Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating and supplements page

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member

Eating and supplements

Shop Now
    Wondering how others deal with this...as I get further into PB, there are times when I'm not really feeling hungry, but I take supplements three times a day and if I take them on an empty stomach I get very nauseous and I haven't been able to just wait it out - I have to put something in my belly. So even though I want to listen to my body more, I'm still eating at least three times a day because I don't want to get hit with that nausea, especially at work. So this morning even though I'm not feeling hungry, I'm eating a sausage and some sauerkraut so that I can get my supplements down. I don't know how I can ever IF unless I skip the supps too.

Anyone else have this problem? Ideas on how to deal with it? I was able to get them down with just a soy latte as breakfast, but since I gave up soy I'm finding that coffee with coconut milk isn't having the same effect...maybe I just need to have coffee with my coconut milk.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Do you take large handfuls of supplements at one gulp? Maybe things would work out better if you stretched the supplement ingestion out over a bit more time.

I assume you are taking supplements that you need and that help you feel better. I am not going to try to preach about what to take and why-----or why not. Supplements have their place.

You might like to try a book called "The Green Pharmacy" by a man named James Duke. You might find that some of the nutrients that you seek can be supplied better by foods than by supplements. Any other book on naturopathy might also be useful.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Uhhhhh....when I IF, just skip my supps.
    Is that bad?
    Even my fish oil bugs me if I take it on an empty stomach, so....

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I would say it sort of depends on how often you IF. If you only IF once a week, then I would say go ahead and skip the supplements during that time if you need to. It shouldn't be a big deal.

Any other thoughts?
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I take my supps in the morning fasted... never had any stomach issues. Then again, my stomach is pretty solid and I hardly ever feel nauseous or anythign like that.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    So this morning even though I'm not feeling hungry, I'm eating a sausage and some sauerkraut so that I can get my supplements down. I don't know how I can ever IF unless I skip the supps too.
    I do also have that problem. If I dont eat, I don't take my supplements. What are you taking? Do you *have* to divided them into 3 daily doses?

When I know I'll be eating less frequently, I just pile what supps I can into that meal. FE, yesterday I had breakfast and dinner so I took what I could at those times.

There were a few things I couldn't take, but I was able to get most in....

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

I can do that. I do take a bunch of supps in one "gulp" as it were, and I was directed to take them three times a day with meals. But I can try splitting them up into two doses once in a while, and see how that goes. My mood has historically really started to dive if I miss too many doses, but one dose every several days should be fine, and my mood has been much more stable since I went primal anyway, so it's totally worth a try. Thanks, y'all! Sometimes the answer seems so obvious once you hear it from someone else...

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

MattyD is offline Member
    When I IF I miss out on EVERYTHING except water. It's fasting, and I think a small amount of fish oil/vitamin d3 can hinder a fast.

In my mind supplementation should be that. SUPPLEMENTATION! I take capsules of things I do not get in my diet, try improving diet rather than relying on lots of supplements. I only take omega3 fish oil and vitamin d3 as I cannot buy grass fed meat and I don't think many modern humans get enough sun exposure to produce enough vitamin d3.

Summary: When IF I do not supplement.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ommmmaggie View Post
    My mood has historically really started to dive if I miss too many doses
    Me too. I really have to watch the fish oil, zinc, d and b complexes. And mag.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Cillakat, talk to me about magnesium if you please. I have a feeling that I'm deficient (mostly from restlessness and easy cramping in my calves, sometimes so bad I can't sleep) and it's not currently in my supp rotation except in my multi. Here's what I currently take:

Daily (usually in 3 doses): True Hope EmpowerPlus (15 caps), 2000mg Cod Liver Oil (Carlson's), 3000iu Vit D3 (Now Brand), 3000mg Olive Leaf Extract (to kill Candida in my gut - I will probably discontinue this after what you said about upping Vit D rather than trying to kill the Candida)

I get magnesium from the EmpowerPlus - 600mg per day. I'm also getting 1320mg calcium from the EmpowerPlus every day. Thoughts?

P.S. And I take Phosphatidyl Choline as needed to stop anxious/intrusive thoughts. Usually not more than 1-2x/month.
    Last edited by ommmmaggie; 06-10-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast