Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo/Primal storable emergency food page

Maureane is offline Junior Member

Paleo/Primal storable emergency food

Shop Now
    I am looking for some food to stash and have actually found a couple of purveyors of organic. However, way, way carb loaded, I think if I really had to eat this stuff for a week I would turn myself into a diabetic.

Do you have any bright ideas about primal emergency food? I don't eat wheat or GMO and only really eat meat because my naturopath begged me to, so I sorta like it.

What do you think? I feel compelled to have a stash and a plan and know once I get this done I will have a little more peace of mind. I like the stuff I see that saves for 25 years! And it is organic! But, I don't want to eat mostly carbs.

Thanks, Maureen

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Paleo/Primal storable emergency food

I saw someone mentioned on another thread that spam is actually almost primal.

Other than that I can only think of canned tuna and other seafood.... But probably will not last 25 years. Usually only frankenfoods last that long.

Chili?? Maybe if you can find some decent brand of meat chili.

Jerky would last a while but certainly not 25 yrs.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 10-21-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    coconut oil. sardines. eggs, if you coat them in oil, will last a damn long time unrefrigerated. of course, if you have pet bunnies, they won't last 25 years, but they are a renewable resource.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    You might need to make your own pemmican if you want food that lasts 25 years.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    I swap out my emergency supplies out once a year so I am not worried about them lasting 25 years. I have canned fish, oysters and clams, a tin of mixed nuts, gluten free crackers and a few BeKind bars. I also have two large bottles of water and enough dog food for two days. I am not a fan of SPAM but it would work in an emergency. Next time I change out my food I am going to add some dried fruit.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    If you have a canning pressure cooker, there is no reason not to can your own meat (beef, chicken, pork, even bacon). It must be a PRESSURE COOKER, not just a canner, since you cannot safely can in a hot water bath for low acid foods. Plus, you can add veggies that you KNOW your source, and not just what the Green Giant packs.

Water is most important, so to vh67, I would suggest having A LOT more water, since the dog might get thirsty too. The rule of thumb is one gallon per person (or critter) per day. This is mainly just for consuming, you may want more for washing up (body, dishes, etc).

It warms my heart to see folks stocking up for "just in case". Plus, things are cheaper now than they will be 6 months from now, so stock up while prices are currently at the lowest.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Are you talking emergency as in, "My city/town/whatever might be out of electricity and fresh water for more than a week?" or emergency as in, "U.S. currency has just been deemed toilet paper, and there are zombies eating the neighborhood animals?"
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't be worried about too many carbs in your emergency rations. The only things I wouldn't include are anything that causes me issues. So nothing containing gluten for and no/limited vegetable oils, being bloated and having stomach cramps doesn't help fighting/running from zombies

Nice reminder, I'm all out of pemican and jerky at the moment. Now if I can just find the box my dehydrator is packed away in...

I always have at least 20 litres of water and a weeks worth of meat for both humans and dogs in the freezer, which could be a feast/gorgefest for 2 or 3 days if the power goes out. But we're now in bore water and will be putting in at least solar power if not also a couple of wind turbines, so as long as "the event" doesn't damage my infrastructure we'll be good for power and water anyway.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

vh67 is online now Senior Member
    I have two sets of emergency supplies. The one I described above is my grab and go bag, which is why it is only two large bottles of water. I also have more water in my car. That is for is we have a grass/brush fire or earthquake and I have to leave the house in a hurry.

I also have a set of emergency supplies that are just for the house, including extra potable water in the garage and the shed, plenty of frozen, dried and canned foods and a small emergency generator. There is also always an extra bag of dog food and a stash of fresh dog toys. My SIL bought us several emergency radios that are both solar and crank powered last year when we moved to earthquake country, so we have one in the house and one in each car.

One thing I need to do and I keep forgetting to do is make a copy of my dogs shot records and put them in my car and grab and go bag. Most shelters here will not take animals without them.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vh67 View Post
    I have two sets of emergency supplies. The one I described above is my grab and go bag, which is why it is only two large bottles of water. I also have more water in my car. That is for is we have a grass/brush fire or earthquake and I have to leave the house in a hurry.

I also have a set of emergency supplies that are just for the house, including extra potable water in the garage and the shed, plenty of frozen, dried and canned foods and a small emergency generator. There is also always an extra bag of dog food and a stash of fresh dog toys. My SIL bought us several emergency radios that are both solar and crank powered last year when we moved to earthquake country, so we have one in the house and one in each car.

One thing I need to do and I keep forgetting to do is make a copy of my dogs shot records and put them in my car and grab and go bag. Most shelters here will not take animals without them.
    Lots of great ideas there
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast