was because I was going to die from appendicitis.
    I think I am working through a very similar issue for myself. Seeing your squat video reinforced this. I'm a 30YO male.

I've been seeing doc's and chiro's for years to try to fix it... My body can make the movements it needs to, but it accomplishes them in a non-traditional fashion (that "looks" proper at a glance, but is incorrect if analyzed... just no one can analyze with x-ray vision!). My leg muscles are tight, so instead of them stretching as they should when squatting down, they are essentially locked and instead my hips and back do the bend/rotating. The only difference is the resulting pain for me has always been in my back rather than my legs. I have the same gripes as you as far as squat load goes too. 185# is what I am forced to stick with so I avoid injury.

This stuff is very hard to explain in text... although its not much easier to describe in person either lol. My girlfriend is a massage therapist, and I still don't think she fully understands, but she is beginning to grasp the concept (4 years later).

I've given up on others being able to help me and taken matters into my own hands. From my own research and conscious awareness of my body, I've determined that the majority of the issue is due to my body not supporting itself properly with the posterior chain. This is a result of too much sitting at a computer, since this reinforced the pitched forward neck which shifted the tension away from the posterior chain.

I could be way off base, but I'm guessing you have a desk job. I have made greater strides in the last few weeks than I have in the few years prior, and the one change I made was switching to a standing desk at work. Do it, you won't regret it.

Could it be a meniscus issue?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Could it be a meniscus issue?
    I forget if you had MRI, but that would show on that particular test.

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend checking these guys out:

PRI | Home

Also, Bill Hartman.

Cheers
    Webptrainer.com
    The Latest in Nutrition and Anatomy-Based Personal Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    I highly recommend checking these guys out:

PRI | Home

Also, Bill Hartman.

Cheers
    I worked with Bill Hartman and Mike Robertson at IFAST. I drove the 10 hours to get there for an assessment. I got pain during the program they gave me, which wasn't helping anyway, and so stopped.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456